19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2014 6:03 PM by jerrycoin RSS

niagara falls hotels and attractions

jack613 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

which of the following hotels would my fellow insiders recommend? we are planning a trip to niagara falls,ontario. the options are the courtyard niagara falls,the marriott fallsview hotel and spa,or the marriott gateway on the falls. i would like to leave the car at the hotel and be able to walk to the attractions.  can someone enlighten me as to what the clinton hill area is like?  any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Niagara Falls, Canada
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
  • Re: niagara falls hotels and attractions
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have stayed at the CY and Fallsview.  The Fallsview is really nice but more expensive.  If you do stay there, it is worth paying for the view and not hoping for an upgrade.  Parking also costs more.  The CY is a typical CY and Clifton Hill is an entertainment area with several wax museums, mini golf, restaurants, etc.

You can walk to the falls from either and this is good since you cannot park.

Breakfast at the Marriott was really good.  The CY has a restaurant on site that you must pay for even if elite and the food is so-so.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

californian,

Say's it best!

Having stayed at all the choices, you can't go wrong!  Please do yourself a favor and review previous posts on Niagara Falls!  One thing that you should not forget is Niagara-on-the-Lake!  a short drive, but a beautiful and most interesting place to "Take a step back in time"!  A lot of small shops, classy dining, and a break from the crowds at the beautiful falls!

Good luck!

jack613 Silver

niagara on the lake sounds intersting,relaxing and fun!  i appreciate the advice and for giving me new ideas.

jack613 Silver

the courtyard is much cheaper and parking as well although no fallsview rooms.  thank you for shedding some light on the clifton hill area.      not yet sure about the hotels

When I stayed at the Fallsview, I paid for the view and really enjoyed the hotel.  I also paid the greater parking fee.  For that time, it was worth the additional.  The last time, I was getting in late and leaving mid-day so it was not worth the additional money.  The CY was fine for that stay.

Niagara on the lake is a nice place and people enjoy it but I found it to be crowded each time I have been there.  The last time, I drove about an hour out of my way on the way to the airport intending to have lunch.  I was unable to find a parking place and with the crowds figured that it would take more time for lunch than I had so I just went on my way.  So if you go, make sure that you have time.  The drive there is nice too.

californian,

Yes, so true, like most places, during the week is a lot better time to go than week-ends!  I would do my week-ends at the Falls Area, where they can better handle the large crowds, and you can walk to most attractions!  Here are a few of my favorites from the area:

IMG_2578.JPG

Nice CL at Fallsview!  Note the brightness, it is caused by the wonderful view of the falls area.  One bit of advice, if you like an "Adult Beverage", BYOB, it is very expensive in this area!

IMG_2584.jpg

This revolving restaurant is a "Big Deal and worth it"  priced right, the view is fantastic, and the food very good, here is a view from it.

IMG_2594.JPG

There are a lot of places of interest you can walk to as well,

IMG_2639.jpg

At the IMAX, there is a wonderful museum on Niagara Falls!  Enjoy it!

Have a wonderful trip!

Jerry,

I was there on a weekday at lunch time.  Maybe later would be better.

Nice pictures.

californian,

Yes, you were there at a peak time!  Here's a few shots at Niagara-on-the-Lake!

IMG_2605.JPG

Colorful, clean, and comfortable!

IMG_2609.JPG

Superior, small shops and saloons

IMG_2610.jpg

Delicious Dining!

Again, something for everyone, and don't miss the widespread wineries!

Location Brand Hotel
              Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

Yes.  I was there in June.  Nice pictures.

californian,

Thanks, but the photo's do not do the area justice!

A wonderful place to visit!

jack613 Silver

nice photos!  looks beautiful!  thanks for the ideas of things to do.

jack613,

The area is really very special!

If you have detailed questions, let us know, there are plenty of folks here who can help!

jack613 Silver

thanks!  i settled on the courtyard marriott.  any ideas for things with little kids(ages 3 and 16 months).  my wife and i will love the falls and to walk through the area.

The view is best from the Canadian side but the park that offers most is on the American side.  You can walk across the bridge to get there and the cost was coins however you must have passports.  You can walk around or take a bus to see the sites.  Your youngsters might be too young for Cave of the Winds where you walk up to the falls at the bottom with rain ware on and Maid of the Mist boat (I didn't see any age restrictions and the kids are free)  This takes you very near the falls and you do get wet but will have rain ware on too.  Niagara Gorge Discovery Center would be good for the kids, exhibits and hiking trails (kids free).  Movie.  If you do decide on this, they offer a package that saves money.

They light the falls at night  and depending on the day(s) you will be there they might have fireworks.  There is the sky tower that would probably be fine for the kids.

jack613 Silver

you guys are amazing and helpful!  the niagara gorge discovery center sounds great. i will check up on it  i was afraid the kids might be too young for the maid of the mist or cave of the winds (especially the younger one who is fearless and runs all over the place)      the sky tower also sounds nice and probably an amazing view!!   would love to see fireworks over the falls. we will be there on a wednesday night and perhaps tuesday night as well

I think you might hit the jackpot.  I think fireworks are at 10pm on Wed.

jack613,

Two spots away from the falls area, (Not too far), that your family would enjoy:

IMG_2635.JPG

Stop by the "Visitor Center" soon after getting in town.  A short distance from the Falls area, it is very helpful, and you can get coupons that will save you plenty on local attractions!

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2637.JPG

For something, "Completely different", take your family to "The Flying Saucer Rest."  It is unique, and inexpensive, and your family will never forget it!  A short drive from the Falls area!

Have a great time, The CY, will save you a lot of money and you will not miss a thing by staying there!

jack613 Silver

wow!  you've got those photos to pull out and show us.  thanks a ton! i will research all of this. 

jack613,

Here's another place, just North of the falls area, on the "River road" that your kids and you will enjoy!  It's free and an interesting place.  Lot's of souvenirs as well!

IMG_2604.JPG

Lot's of fun as well!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...