9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2016 11:04 AM by klucas RSS

No response to a complaint from hotel

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed at the Renaissance London Heathrow location and aside from the poor condition of the property, I ran into a situation where I needed some good customer service and instead felt like I was a customer of no value.

Admittedly the issue was created when we made the mistake of not combing the room for all our belongs, and left my 1.5 year old daughter's stuffed animal behind. We called the moment we returned home in the US to try and recover and unfortunately what came after this is a comedic version of Liam Neeson's Taken. I spoke with the acting Manager in the evening, Craig, and he said he would check on the item and it would receive an email that night on whether or not they located the animal. Come the next morning, nothing was in my inbox. I sent a follow-up email, and when I got a response, they again said that they would check with housekeeping. I replied with a picture of the item and hopeful of their response. I may be think that this should be easier than it was, but two more days passed and I hadn't heard anything, so again I email them for a status. Finally after six days I finally get a response that the stuffed animal wasn't found.

Admittedly disappointed because we know we left it in the room, so it was obviously tossed. The disappointment that I had was amplified because at no point did I ever get the feeling that they attempted to find it, particularly since I had to constantly reach out to them for an update. Magdy who manages the front desk asked for my phone number to discuss. Not sure why the protocol is in England, but my profile shows where I live and a 0630AM call from the hotel on my cell is not likely the best time to call. We again shared an email, and I shared my disappointment with the handling. That's when I stopped hearing from the hotel. I sent another email to Magdy, and again no response. Surprised I wasn't hearing, I voiced my concern to customer care in the US and they said the hotel should be responding and they said that they will reach out again to get a response. Still nothing.

My complaint which I wrote to Magdy was this; "at no point did I feel like a valued customer. I've stayed at a number of properties in Marriott and this lost item could've had three potential outcomes; it was found and to my delight reunited with my daughter, lost but shown professional courtesy by timely follow-up, or little to no action taken with me driving the follow-up."

As a Platinum member, I'm not accustomed to not getting a response to a complaint and honestly it leaves me a bitter taste if they get away with this. This website along with TripAdvisor are quite brutal on this property for obvious visual reasons, but this is the worst Customer Service I have ever seen including other companies and industries.

Has anyone else ever been completely ignored when submitting a complaint? I've not had reasons to send complaints in the past and I just didn't think that a Marriott brand hotel is allowed to simply ignore my concern.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hounslow, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
  • Re: No response to a complaint from hotel
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Hi Solkua.  What a shame about the stuffed animal.  It may seem a trivial thing to some people, but I know what heartache it causes to such a young child.

By coincidence, I had something similar happen to me recently, but at a different UK property.  When we got home (and we only live 125 miles from the property) we realised we had left a spectacle case on the bedside table. Admittedly our fault.  As luck would have it, a friend of mine was interested in staying at the hotel in the future, and on the morning we left I took some photos of the room to show him.  The spectacle case was there for all to see in one of the photographs!

We had other issues with the hotel restaurant, and I emailed the hotel direct to complain about them, and also to say we had left the glasses case behind.  I got a very poor response about the complaint, and all the manager said was that he would ask housekeeping about the glasses case and get back to me.  Needless to say he didn't!

So I took the matter to Marriott Customer Care, who were brilliant.  They intervened in my complaint and also asked the hotel about the glasses case.  Lo and Behold!  It came in the post the day after Marriott intervened.  Attached to it was a Marriott "left property" slip with the date it was found and the room number.  It was dated the day we left, but it wasn't posted back for 10 days.

So I would suggest you get straight onto Marriott Customer Care for the UK and tell them your concerns.  Here is their email address:-

Customercareuk@marriott.com

Hope that helps.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Very good advice Tommo781.  Local folks should have been able to handle it., but I guess they have other priorities.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Agreed about the priorities of the glasses case, but they also didn't answer my complaint about the restaurant (quite serious), which should have been important.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

You're right about that Tommo781.  That should be a big priority for the local property.  One would think they would want to address an issue that is an additional source of revenue for them.

Thanks for sharing that contact information. I am pretty sure I won't see the stuffed animal again as I did send them a picture, but I would like to see sort of acknowledgement on their part for the disservice. Still stings that we lost that stuffed animal. She got it as a gift from her grandfather and it was unique from another trip to Brussels a year earlier. We'll see if the UK email address generates anything. Thanks again!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Sorry for the treatment you got.  I was impressed by the treatment I received this past week after leaving my computer at the Renaissance Concourse in Atlanta.  Didn't realize it till I was in Phoenix a day later.  Called and they connected me with lost-n-found who indicated they had it.  Stopped by last night on the way home and picked it up.

Kudos to the housekeeping person who performed with honor!

Tried the customer care email address in the UK. Wasn't much of an improvement. I forwarded them the email exchange that I had with the Renaissance. There were two emails sent to me. One to say that they are investigating my issue with the Courtyard Marriott at Gatwick. Huh? I replied correcting them that I wasn't at the Courtyard. Later in the day, I got an email which summarized my exchange that I forwarded and again the property was referred to as the Courtyard Marriott at Gatwick. I've gotten better service from contact centers outsourced to India. Sad.

Wish I would've had your experience randomname

klucas Platinum

My husband stays at the Fairfield Inn in Steamboat Springs Colorado for the last 2 years for work.  They have once again charged my personal card for his stay.  Over a thousand dollars.  This caused major havoc on my bank account.  The hotel manager would not call me back after many phone calls to the hotel he finally picked up the phone.  Said one of the charges would be refunded the others would fall off after a few days to a week.  I told him having a thousand dollars missing from my bank account for a week was not acceptable.  He finally agreed after a few days to refund me $466 for the fees he caused to my bank account, which was only partial of what I had and give us 5000 points.  5000 points was ridiculous since we make that in a week.  I have yet to see the refund.  This is not how any customer should be treated let alone a platinum member.  Still no refund and no response from manager.  So frustrated!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...