8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 10:24 AM by mikiegfla RSS

Are you more likely to get upgraded Platinum vs Gold Elite?

oxymoronic Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have recently reached Platinum status.  Woo hoo!

A couple of questions.

I regularly stay at a property for 5 or 6 different categories of room.  As a Gold, I get upgraded by one tier ot two every time I check in but have never ever been upgraded to either category of suite.   As a Platinum, should I now be hopeful of a better quality of upgrade or is it still likely to be restricted to 1 or 2 categories?   [I doubt if too many regular travellers are lucky enough to have a company who will pay for the rooms close to suite level and thus be 1 or 2 categories away from the suite]

Aside from the arrival gift and the 50% bonus points, is there anything else which I am likely to notice as a result of the transition from Gold to Platinum?   Do people really feel any other difference associated with being a platinum?   Aside from front check-in staff, will any other member of staff even be aware of status?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are you more likely to get upgraded Platinum vs Gold Elite?
    Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

"Congrats on reaching Platinum!

My typical experience is no difference.  I stay in the same hotel each week and last week I was what I would call 'downgraded'.  I'm Plat. (as well as Lifetime Plat).  I hope you have better luck than I have had!  It would be nice to seen more benefits of room upgrades that typically experienced.

In a few weeks I am traveling for pleasure and hope to get a great upgrade! 

Happy Travels!

Kim

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

oxymoronic  It is possible you will see more frequent upgrades but suites are very difficult to come by. As Plat, you should get better than standard rooms at every stay but they won't be suites for the most part. They will be larger rooms, rooms with views, higher floor rooms, and corner rooms, or a combo of them. The math just doesn't work for getting upgraded to suites. Lets say a good size full service Marriott has 400 rooms and 12 suites. Most FS Marriotts have weddings, conventions, and maybe even celebrities high net worth guests, or simply people willing to pay cash for them. Out of 12 suites 10-11 of them will always be full. If there are 50 plats staying on property at any one time (and I am sure that number is possible, you will never get suites for those 50 plats even if all 12 suites at the property were available (which never happens)

cjkatl Platinum

IME, suite UGs are the one area where being Plat Prem really makes a difference.

I first made Plat in 2006. (Maybe off by a year.) As a Plat, I rarely saw suite UGs. In Jan 2013, I reached LTP. My UG percent did not change. I rarely got UGd to a suite. In fact, it might have been 0%. In Jan 2014, I became Plat Prem. I now get suites about a third of the time, including at hotels where I previously did not get suites. I never ask for them, so that might impact my low percentage, but so far this year, I've probably gotten a half dozen or so suites. (including Addison FS, Orlando Airport FS, Ypsilanti FS, Bangkok Ren, Mobile Riverview Ren, LAX Ren, FLL North FS and a few FIs and CYs, although I would often get FI suites as a Plat.)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Like others have said, I wouldn't expect much just making it to Plat for really good upgrades.  I've had some while I was plat but honestly they were few and far between, usually because I checked in WAY early and asked for it.  Your one hope can be if you are visiting areas that are somewhat off the beaten path, perhaps you are the only platinum in the place.  I've had success then

The problem is you'll get trumped out by plat prems at properties or they will sell them.  The one bit of advice is to always ask.  Never hurts and you'll find you get more success in a better room.  Now keep in mind, an upgrade to the hotel can be something as silly as a view of the courtyard vs not or that it has a sofa instead of a chair.  Your "normal" room might actually be an upgrade, for example concierge or executive floor access/location so getting something more impressive can be a stretch.

Best of luck and congrats on reaching Platinum

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I have been Plat for probably the last 10 years. I have never been upgraded to a suite. Never. I am usually upgraded to a better view room when I stay at a resort for vacation and I do appreciate that. At least it allows me to book a basic room and 9 out of 10 times be upgraded to a view. As others have said, there really isn't much difference. The biggest difference is earning the 50% bonus points. We use to get a REAL gift ( i.e. bottle of wine and cheese tray in your room) but they changed that and all you get now is the option to get points ( 500 at Full service Marriott) or a $10 certificate which can be used for food at the hotel.

I think it was already said but it really will depend on the property and location. If you are staying in a rural hotel somewhere on non busy days, you may be upgraded to a suite. However, just when you really want to get the suite upgrade to impress the family on your vacation and show them that are some benefits to putting up with your travel, you most likely will not get upgraded to a suite and I would never count on it. Hopefully they will upgrade you at least one level up meaning a nice view (but same type room). The more popular the hotel the less likely for an upgrade. For example, we go to Aruba ever year and the Stellaris usually does upgrade me one level so if I book a basic graden room view the best I can hope for is a upgrade to a partial ocean view. On the other hand, we went to San Juan this year and I booked a basic no view room and was upgraded two levels to an awesome ocean front room. Last year I booked a basic one bedroom at The Cosmopolitan and they upgraded me to the same type room but with a view of the fountains (one level). I am hoping for that same upgrade this year since we are going there in August.

When I reserve rooms for vacation I always book a room one level down from the room I want assuming that I least will be upgraded on level.

Congrats on reaching Plat !

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Have stayed at both Ren in Aruba and the Cosmo on points. What I was told be both is they will upgrade you one level. In both cases since points only covered the worse room I paid a little more so that my one level upgrade got me a full oxen view in aruba and a suite in Cosmo

oxymoronic Platinum 3 Reviews

Thanks all.   I've had my expecations appropriately managed. 

I am checking into my regular spot at the Zurich Marriott next week so we'll see if there's any difference.  I'm anticipating not (other than the arrival gift and the 50% bonus which will be gratefully accepted).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...