11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2014 12:53 PM by skiadcock RSS

Redeeming a One Night Category 1-4 Certificate

dennisorterry Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We are trying to use a 1-4 category one night reward.  The hotel has a two bedroom suite option.  Does the certificate cover this room? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Redeeming a One Night Category 1-4 Certificate
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

dennis,  most likely, no. The best way to find out is go to marriott.com and start the reservation. You can click on the button that says "use Reward Points". The rooms available for points (or certificate) are usually spelled out.  OR, give the customer service folks a call and they can check for you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

painedplatinum is right.  The certificate only usually covers a standard room, and in a UK Marriott is for room only.  Breakfast is extra.  But you can usually pay to upgrade, which is what I have done very successfully.

erc Platinum

First, welcome to Insiders dennisorterry we look forward to your insights especially on Marriott Vacation Club, they often have terrific off season deals so you giving us the lowdown will be helpful.

Second, painedplatinum is correct, the odds are low for getting anything higher than the regular room, although certainly worth the check to see. Sometimes Residence Inns allow for a 1 Bedroom Suite, but so far I haven't heard of anything better being given for a Cert - great news if so, please share your results.

Third - Tommo781  a) fascinating that certs don't provide for breakfast in UK - is that a specific property or all UK?

and b) The Real News - are you saying that you have used a Cat. 1-4 Certificate and been allowed to pay for an upgrade?

If so, that is a significant benefit and greatly enhances the value of the much maligned (not by me, foxglove or bejacob) Certificates (1-4 or the 1-5). Please expand, thanks.

Oh nuts, the coffee is just kicking in. Re-reading your post out of ecstatic hope, I now realize that you probably meant that you pay to upgrade for a breakfast - uggh. oh well like Emily Litella, nevermind. Close, but no cigar.

First of all, sincere apologies.  It must have been early in the morning here and I was confused.  No, I didn't get a paid upgrade with a certificate.  Sorry.  What I have done is booked with points, and then paid for an upgrade to a suite.  So just put me down as needing to enter the home for the bewildered!

Breakfast in the UK is probably different to the US.  In the US there are many different branches of Marriott family, but here the main offering is FS Marriotts.  In my experience, if you are using a certificate, or points, in a FS Marriott here you get room only.  You then either pay the going rate for breakfast in the restaurant, or eat elsewhere!

Perhaps other MRIs in the UK can confirm this - or correct me if I am wrong.  Maybe brightlybob

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Tommo781 and erc,

I have stayed in the UK, Australia, and Germany on points at FS Marriotts. On each occasion, I've been afforded concierge lounge access at no extra cost. So, since breakfast is available in the CL.......as a Platinum dude, the hotels have provided breakfast.

Yes, that's right.  But only if you are Gold or Platinum.  If you are not, you can't get in the CL so have to pay for breakfast on a certificate or points.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I've not used a cert in the UK at FS Marriotts, but I've redeemed points for award stays.  Have always gotten breakfast either in the exec lounge or in the restaurant.  If someone is Gold, Plat or PP, their elite bennies still apply.  If someone has no status or only Silver, then they'd probably get room only.

Cheers.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

"A certificate, like knowledge, is good." -- Emil Faber

johnlb1234 Platinum

Most likely it will not, however I would call the desk at the property and ask if you can be upgraded.  It will depend on how busy they are that night. 

bjcilley Platinum 5 Reviews

MAn, good luck.  I have almost given up on using a cat 4 certificate.  those hotels just don't exist.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...