1 2 3 12 Previous Next 164 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2016 11:26 PM by greekbecky RSS

What do you collect when you travel?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Lots of us collect things to help us remember our travels. Some collect ticket stubs, some collect photos, and some of us just collect memories. I had one friend who collected baseball caps. I recall from the discussion What is your travel goal? that nuhusker likes to play military golf course and collect logo golf balls from each one.

As many on this forum know, I collect counties in the United States. More accurately, I collect postcards which I mail to myself from each county seat. Here's a picture of some I collected in August 2013 on a trip to Illinois & Wisconsin.

collage.jpg

When I travel overseas, I usually end up with a handful of coins, and since I've always been fascinated by coins from around the world, I suppose I collect those as well.

So... What do you collect?

p.s. Marriott Rewards points is not an acceptable answer on this forum.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob,

Why didn't you tell me you collect "World Coins"! I would have brought you some!  Just got some from Cuba, but sending them to Re: I'm currently working on a project in Cuba, so I get a lot of info; Here's something that crossed my path - a book by our Insiders pal, now available at Amazon: Anadyr,The End of the Cuban Revolution

Miss this guy, and his book on Cuba is keeping me busy!

Let me know what your favorites are!  Just got a lot of "Irish Coins" pre- Euro's, and people love the animals on Irish Coins!  BTW, they are of no real value, and are free!

Now, to answer you question, I like to get "Magnets" of various cities, and they go on my refrigerator!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Refrigerator magnets, classes and coffee mugs.  Latter are nice in that when you use them they remind you of the places you've been.  Maybe I should peruse the refrigerator also!

• 3. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    cjkatl Platinum

Other than pens, nothing, but I've got enough Marriott and SHS pens to likely stock every room in both chains.

But this reminds me of a story from when I was a kid, which I apologize ahead of time, I'm about to write out...

We had friends in our small town; we'll call them the "Smith" family. They were affluent. Their house had lots of fancy things, Their bathroom featured a beautiful crested shower curtain with matching crested towels. The ashtrays in their home (it was the late '60s) also had the same "S" crest, as did the glasses and ice bucket on the bar and the coffee mugs in the kitchen. As a young child, I was so impressed by the fanciness. When I was about six or seven, my family stayed in a Sheraton for the first time and I realized these people were not only rich, but they were also thieves!

• 4. Re: What do you collect when you travel?

Part of the fun of collecting foreign coins is going the country of origin and bringing them home.

• 5. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Great question. I collect shot glasses from everywhere I go. Now I just need a display case to show them in.

• 6. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

My wife collects Christmas ornaments. They have to be locally made...this makes it tough, but if you look hard enough, things that hang can be found. We had to add a 2nd tree in our house to accommodate the growing collection. I also grab soccer scarfs for my son.

• 7. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PP,

We do also collect Christmas ornaments as well!

They have to be "Dated and with the city name", we have over 400!

Love Christmas!

IMG_2843.JPG

Garmisch, Germany!

IMG_2857.JPG

Oberamergau, Germany

IMG_2616.JPG

Windsor-on the Lake, Niagara Falls, Canada!

That's enough, no need to overdo it!

• 8. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

While I don't collect anything... my souvenirs are typically jewelry, scarves, and food items (olive oils, wines, pates, spices indigenous to the area). 

In Salzburg, I did bring back Christmas ornaments that had the Kapelle Oberndorf hand-painted on them.  The staff painted Stille Nacht around the top of each at my request.  This is the chapel where the Christmas carol, Silent Night, was first performed.

• 9. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Like others my wife always brings home a Christmas Ornament from our travels.

Me, well besides credit card bills from the tirp!!!I

I collect memories that I often get reminded of here on Insiders, thanks folks.

• 10. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

We collect brochures from hotels, B&B's, restaurants, city maps, etc. to later help ourselves on return trips, but also friends who might travel to same areas. I keep these in separate bags in my office and sort through these for some of my MRI posts. I also generally take not only photos, but also video of the trip, of most all my travels. With some of the photos, I later arrange these in particular groups - Paris, Holland, Venice, England, Africa, our 50th Anniversary trip - for instance, and develop a story board, with appropriate background music, such as theme song from "Out of Africa", "non dimenticar", "Summertime in Venice", etc. and save these to a DVD for playback on TV. It takes a bit of time, but good way to save "memories".

• 11. Re: What do you collect when you travel?

I end up with a lot of brochures too. Often they are for places I visited, but sometimes I grab one or two from a place I missed and want to see next time. I'm trying to be more selective on which ones I bring home otherwise I end up with stack of paper that needs to be recycled when it reaches a certain age (several years or so). I've still got a bunch from Scotland that I haven't looked at since 2007.

• 12. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    KatieC Member

LOVE this thread! My hubby and I have just started collecting art from our travels. Nothing crazy...it could be a painting or a piece of pottery or something more functional. We brought a water pitcher made from volcanic ash home from Santorini and it is one of my favorite things.

• 13. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I will try to pick up a refrigerator magnet and a charm for my charm bracelet.  I will also research the area and see what is native to that area and pick something up.  I have also picked up some local art pieces to display at home in a room that will eventually be dedicated to items from my travels.

The research is part of my fun before going and then the hunt is on once I arrive!

Happy Travels!

Kim

• 14. Re: What do you collect when you travel?
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

When we have had a "big" holiday (as opposed to a few days jaunt in the UK), I make a sort of album/scrapbook of the trip.  For Antarctica it extended to 3 volumes!  I put my photos, restaurant menus, cruise daily bulletins, leaflets from attractions, silly little things I collect on the trip such as beer mats etc etc in them.  All in chronological order.  Then on dark winters nights I can relive the whole trip from start to finish.  Now health issues stop us travelling to far flung places any more, these books are our wonderful memories of places and people.

1 2 3 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...