7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2014 4:28 AM by john_thai RSS

how about the Renaissance hotel in Bangkok ?

tikoune Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am looking for remarks or information on the Renaissance hotel in Bangkok. Did anyone stay there ? Which one is the best : the JW Marriott or the Renaissance, they are both located in the same area. Usually Renaissance are very good. But the least one I stayed in (Renaissance Las Vegas) was really disappointing, service was inadequate et the noise unbelievable.

Thank you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Bangkok, Thailand Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
  • Re: how about the Renaissance hotel in Bangkok ?
    cjkatl Platinum

Before answering the question you asked, here's the answer to the one you didn't ask... The LV Ren may be the worst Ren in the entire chain. It was a dump when before it was a Ren (Crowne Plaza, IIRC) and it's better now, but it's still a far cry from the excellence you will find at most other Rens. Do not worry that other Rens will fail this miserably. When in LV, if you want to stay at a Marriott property on Paradise, opt for either the FS or the SHS. Both are much better properties. It's a very nice SHS and the rooftop pool has killer views.

On to Bangkok... Both the Ren and JW are great properties and similar in terms of service and amenities. The Ren has better access to the SkyTrain (no walking on broken sidewalks or under highways) and you can walk to the malls/shopping without having to get on the train at all. If it's raining, you can actually even do that without having to get wet, save for a few steps from the hotel to the building next door.

The Ren seems to be a little more generous with room UGs. The JW has a nicer CL. The CL at the Ren is very nice, but it's smaller and has a little fewer food offerings. You are less likely to get a table during busy times. I like the restaurant at the Ren a little better. Both have excellent staff and pretty much execute everything a hotel show do perfectly.

All things being equal, I'd choose the Ren over the JW, but if the JW is less expensive, I'd stay there without hesitation. My most recent stay at the Ren in BKK was just a few months ago. I've stayed at the JW three times.

FlyerTalk has lots of information about Marriott options in Bangkok: Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tikoune Platinum 5 Reviews

Thank you for the information on BKK hotels and for the note of the LV Renaissance. By the way, what do you mean by "FS" or "SHS" as Marriott properties on Paradise ?

cjkatl Platinum

FS - Full Service Marriott Hotel or Resort

SHS - Springhill Suites

FI - Fairfield Inn

RI- Residence Inn

TPS - Towneplace Suites

RC - Ritz

etc...

cathyw Gold

We have stayed at the Renaissance Bangkok 5 + times, and it is our fav.  Stayed one night at JW Marriott and did not like as much.  Yes they are near each other - but the R is in a better location. 

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great insights cjkatl and cathyw! Whenever I make it to Bangkok, I know who to ask for recommendations from tikoune, I checked out some past articles, which include additional experiences from fellow Insiders in both hotels.

Here they are:

Renaissance Bangkok

Re: Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong

I will be staying in Renaissance Bangkok Rachaprasong for a week time in march. And it's going to be my 1st time in BKK for business, what is nearby this hotel and how's the transportation nearby this hotel?

Re: Bangkok Marriott resort and Spa

Hope these help!

avas1229 Platinum 2 Reviews

I stayed in both in 2014.   JW Marriott is built long time ago. Even suite room is small.   Renaissance Bangkok is newer, i guess not more than 5 year. Suite room is larger.  Renaissance is more modernized decoration compared to JW.  However, Renaissance wall is so thin that I can hear neighbour privacy and noise.  So afterall, I prefer JW Marriott even it's smaller.   

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Location of the Renaissance related to BTS and shopping is definitely better. However getting there is a significantly different story if traffic is bad.When it's raining hard, Ploenchit can back up for miles. Literally. I can walk from the JW to the R in 20-25 minutes without a strain. But I have personally had it take nearly 2 hours in a car when it is raining. And to get to the R from the airport your taxi has to drive within 100 feet of the JW.

Traffic issues are less important while you're there as the BTS is close to the JW but even closer to the R. 5 minute walk from JW, 1 minute from R.

For a lot of reasons, many having to do with inertia, if I"m staying at a full service in BKK, I stay at JW.

If I'm staying more than a week, I stay at the Marriott Executive apartments which is more or less half way between those 2 on Soi Langsuan.

There is also a fairly new Courtyard 5 minute walk from the R. Lots of choices.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...