20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2016 10:14 AM by ig88d RSS

Best Hotel in Chicago for Gold members

golfer1 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We looking at spending a long weekend in Chicago and will need 2 rooms as my kids are 16 and 20. We will be staying  downtown.  I am a gold member and would like to maximize those benefits.  I like staying at a hotel that has a conceirge lounge so we get breakfast but many of them don't seem to be open on weekends. Also, I''ve heard that some have free cocktails.

Any advise that you can offer would be appreciated.

m.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Best Hotel in Chicago for Gold members
    barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

JW, West Adams might be what you are seeking.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree with Barrpat that the JW would be idea. (concierge, downtown). However you may also consider the Residence Inn River North or the Residence Inn Mag Mile since they always have "real" breakfast and are kid friendly although no concierge lounge of course. They're also cheaper most of the time than the JW.  You would however have to take a short ride on public transit to get to the downtown tourist attractions though.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Golfer1

i cannot provide any Chicago recommendations but I wanted to remind/caution you that many properties are limiting CL access to the member and 1 guest with a charge for additions.  I do not know the policy at the Chicago JW but it could lessen the value of this perk to you when comparing properties.  Good luck and have nice trip.

erc Platinum

Here are some good threads discussing your interest in Chicago

Thoughts about hotels - What is your favorite Chicago Marriott property, and why?
    Thoughts about restaurants -Chicago, Fine Dining!

List of activities - Things to do in Chicago: Check out 367 Chicago Attractions - TripAdvisor 

look for deals at goldstar.com  travelzoo.com amazonlocal.com etc

golfer1   Let us know if you discover a Concierge Lounge offering free cocktails

If you can snag a good deal at the Chicago River North SpringHill (or Residence Inn, they're attached to each other, SH usually <$) take it - great breakfast, a bit off of Michigan Ave. but 16 & 20 year olds, no sweat, easy walk even to Navy Pier and good stuff nearby, including the river; Harry Caray's, House of Blues, Howl at the Moon, Ed Debevic's etc

Have a good trip

and a bonus read for my good pal The specified item was not found. (you owe me fella)  Chicago as a Travel "Free Agent"

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

I really like your "Sleeper" recommendation!

The RI/SHS has nice rooms, easy walk to Miracle Mile, and a full breakfast, with many nice places to dine nearby for any budget.

Your are close to The Chicago River, river cruises, and tour bus bargains!

Good luck, golfer1, make sure you shop these hotel rooms to the "Last degree"!  You may find like I have, that prices can change dramatically in The Chicago market!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

As usual erc gives the best response with a lucid, intelligent, well thought out reply. My two cents would be the Renaissance on Wacker is awesome. I like the rooms and the lobby and bar. Although it doesn't particulary fit your needs of breakfast, I wanted to bring it to your attention as another option. Also, you can walk to the amazing Donut Vault and have an inexpensive mouth watering breakfast there.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I'm with the folks recommending the Renaissance on the river.... If you haven't seen these threads yet:

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Chicago is my favorite big city in the U.S.! I've been visiting the city for over 30 years in business/pleasure travels, staying both in the city and outside. Where to stay is matter of preference:

1. Budget

2. Nearness to desired attractions

3. Whether you have a car or not

4. Time of stay

During trade shows (exhibitions) either at downtown hotels, Merchandise Mart, Rosemont (near O'Hare), or McCormick Place (south of the city), drive up hotel prices, so if your travel permits, avoid going to Chicago during these times. Having attended trade shows in January and February, I can attest to the need to bring WARM clothes to the "Windy City"! However, when I attend these shows, I usually stay outside the city - most often, Oak Park, just off the East/West Freeway and close to the 290 into south part of Chicago. There's a Marriott Hotel at Oak Park, and a nice shopping center nearby. Also, one of my favorite restaurants - Tuscany's - is adjacent to the Marriott. The original Tuscany's is on Taylor Street in Little Italy, just West of Chicago.Suggest you call for reservations, and enjoy the roasted  whole garlic and bread as pre-meal treat!

However, if you're bent on staying downtown, I prefer either the Residence Inn on  E. Walton (a few blocks off N. Michigan), near the Drake Hotel, or the Marriott, or Fairfield Inn, also on N. Michigan. The Conrad Hilton is on South Michigan, but not too convenient for shopping on N.Michigan stores. However, the Art Museum, National History Museum, Chicago Bears Football Stadium (Soldier Field), Shedd Aquarium,  and several theaters, etc. are walking distance from Hilton, the site of the original Hilton hotel chain.

