51 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2014 8:35 AM by ks77 RSS

TSA and stowaways

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

She's done it again:

Habitual airline stowaway, 62, arrested after she managed to sneak through TSA checkpoint and fly from San Jose to Los Angeles without a ticket | Mail Online

So I still want to know why I have to take my shoes and jacket off and my liquids and every electronic device out!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: TSA and stowaways
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ProfChiara,

You forget, "You are a normal citizen"!  You get picked on, (As I do), but if you have a "Screw loose", you get treated differently!

If I did not laugh, I would !

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Now I get why I'm treated as I am, too many screws loose!!!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I saw that story on the news tonight.  I wonder if she picked Southwest Airlines on purpose since they have an open seating policy.  Otherwise she may have gotten caught before take off. 

vaboywnder,

So correct you are!

I try to never fly SW Airlines for that reason!  Give me an assigned seat!

jerrycoin,

That is definitely the biggest drawback to Southwest is the seating policy!  Otherwise they are a pretty descent airline.  I guess the only advantage to their open seating policy is if you had to book a last minute flight then you still have the opportunity to get a more desirable seat.

vaboywnder,

Always pay the extra charge, I think it is $10 or $15 each, to get early boarding!

I think flying SW is a "Stress test", and usually I "Flunk-it"!

jerrycoin,

Your right the extra $15 is worth the extra piece of mind.  Then you just have to make sure that nothing makes you late to the gate otherwise you are just throwing money away.

Sadly, she either outsmarted the SWA flight attendants and hit in the lav when they were counting passengers before closing the boarding door, or worse for safety purposes the flight attendants did not count the passengers at all to give the Captain an accurate number of people on board.

It would seem if they did not have the accurate count it should in my opinion be yet another safety violation on SWA in addition to the proposed 12 million the FAA wants to issue them for other violations.

The news report I heard said she had done this successfully two previous time and also had a history of mental illness.  How reassuring to the traveling public!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

profchiara, The part that bothers me is not only did she get past TSA with no boarding pass she was able to get on the plane as well. She managed to get past the TSA agent by somehow piggybacking a large family. Okay, so shes in the airport without a boarding pass, that looks bad but probably not that big a deal from a security standpoint. The problem I have, (and I have never flown SWA so maybe someone can fill me in) but how was she able to board the plane without a boarding pass? Aren't those scanners that the GA scans your pass with supposed to record you as you get on? I just don't get it. It just doesn't seem to be that difficult a process and yet this stuff still happens.

It gets even better -- check out this denial of responsibility.  (BTW, San Jose Airport seems to have a regular problems with this.)

TSA, San Jose Airport Officials Say Woman’s Stowaway Flight Was Not A Security Breach « CBS San Francisco

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

profchiara   Typical TSA response. They said it wasn't a security breach because she was scanned. Okay, but how exactly is having someone without credentials (in this case a boarding pass) in a secure area without those credentials not a breach? It is. The reality is, if she had already violated her probation the previous week, what was she doing being allowed in the general public? I don't know enough about her situation to comment on her treatment, but I would have to imagine that a person who has tried to board airliners many times and has been issued a restraining order against them, and has violated their probation should either be under strict psychiatric care, or in some sort of institution. 

But instead they let her on a plane...

ks77,

You make great points, it gets even more disturbing when we realize the number of pieces to this puzzle she stole in order to make it on to that plane.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Yikes, this is the airport that I thought I would fly in and out of to Hawaii.

pluto77,

Isn't San Jose where the kid flew in the "Wheel Well", to Hawaii, and survived?

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

You bet! You can sneak in the back door and fly below the wing or through the front door and fly above the wing as well. I guess you don't even need to sneak as anyone can get on a plane there without a ticket.

Perhaps some of us fed up with the TSA and security protocols should take a 'simpler' route, especially if we are not mentally ill.

ProfChiara,

I sometimes think you need to be "Mentally ILL" to even fly anywhere today!

That last experience in Rome, 3+ hours prior to the flight was too much!

ks77,

"Ladycoin" and I are ready to get our "Free flight", out of San Jose!  We haven't figured out who gets the "Wheel Well" and who goes "Above the wing" yet!

Thanks for the information!

Jerry, you need to plan this out.  You, like an old Twilight Zone story, must stay on the wing (I think William Shatner played that part, and since these days he represents priceline, it is fitting), and put Lady Coin, properly warmified with blankets and supplied with lots of water and first class meals can be stowed safely in the back portion of the wheel well.

ProfChiara,

We are ready to "Take the plunge"!

She will need her "Fur", for the wheel well!

San Jose, here we come!  We figured we could save something like $100 on the flight to LAX.  It will be hard for us to use our "Free drink tickets" from the wheel well?

IMG_2835.JPG

We are dressed for the trip!  I may need a little "Anti-Freeze" for the wheel well!  I'll be thinking of my "Guardian Angel", IAHFLYR!

Glad you're prepared.  But while you're on the wing and Nancy is in the wheel well, the stowaway may be getting your drinks.  She tried again yesterday at LAX:

Stowaway banned from LAX is arrested again after returning to airport - LA Times

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

profchiara   Okay so she is homeless and desperate. It doesn't make what she did okay but it at least makes a little bit more sense. She should probably be in a state institution of some sort.

ProfChiara,

Thank-you for the advice!  BTW, I think I have sat next to this crazy woman on a few of my flights?

She was dressed like a man sometimes, or wore different outfits, but she was bizarre!

