4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2014 1:21 PM by erc RSS

Hotels Block PP 48 hour availability

toasty1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Sorry if this has already been discussed.  If it has I would appreciate someone directing me to it.

I have been PP for awhile (years I think, don't really track the status) and have gradually grown disenchanted with benefits.  Lately I have to ask the desk clerk multiple times about upgrade availability, the condition of the hotels seem to be going down (60% courtyard, 30% Marriott, 10% upper end), points garner 1/2 of what they did just a couple years ago, etc.  At the breaking point because I tried to book a hotel at the Cleveland airport next week and at least 4 hotels (Marriott, 2 courtyards, Townplace) were blocked to the 48 hour premier guarantee (yes...Cleveland).  When I asked the hotel, central reservations and the platinum line I was told sorry, there is another hotel xx miles away.  I have been a rewards member since the late 80's, the honeymoon was long, but I think its over.  Am I missing something in 48 notice?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hotels Block PP 48 hour availability
    erc Platinum

Here's the T & C for the Guarantee

48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to Platinum Member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked at least 48 hours prior to arrival available at all participating Marriott hotel brands except Marriott Vacation Club. 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events). Benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates. For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, 48 Hour Guaranteed Availability applies to studio rooms only.

I will defer to skiadcock who's roaming the hallowed halls of Insiders today, she runs across this more than I.

I will say that I have observed Plats being sidestepped by the "special events" clause (I added the bold above). See pluto77's answer over there to the right in the More Like This Column :Re: 48 Hour Guarantee for Platinum

What say you Ski, can lodgers overcome the special event clause, which like Plat Premier qualification, is ambiguously defined?

The specified item was not found. and KatieC  feel free to look into, but I'm concerned The Greater Team would take days to eventually give you the runaround with a mumble jumble answer of the Voodoo that they do, so well .  If you attempt, thank you in advance for your efforts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Properties have to apply for 'special event' approval from Marriott HQ.  Normally it's for large events like Super Bowl, New Years Eve, Uof M vs OSU football game weekend, a conference that takes up 100% of a hotel, that type of thing.  Properties cannot arbitraily deny the 48-hour override unless they've gotten prior approval by HQ.

If I were the OP I'd ask the Platinum line specifically for the reason that the override is not being allowed.  If it's just because everything's booked (ie, no special event), tough patooties.  Tell the Plat line to force it through.  If the OP calls the Plat line, don't volunteer anything about are they special event exempt; let the OP see what the Plat line says. 

What are the dates the OP is looking at?  I googled Cleveland events & didn't see anything major for next week (there's a golf tournament w/ Tiger Woods going on, but that ends Sunday).

Cheers.

erc Platinum

Thanks for the info, good stuff (maybe LeBron is tossing a coming home party).

KatieC Member

On it.  Thanks for looping us in, erc.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...