14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2014 5:01 PM by Book_Worm RSS

First time Platinum and have a question about arrival gift

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have an upcoming reservation that I booked using a certificate.  This will be my first stay as a Platinum.    Do I still receive the Platinum arrival gift even though it's not a paid-by-cash stay?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: First time Platinum and have a question about arrival gift
    dctraveller Platinum 17 Reviews

Yes, you should.  I usually get the bonus points as an arrival gift even in stays where I used points/certificates. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Should be no problem muppetwrangler.  I usually take the points and sometimes, especially when they know me, receive both gift and points.

sticks112 Platinum 11 Reviews

Yes you will!!  Congrats on the platinum status!

bobbydacron Platinum

They always do the "I see we have your platinum elite # on file...thank you for your loyalty. Would you like the points or an amenity from our marketplace". My response is always "I'd like both please". 50% of the time they oblige

Congrats on hitting the Platinum status and all that goes with it

ontheroad1 Platinum

You always will be offered your choice and many times without asking the will also tell me to take anything I need from the market and often some places that I stay regularly will have a nice gift in the room of snacks, water, pop etc... Love staying a Marriott.

bobbydacron Platinum

Ontheroad1...how pathetic are we lol. We spend our lives staying in other peoples beds and when they offer us 500 points and then say "Hey grab a candy bar" we think we won the lottery. Now the fruit platter, bottle of wine & Chocolate dipped strawberries...welll that is very cool indeed. If I can't stay at home then I will always stay at a Marriott

Book_Worm Platinum 8 Reviews

I am platinum elite. I have stayed in 8 Marriotts in the past few weeks (ranging from Marriott to Courtyard to FFI to SHS). During these recent check ins, not once has my status been acknowledged, nor has anyone asked about the platinum arrival gift (points or market item, points or voucher, etc.). Is Marriott doing away with this? I am not looking to get anyone in trouble and this is not about a status thing. I am curious if this is a general policy change.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I don't think this is a general policy change, Book_Worm.  IMO, it has to do with the incompetence of the Associates behind the check-in counter, especially in Marriotts lower in the "food chain" (FFIs, CYs, SHSs).  When I check-in, I always present not only my Marriott Rewards Credit Card but also my Platinum Premier Elite ID card (even though I know that they have that information on my reservation).  The Associate behind the counter will invariably say that they have that information and give me a choice of points or prize.  If they don't, I bring it up before I leave the counter.  Fortunately for me, I frequent Marriott properties that I have patronized many times before and someone usually recognizes me.  As I've said elsewhere on this board, an important part of Customer Service is a warm welcome and recognition of your status.  However, a friendly reminder at some Marriott properties is sometimes in order.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Having staff at the front desk that know the policy is the key. I stayed at a FFI and a SHS last weekend and both acknowledge my Platinum Elite status and asked if I would like points for my arrival gift. At the FFI I was offered an apology that they could only offer me points  (which is what I would have chosen anyway).

In general most places are good about mentioning elite status, but not all. I tend to notice when it doesn't happen since it is usually automatic. Now, about that upgrade ...

sticks112 Platinum 11 Reviews

You do realize that if you are not offered your platinum gift that you are entitled to 50 dollars compensation per incident? Varies a bit by brand but around that amount. Congratsfrom a fellow platinum member.

Book_Worm Platinum 8 Reviews

I am honestly not looking to get the monetary compensation. I just thought it was an odd occurrence last month, and after checking into a full scale Marriott today and not being given an option (points or voucher) again, I thought I would check to see if this was the new norm. Everyone at this hotel has been very friendly, and check in was a very smooth process.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...