I think I have too, Jerry!  I still don't see how she got on planes some of the time, since every checkpoint I pass I have to show IDs and boarding passes one or more times.

And while on the wing, Jerry, I'd make sure your vodka was 150 proof .  Of course then you'll still be flying after you land!

I think Jerry has already been in the "juice" this morning!!!!

I agree, IAHFLYR -- I think he's already packing the bags and imagining the adventure of a lifetime strapped to the wing of a plane (while sipping some of the juice).  And Jerry, if you get really energized by it all, you can stand on the wing and be like the guy who scared William Shatner.  Here's a two minute clip of it:

Shatner v The Gremlin -- Two Minute Twilight Zone Project -- Nightmare at 20,000 feet - YouTube

There's a great line for you in the youtube, Jerry:  "He's not there now.  He jumps away any time someone might see him." And get out your woolies.

ProfChiara and IAHFLYR,

There is nothing like the "Smell of Vodka" in the morning!

I think I woke up with that "Stowaway", she was in my dreams last night!!

Can't get her out of my mind!  What a way to travel!

Therapy Jerry, severe amounts of therapy for sure! LOL

But just think of the thrills, IAHFLYR and jerrycoin!  You'd be flying with the bird and you could scare passengers out of their wits if you jumped up and down on the wing and even came close to their window!  (Vodka bottle in hand, which would probably reassure the passengers, rather than the reverse.)  But again, don't forget the woolies.

That's some funny stuff, at least it's better than having the pilot's holding the bottle of "V"!!

Alas, yes -- and as we know all too well, that has happened.  I'd rather have Jerry jumping up and down on the wing in his woolie suit with his bottle than the pilot drinking one in the cockpit.

They should use that Twilight Zone clip with William Shatner in a priceline commercial.

Jerry do not think of getting the and IV from the brake line, it won't taste nearly as good yet it will probably keep you from freezing!

IAHFLYR,

No "Brake line for me"!

I will take a "Break" with some real anti-freeze!  Vodka?

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

When I first saw this story on the news -- and every time I've seen it since -- I was reminded of Helen Hayes' 1970 Oscar-winning role as the elderly stowaway in the original Airport film. Back then, everyone sort of went, "Awwww, isn't she sweet?" with no thoughts of terror. Of course, Van Heflin sitting next to her was packin' a bomb, which he carried on with absolutely no problems.

It really points out how much things have changed over the past 40-some-odd years. And now I'm thinking, "Where's Joe Patroni when we really need him?"

patroni.jpg

I loved that movie, that sweet stowaway!!!  I think I used to work with Patroni long ago or at least before they thankfully removed smoking from government buildings!!!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Gets my vote for the greatest disaster flick of all time.

Cockpit qualified young man: [after the plane gets out of the ditch] The instruction book said that was impossible.

Joe Patroni: That's one nice thing about the 707. It can do everything BUT read.

[throws his chewed and soggy cigar over his shoulder]

Maybe LAX instead?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Prof,

AS (we would make use of their annual companion certificate) doesn't fly to KOA, HNL, etc. from LAX (unless on an AA codeshare, but no companion cert), but they do fly n/s from SJC as well as OAK (and itineraries are better).  I've recently grown to loathe the 4 hr. drive to LAX (and flying to LAX is expensive for some reason - it costs twice what it costs to fly to SAN, which is 50% farther).  SJC is much closer, 2.5 hrs, and can use a cat. 4 cert. there, plus free parking.  But then there's the lousy security, so... (Still can't figure out how anyone can get past TSA and the gate agent without a boarding pass, and then later the gate agent or F/A must do a head count prior to cabin doors closing, which should match the number of boarding passes scanned at the gate.)

Hi IAHFLYR,

Can you tell I am in waiting mode till school begins (even with my trip to Sorrento upcoming)?

It occurred to me that with the help of Pingreeman as our financial expert, we could launch a start-up airline (with subsidies from France) called Grey Goose Airways.  In the advertisements, you could portray the pilot, holding a real goose in hand, I could play the purser giving directions on "when (not if) we evacuate the plane," and Jerry can be the upstart passenger who likes to show his wings.  Nancy can try to keep Jerry from opening the doors en route, while she also issues her directives that we must land in Paris.

Whaddaya think?

ProfChiara,

Wonderful idea!

We have to have Grey Goose, it's French!

So Jerry, will you be the entrepreneur behind Grey Goose Airlines?  IAHFLYR will be the pilot, I will be the purser, William Shatner will be the advertising agent, and I expect we can enlist a whole lot of MRIs for various positions in our new airline.  Nancy can be the Travel Agent. I've already suggested Pingreeman as CEO.  Any other volunteers for positions? I can see GGA as BEST AIRLINE OF THE YEAR by 2016.

ProfChiara,

I just watched "Love Boat" on TV!

I don't like that show, but maybe we could launch, "Love Jet"?

What fun this would be!  Maybe Marriott would redeem points to fly on "LJ"!

We would only fly certain routes!  Houston, Monterrey, Honolulu, Protland, MA, STL, and a few others to Paris, Monte Carlo, London, Rome, and Athens!

Sign me up....will be on top of the industry in no time!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Why is anyone surprised, it is run by the government!!! We would be better off ( and it would cost us a lot less) to outsource this to a private business.

The TSA is offering $5K for great ideas for innovation in security.  Yours is exactly the one I favor -- eliminating them altogether.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

profchiara  I have to agree...getting rid of them altogether might be the best plan!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...