If you have children with you, I'd definitely take a day to visit the Science & Industry Museum, south of Chicago, off Hwy.41 (South Lake Shore Drive). Make sure you take the kids on the "Mine Ride", and if they're young, they'll enjoy the Lego Room. I usually drive there, but it's accessible by taxi, but somewhat expensive, if you're staying on N. Michigan. Also, I'd suggesting visiting Navy Pier (near downtown,off Lake Shore Drive), Lincoln Park, (north of the city); and definitely taking the kids to the top of the Sears Tower (spectacular view at night!). At one time, Chicago had three of the tallest buildings in the country.

Regarding restaurants, in addition to Tuscany's (if you like Italian), one of my favorites is Spiaggia Cafe (not the restaurant), 980 N. Michigan, walking distance from the Residence Inn . For less expensive food court style eating, walk upstairs in the Water Town, and pick out your own food. The Nantucket Tavern, in basement of the famous Drake Hotel (N. Michigan), is quite good, and then, we like to have a nightcap in the upstairs lounge, listening to the piano player. It's a grand old hotel, with magnificent ballroom, much like the Conrad Hilton. You might recognize this as the place where the last scenes from the movie, "The Fugitive", was filmed.

Regarding having an auto, downtown parking is expensive at a hotel, and finding a parking place on the streets is a chore at anytime of the day/night. That's why I like the Residence Inn on Walton - you can park there and walk to most all the attractions, and then you have a car to drive to the museums and other attractions mentioned.  Also, it's entertaining to drive through the neighborhood, just north of Michigan Avenue, east of Lake Shore Drive, at night time.

If you're a church goer, attending the Moody Church, founded by D.L. Moody, W. Chicago Ave.and N. LaSalle, is a true worship experience where many different ethnic people come together. The choir and congregation singing are uplifting to even those considered "unbelievers".

One final note:  to me, Chicago is a relatively safe city, even for night, street walking; however, I'd stay away from Rush Street at night time, particularly with young children.

Hope this is helpful.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

JW on Adams is easily the best Marriott property in Chicago. 

ig88d Gold

Any one have experience with room upgrades at JW Chicago, for a gold member? I am planning our trip for June. TU

I have gotten upgrades there.  I'm platinum.  Here is what they gave me last time (the LaSalle Suite) - it was wonderful:2015-01-26 22.17.52.jpg2015-01-26 22.17.15.jpg2015-01-26 22.17.05.jpg2015-01-26 22.17.27.jpg2015-01-26 22.19.20.jpg2015-01-26 22.18.47.jpg

ig88d Gold

nice, too bad i'm still a lowly gold.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Forgive me (really).  I'm not trying to cause any controversy but please tell me why a hotel would be the best for "Gold". 

If the question is upgrades it is an impossible answer as that possibility depends on occupancy on a specific day.

I guess I bewildered by the inquiry.

peymanagement Platinum

Chicago is the one place that I don't stay Marriott. I have been staying at the Palmer House for years. It will be interesting, now that we have diamond status, if I get additional perks.

This is just a personal preference from my days before joining MR.

Platinum 28 Reviews

peymanagement

Stayed at the PHouse 30 years ago and it was VERY old then - I will assume it has been renovated and maintained to first class standards.

Will there be long line of MR members that are now Diamond?

peymanagement Platinum

Yes, and in those days a little tougher part of town. My trips go back to 1970.

It is now up to modern standards. It however retains its old charm. Again for me it is a personal preference.

I have not exercised my dual citizenship yet, Hilton applied their 18 month rule on my few points so I am a HH Diamond with a points balance of 0. I think they will know I am one of those Marriott infiltrators.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I wonder if we are in first place with our HH amounts - I received Diamond as well and now have a grand total of:

0 Points

0 Nights

peymanagement Platinum

I'm sure we are on the "No Stay List".

It would be interesting to see of all of us potential defectors to HH that got diamond status, how many actually have exercised their franchise?

peymanagement, I tried out my shiny new Diamond HHonors status right away at the Waldorf-Astoria "The Reach" resort on Key West.  It cost $300 a night LESS than the Marriott Key West, was in a much better location, and was a nicer resort.  I got a welcome gift of a bottle of champagne and key lime cookies, plus 2 free drinks in the bar.  It was an excellent experience.  misterchk, the Palmer House still has its lavish and ornate lobby, but the rooms are less impressive.  I like that property, but the only think first class about it is the lobby.  The rooms pale in comparison.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...