5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2014 11:51 AM by sticks112 RSS

Arrival gift?

GAM1234 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just made platinum.  Do I need to request my arrival gift?  I am at a CY.....what should the "arrival gift" be?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Arrival gift?
    erc Platinum

Congratulations on earning Platinum status. Here are the Terms and Conditions for your Guaranteed Arrival Gift;

Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift is available at all participating Marriott hotel brands. See below for Platinum Arrival Gift options by brand:

ARRIVAL GIFT CHART

BrandGift
    JW Marriott, Autograph
    Collection, Renaissance Hotels,
    Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Gaylord Hotels
    500 bonus points or Food & Beverage amenity (outside the U.S. &Canada) or $10 Food & Beverage credit (U.S. & Canada only)
    Courtyard (U.S. & Canada)400 bonus points and a Food & Beverage amenity
    SpringHill Suites, Residence
    Inn
    200 bonus points or Food & Beverage amenity
    AC Hotels, Courtyard & Moxy Hotels
    (outside U.S. & Canada)
    250 bonus points or Food & Beverage amenity
    Fairfield Inn & Suites,
    TownePlace Suites
    200 bonus points or Food & Beverage amenity
    Marriott Vacation Club500 bonus points
    EDITION500 bonus points or 250 air miles

RITZ                                                    1,000 bonus points or 500 air miles

THE GUARANTEE

Now theoretically you are not supposed to have to ask and if the property does not meet the guarantee you are to receive cash compensation according to the chart below. This is a bit of a coin toss as meet the guarantee usually involves you asking for your gift BEFORE check out and the property responding that they had posted or were going to post the points. The other scenario is that you tell the property after other points of the stay have posted (i.e. after departing) and the property informs you that you needed to inform them during your stay in order to receive the cash compensation .

I have had many properties forget to post my arrival gift, not messing with the cash compensation game, I just call Rewards and they post almost immediately. Others though have collected several cash compensations, so it's a property by property, player by player game.

Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift is available at all participating Marriott Hotel brands (which, of course is like Home Depot saying, 'free eggs if we have any') . If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies (see below):

Brand
    Guest Compensation*
    JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott
    Hotels & Resorts, Gaylord Hotels

$100 USD
    Courtyard (U.S. & Canada),
    SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn

$50 USD
    AC Hotels, Courtyard, Moxy Hotels (outside U.S. &
    Canada)

$50 USD
    Fairfield Inn & Suites, TownePlace
    Suites

$25 USD
    Marriott Vacation Club
    $100 USD
    EDITION
    n/a

Put the Ritz into the Edition category of no cash as well. They inform you that if you haven't received your points within two weeks call us, tough, we're The Ritz, call us and we'll post them.

All brands in Russia pay the guarantee penalty in points not cash .

Once again GAM1234 congratulations on achieving the Platinum status, if you're going to play the game, it's best at the highest level.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GAM1234 Platinum

Thanks for the info

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

As erc has mentioned, they're supposed to offer you the PAG on arrival.  If they don't & you want to collect on the guarantee you must do it before check-out.

The guarantee penalty for a CY is $50.  When you invoke it they may say well we'll give you the points now & you can choose a food/beverage amenity.  You don't have to accept that & can say no, I prefer the $50 since the PAG wasn't offered to me at check-in as it should have been.  Or you can decide it's not worth the $50 to go through that - that's up to you.  Or you can just remind them that they didn't offer it & tell them to post the points & get the food/drink amenity.  Some folk will let it slide.  Others will collect/stand firm if there's push back from the property. 

Marriott instituted the penalty for a reason, so don't ever feel guilty about invoking it.  And no it does not come out of the FDC's pocket.

Congrats on making Plat status.

Cheers.

erc Platinum

Ay, there's the rub, perchance to dream that all will work smoothly.

If you wait until the end (but before checking out) you run the risk of someone (who doesn't want to appear negligent) just out and out disagreeing (an euphemism for lying) with you and saying something along the lines of "No Mr. Plat, you must have missed it, because I added your points right away".

If you confront, ok, let's soften that; if you mention it as you turn with your key to go to your room, you run the risk of who knows what. I have read and heard of several cases that even the successful collectors had to go through an uncomfortable PITA in order to get it (and one guy told me he was 'figuratively' looking over his shoulder his entire stay).

But, I agree, no one should ever feel 'guilty' about asking for it. Marriott, similar to their LNF policy, put it in place to assure compliance. The lodger is doing nothing wrong trying to implement the policy, little different from seeking the upgrade policy.

As I said; property by property, player by player. Best of luck to all.

sticks112 Platinum 11 Reviews

Nah when you check in they give you you choice or points and/or food and beverage amenity.  They used to always send champagne and cheese and crackers but they are getting stingier with it, haha.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...