4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2014 11:55 AM by KatieC RSS

Future Train Travel in London

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A regular question asked by MRIs is about getting into London from Heathrow Airport, so I thought I would tell you about an exciting development that is taking place in London. It is called Crossrail.  It will open in 2018, and will go from Reading and Heathrow in the West right through to Shenfield in the East, via central London stations such as Paddington and Liverpool Street.  The new trains will take nearly twice as many passengers as the current underground trains.

When it is open, the projection is that Heathrow to Liverpool Street will only take 30 minutes, and Canary Wharf 39 minutes.

There has been a fascinating 3 part TV programme on here in the UK for an hour each week.  Last night’s final part concentrated on the new stations being built.  When excavating for one, they even came across a medieval plague pit!  The new Crossrail station at Canary Wharf is a few steps further along the dock from one of my favourite hotels, Marriott West India Quay. (Watch the prices increase there when Crossrail opens!)  It is going to be a beautiful station.  The structure is almost complete, but there is a lot of work still to be done; the tracks have to be laid underground etc etc.

This is what it is going to look like.

So if there are any railway geeks, or just interested MRIs reading this, take a look.  I think you will be impressed.   http://www.crossrail.co.uk/   And if you are really interested in numbers, this page gives all the facts http://www.crossrail.co.uk/benefits/crossrail-in-numbers

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Future Train Travel in London
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Tommo781,

Great information, Thank-you!

Had no idea, but this will sure make getting into London a lot easier, especially to The West Indian Quay! Looks like a beautiful ride as well!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Future Train Travel in London
    KatieC Member

Beautiful! Thanks for posting, Tommo781!! "Medieval plague pit" sounds very creepy, but intriguing!  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...