15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2014 12:18 PM by KatieC RSS

I Just Don't Understand Rewards Points Awarded

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK, so I am sure this has all been mentioned before.  In fact I have said something about the exchange rate recently.  But I just don't get how many rewards points I am awarded here in the UK.

After a recent kerfuffle at a Marriott concerning bonus points, I looked at all my bookings for the past 18 months to see how many points I have been awarded.

These were all UK hotels and I paid in UK £.  So I should get the amount I spent, less taxes and non qualifying charges (taxis, car park etc), multiplied by the exchange rate, multiplied by 10, then add my elite status bonus.  Am I right?

But the difference between the bookings is ridiculous.  Even hotels where I have added no extras to the room at all, so I can't have made an error on what counts and what doesn't.  I have looked up the historic US$/UK£ middle exchange rate for the days.  Sometimes the rate used is roughly the same, sometimes up to 8% less.  Might not sound a lot, but if all the rates used were consistent in relation to the exchange rate, I could have earned quite a lot more rewards points.

So is there any way I can see exactly how the total of my points awarded for each stay was arrived at?  If there isn't, we are all at the mercy of Marriott not being consistent with exchange rates.

What do you think The specified item was not found. & KatieC?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: I Just Don't Understand Rewards Points Awarded
    KatieC Member

Hi Tommo781 - The technical support folks have advised that points are calculated based on the checkout date. They use Bloomberg's conversion rate. Hope this is helpful!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for that KatieC.  I have marked the answer as correct as I am sure everyone believes that to be true.  However, whilst it applies to most of my stays (I am allowing of course a little bit of leeway on the exchange rate) 2/3 of my stays just don't make sense still.  The points awarded bear no correlation to the exchange rate for the day.  No big deal, but I just find it all very odd.

erc Platinum

KatieC

I see you're currently roaming the halls of the Insider forum and I didn't want to start a specific thread, so here goes (and then I toss tommo's thread back to him);

Would you please ask the technical support folks, "when are advanced purchase rates charged to the client's credit card; upon booking or upon check in?  I would not be surprised to hear that it is a property by property decision (or no policy at all), but I thought it was worth asking, since the euro is approaching my 'pull the trigger' rate for my Brussels stay and if I lock in the savings, I could afford the in-room water .  Thank you.

KatieC Member

On it.

KatieC Member

Ok, here's what I was able to find out: Advanced purchase rates are typically charged to the credit card on the reservation about 24 hours after booking. However, there is not a Marriott-wide policy regarding when payment is taken for advanced purchase rates, so it might vary slightly based upon the hotel and their accounting department procedures.

The team took the extra step and checked with The Brussels Marriott Hotel, and they advised that they do take payment for advanced purchase rates 24 hours after booking. Hope this helps! 

erc Platinum

Perfect. It helps greatly in that it answers my specific question. Thanks for the legwork.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

While I was in Canada for nearly 24 months I, too, needed to calculate and make certain I was earning the points correctly. I noticed the charges on my Visa were converted to USD from CAD on the date of payment. These Visa US dollars were an almost perfect tool to reconcile the points earned.

Unfortunately for Tommo781 there is no direct conversion to USD on the charge receipts, so I can see why the Bloomberg rate is required to convert GBP to USD to generate point value. The only thing I can suggest toT-781 is to use the DAY BEFORE Bloomberg rate in relationship to the DATE POSTED for the charge to see if that is more accurate a conversion. I suggest the day before as most charge card companies establish the charge date's rates the day before (at least this seems to be my experience).

Hi pingreeman, and thankyou.  I do understand what you are saying, and have looked at the rates as stated by KatieC.  Of course I haven't done my calculations to the umpteenth decimal point.  I understand that the rate varies hour by hour, minute by minute.  But please let me explain what I mean.

On one stay the closing Bloomberg rate was 1.6174.  I calculate I got 1.606.  That's fine.

Another stay the closing Bloomberg rate was 1.5805.  I calculate I got 1.543.  That's fine.

But:-

On another stay the closing Bloomberg rate was 1.6167.  I calculate I got 1.8142.  Huge bonus to me, but why?

On another stay the closing Bloomberg rate was 1.6864.  I calculate I got 1.5805.  Huge loss to me, but why?

The rates did not vary that much in a day or so, and my calculations are obviously correct as I have agreed so many times.

I am loathe to ask KatieC to review any of my stays as she has asked in case it ends up with my points being messed about with, which might cause even more confusion.

I just wish Marriott would put the details on the "My Account" section of our individual Marriott Rewards.

KatieC Member

We'll share your feedback. Tommo781. And, you know we're always here to research things for you so don't hesitate to ask.

It isn't that I mind asking KatieC.  It is just that I don't want the hassle that may be caused if I ask for a review and it is found that the points awarded were wrong - whether it is to my advantage or Marriott's.  Would there be hassle?  If I could be sure there wouldn't be I might ask.

Tommo781 - As a CPA and dedicated bean counter (and I say that kindly), I too, would be trying to figure how/where/why these deltas exist (take my Canada verification ) so I am empathetic to (y)our cause.

According to your four examples, the exchanges can be either in favor or disfavor - but perhaps overall, do balance out over time. May I suggest you take your last 10 stays and put them in a spreadsheet using day-1, day, and day+1 rates and some average of all three rates and determine if the sample shows that overall, the total points deltas come close to zero or better, generally in your favor. If this is your finding, then perhaps that will ease your mind that regardless of the algorithms used by Marriott, overall the system is "fair" but perhaps not reconcilable.

pingreeman I too hate anomolies.  If my bank statement is 2p (2c in US) out from my records, I just have to find the discrepancy!  I know I am OCD about such things, but I worked in the financial industry for over 30 years, and I just can't switch off from getting the minutae right.

So you won't be surprised to hear that I have already done the spreadsheet!  In fact, I keep a permanent spreadsheet with my stays, points, redemptions etc.  Again, OCD, I have to make sure things are right

I agree, overall the points are about right, but some stays just don't make sense.  I had already decided to let sleeping dogs lie, as I don't want to get any of my favourite hotels in trouble for perhaps getting stuff wrong; especially as I am going back to one of those that I have got a heap of extra points for some unknown reason in the next week or so.

I still say that if Marriott put the details on the "My Account" section of our individual Marriott Rewards, we would all know what was going on.

Thanks for your welcome advice.

We must be twins! Tommo781 as I, too, have a spreadsheet of all hotel stays going back to 2008. My account points are reconciled to the point between spreadsheet and my MR balance as well as paid nights, bonus nights, etc.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...