33 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2014 7:23 AM by jasper100 RSS

Ever Been to a Balloon Festival?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We took in the 32nd annual New Jersey Festival of Ballooning. What a gas! Over 100 of these beauties took flight at 7:30PM this evening.

104.JPG071.JPG102.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Bridgewater, New Jersey, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Bridgewater Marriott
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley
  • Re: Ever Been to a Balloon Festival?
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

that look like fun ive only been to the bacon festival this year

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Bacon???? Ooooh!  Where is the bacon festival held?

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

it was in san jose july 4 and 5. It was very nice with music and all the bacon deliciousness as well as the fireworks at night.

erc Platinum

I attended a good portion of the Albuquerque (unlike Bugs, I didn't make a wrong turn) one in the eighties. You're right , they are a lot of fun (and lovely to behold) and I'm sure like jm1991, that I ate a lot of bacon back then at the event! I even went up in one back then. I'm glad I did a lot of that stuff (bungee jump, hot air ballooning, rock quarry cliff diving, whitewater etc) when I was young because now, perhaps because I'm more cautious (or maybe wiser), I don't do anything 'fun' anymore. I've apparently watched too much Ridiculousness and Tru TV World's Dumbest and seen the outcome of old farts trying too hard to be young .

One day our paths will cross as we snag those excellent East Coast Marriott weekend rates .

erc,  When it comes to thrill seeking maneuvers....I'm with you! I can watch, but I can't do anymore. We observed these ballooners from the ground.

In fact, I even have a hard time today just seeing pictures of thrill seekers. My adventurous daughter just came back from hiking in Norway. She was there to see the Fjords. Check out the crazy person sitting on that ledge. Her father almost had a heart attack when he saw that picture... 

Jackie Lyons

erc Platinum

Oh those kids! Great photo, but your last sentence really hits home. I had the willies when my adult children leaned over the Hoover Dam and took photos with their cell phones. It must be the Low T,  I'm always hearing about on the commercials during the network news !.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We have a balloon festival in town every year, great to go watch and as previously mentioned incredible colors.  Balloons are almost as elegant as birds are in the air.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

PUHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Now, let's hear that PUHHHHHHH 100 more times, in rhythm!

erc Platinum

I've been gone so I might have missed it but if that is the sound of the balloon, it reminded my wife and I how much the hot air balloons that flew over our house in Houston (just down the road from IAHFLYR) used to scare the bajeebers out of our labrador

Here's a photo of me in the 80's when it was cool to dress like your balloon

20140727_180940.jpg

Now that's an outfit!.  That shirt must have been home made?

Are you saying it is no longer cool to dress in that fashion?

"What a gas."  You got that right, lol!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

IMG_3714.JPG

Note the balloons racing just North of Scottsdale, AZ.  Our plane is headed to The Grand Canyon.  This was a very pretty sight!

Location Brand Hotel
    Scottsdale, Arizona, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley
    kimk Silver 1 Reviews

Great Pics

Thanks, kimk

travlbug Gold

PA123961.JPG

Took this photo on a balloon ride at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.  Really thrilling & very calm up there.  Second photo is when we dipped way down to the Rio Grande River.  Fantastic.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Great pictures. My wife (I think)  and I will be taking our first Balloon (Champagne) ride in Tanzania in September over the Serengetti. I will post pictures in the future!

I like seeing those balloons, but I doubt I would go up in one..at least not very high! Good Luck!

While they are gorgeous, I'm with ya painedplatinum, I'll sit and watch.  Highest I want to get off the ground is about a two step ladder if I'm not in a plane.

I would go up in a balloon.  Well, I would go up in a balloon before I'd go up in say, Libyan Airlines or Arik Air.  Or Tower of Terror (never again) at Disneyland.

I think going up in a balloon over the Serengeti would be the absolute ultimate, especially if you could fly low enough (or have some good binoculars) to see the wildlife (and also have a chase vehicle - just in case.)  One of my cousins has a neat set of binoculars with a built in camera.

I certainly would enjoy touring over wildlife in a natural setting, but......I seem to have developed a slight fear of heights a couple of years ago.. We were in Ocean City, MD on a vacation home wishful hunt with a real estate agent. Mrs. Pained stepped out on the balcony of a 17th floor condo unit. She was requesting my company to check out the spectacular view...I took one step on that balcony and wowzer!!.... I was all messed up..lol  something did not feel good looking down from that balcony.

I admit that I find balconies to be greatly discomposing.  Especially narrow ones with open railings.  I suppose the trick is to look out, not down.

This reminds me of something that I probably shouldn't share.

Jasper, Which airline would you fly?

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry. Just noted your post. I flew Turkish Air Business Class - Houston - Istanbul - Tanzania.

stephen999 Platinum

You should try the Bristol Balloon Festival in the UK and stay at the Marriott on Collage Green. It starts 7th August.

http://www.bristolballoonfiesta.co.uk/default.aspx

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/brsry-bristol-marriott-royal-hotel/

They say its the largest mass balloon assent outside Albuquerque, wherever that is!

Stephen

Thanks Stephen! We're looking to explore the UK for real over the next five years. Lets hope this festival is still clicking when we visit!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...