6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2014 4:03 PM by profchiara RSS

Suggestion: Extra fee alert before confirming booking

dth61 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Before confirming a reservation, either over the phone or online, I'd like to be told ahead of time of ALL possible additional fees. In just the last week I was surprised to learn of a per accommodation resort fee and a mandatory per person/per day meal plan at two resorts I had booked and neither of these fees were brought to my attention during the booking process. BTW, I was redeeming points for both of these stays.

I will admit that one of the properties, Kessler Canyon, does make mention of the meal plan on the Marriott site, but you have really look for it. I thought I did my due diligence before booking online so learning this after the fact didn't sit well with me. $175 per person/per day food served in a communal dining setting and a mandatory 20% gratuatity.

See for yourself:  De Beque, Colorado, Resort | Kessler Canyon, Autograph Collection®

I cancelled the reservation because there is no way I am going to pay $175 for my wife's egg whites and salads. My wife is a vegetarian--basically only eating meat when she has to for her job as a society columnist for a local newspaper. Not to mention, when your job requires you to cover foodie events/chefs and to be social with strangers, communal dining would be just another night at work for her and completely negate my desire to enjoy a weekend alone with my wife.

On a side note, Marriott should make a point of bringing it to our attention that Kessler Canyon is for all intents & purposes an All Inclusive Resort. I found after the fact that Kessler Canyon's own website does make mention of this.

The second surprise was the resort fee at the Hill Country Resort. I called the Platinum Elite number and made this reservation. This topic should have come up at some point during the reservation process. Their fee isn't exuberant, $32 per accommodation/per night, but again, it covers things of no interest to us. We won't be using the work out room, sports facilities or the phone. This fee wouldn't have stopped me from booking, but again, I'd like to know ahead of time especially when I am booking with points. On their page I found info on parking, wi-fi and the following: There may be a fee for some guest services.

Can you find mention of the resort fee? San Antonio Resorts | JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa

Pop ups like this are common place when placing orders so I don't think what I am asking would be anything revolutionary and I hope Marriott will seriously consider making this change. Fees I'd like to see brought to my attention ahead of time:

Parking

Meal Plans

Activity Fees

Resort Fees

Airport Shuttle Fees

Suggestions for other fees that should be brought to our attention prior to hitting Confirm?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
De Beque, Colorado, USA
  • Re: Suggestion: Extra fee alert before confirming booking
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Excellent suggestions. Fees of any amount should be disclosed clearly. AND $175 per person per day should be screamed in our ears!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dth61 Platinum 1 Reviews

Agreed and I should have said that I would rather have them just add it to the cost of the room since there is no wiggle around this mandatory meal plan. 

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Absolutely!  Optional fees are one thing -- I may or may not have car to incur parking fees, but if the fee is mandatory then it should either be included in the base room rate or clearly alerted within the reservation process.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Some Marriotts as well as independents do offer both choices, but they're clearly stated. The Central Park Rome offers (or at least did) you a single-person (very much valued and rare) dinner plan, but it's separate from their regular room rates.  The Capodimonte where I'm staying in Sorrento in August also offers half board, but after reading tripadvisor reviews I decided to go for the better room view.

KatieC Member

Thanks for the feedback, dth61. We'll be sure to share this feedback with the right people, and we'll keep the community posted on any updates.

dth61 Platinum 1 Reviews

I am adding a footnote to my post after erc's reply. These rooms were booked using my Marriott Reward Points.

Thanks again erc. Happy travels! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...