17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2014 8:58 AM by iahflyr RSS

Airfarewatchdog - Delta and SW

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Apropos of two previous discussions, here is an article that Delta actually won an award for on-time arrive, least lost luggage, and fewer cancelled flights. (Sigh -- all the more reason for them to take away benefits.)

But here's the kicker for another post:

"The worst offender for mishandling luggage is Southwest Airlines. But the saving grace is that the airline charges no fees for the first two bags unlike its competitors."  But at least they're handling stowaways A LOT.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Airfarewatchdog - Delta and SW

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great stuff Prof, but you didn't mention who was DAL (dead butt last)!   Yep, it was UA.....when all categories are combined Jeffy and company just can't get it right.

Alas, I can't comment -- I haven't flown United since the early 70s, and only flew USAir once -- to Philly, where connections from Maine are usually through Detroit or west. But I'll take your word for it.

I still want to know how Southwest can lose so much luggage yet gain unwanted stowaways?  They seem like mutually exclusive propositions, since the stowaway probably weighs the same amount as three large suitcases.

Remember "bags fly free" on Southwest so they probably don't care where they send them.

I guess the lady in question needs to have some friend (if she has one), put her in a bag or suitcase first if she really wants to go somewhere.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

profchiara,

Interesting discussion.  I have flown both airlines over the last few years and have read some other articles about how Southwest has changed over the last couple of years.  Part of Southwest's business model is to schedule stops along some of it's routes without completely emptying planes which is one reason it has an open seating policy.  One example of this is if you book a flight from Washington Dulles to Los Angles, CA you may find that your plane will have a scheduled stop in Las Vegas.  Some passengers will get off in LasVegas but for those who are flying onto Los Angeles will have to stay on the plane.  To ensure passengers flying to Los Angeles don't leave the plane Southwest takes away your boarding pass when your board the flight so that you have to stay on the plane then immediately try to start boarding the additional passengers who are flying from Las Vegas to Los Angeles.

Southwest has very tight schedules and tries to turn over their planes quickly.  I noticed that Delta usually schedules about 30 minutes or more to each flight in case of unexpected delays in an effort to keep things on schedule.  From what I've heard some of Southwest's recent performance problems stem from their growth into larger markets like Atlanta where they did not have prescense before.  They are finding they are not able to operate such tight schedules in these busier markets which is more than likely leading to more mistakes with baggage.

vaboywnder,

Those are excellent points about Southwest, but they could still assign seats should they find that in their business plan.  Back in the 90's and even early 2000's they were the industry darling and have shifted away from what got them to that status by entering larger markets or at least larger airports as you mention. 

Aside from having their 20 minute turns as they were called going away, their time spent on the ground by having to deal with greater amount of arrival/departure aircraft have eaten into their on time performance.  No longer can they haul but from the gate to the runway and blast off into the sky as they're finding more and more that they are number 10 or worse for departure.  Same thing happens on arrivals, they get put in the conga line for the airport and it's destroying their schedules. 

We used to say, "fly Southwest from Hobby to Phoenix and six stops later you'll leave Texas"!!!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

IAHFLYR   I was hoping you saw this article. I was going to make another anti UA comment but knew you probably didn't need to hear it!

bjcilley Platinum 5 Reviews

I flew Delta/AF to Bordeaux in April, mostly because i had little choice.  I had resigned myself to delayed/lost bags, given my last two experiences with Delta.  Surprised to see both bags on the carousel.  I took two groups to Europe in the past three years.  My entire group of 24 to Spain were without bags for three days!  Delta blamed Air France for the problem.  Air France gave us a collective Gallic shrug and said it was Delta's problem.  For the entire three days, we couldn't event get a claim number to start a search.  Found the bags on our own at Granada Airport and bribed the attendant 50 euros to release the bags.

The next year in Nice, Delta managed to deliver 20 of 25 bags, leaving the rest of the group without bags for 3 days.  If I have a choice, Delta is at the bottom of the list.  Unfortunately, we are given fewer choices every year.  The traveling public needs to be VERY vocal the next time large mergers are on the table.  Competition is a good thing!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes we had an incident on SW last month where we were flying from Manchester to Phx  with connection into Chicago. My wife noticed what looked like her bag buried on a cart outside a few minutes before take off. She notified the flight attendant and he has he was told all bags were on ( later they said that they don't scan the bags going up the ramp). Well as you can expect when we got in no bags for either of s. I guess that cart had about 12 other bags. So we were on time sans bags

Bags on flights are supposed to be scanned and if the passenger is not on board they bag comes, so it appears SW cut a corner that should not be cut.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I find that shocking!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

IAHFLYR

I saw a Southwest commercial yesterday that asked viewers if they liked being cramped into regional jets, and not to ever worry about that on SW because all they fly are 737s. First off, I really don't mind RJs all that much especially for short flights like EWR-PIT, EWR-DTW, etc...second, while I will give them props for recently upgrading their fleet but they still have 144 737-300/500 "classic" series being flown. Last thing I want is to board a 25 year old 737-300. I think these folks agree.

Large hole discovered after Southwest flight makes

Lastly, they don't have assigned seats and their boarding process is more chaotic than trying to get cold cuts from a NJ supermarket deli on Saturday morning. Who wants to deal with that nonsense? Not me.

emergency landing - CNN.com

I don't mind RJ's either as long as on an E145 I get the exit row one side if traveling alone or the two side with the wife.  The CRJ7/9 are both better and the E175/175/195 are very nice to ride.  Avoid the CRJ2 as it is very very cramped.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Absolutely I couldn't agree more. The ERJ 145/75/90 I actually like. The bins are good size and the seating is reasonably comfortable. Yes, the CRJ-200 is horrendous. I have flown a few of them that were very uncomfortable and those tiny bins are basically useless. One flight CLT-EWR on US a few years back had the absolute hardest seat bottom ever. No lie, it was like sitting on a concrete bench. ZERO padding whatsoever. I was so happy to get off that plane.

Far East Man Platinum 1 Reviews

You get what you pay for.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...