75 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2014 1:41 PM by bpelican RSS

August Points (Promotion!)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone else seen this new promotion?

As part of a special group, we're excited to tell you that your next exclusive earning opportunity is here.

To earn up to 50,000 bonus points:

• Register by September 30, 2014
  • Stay at participating hotels between August 15 and November 15, 2014
  • Earn 5,000 bonus points with every second paid stay, staring with your second stay, up to 50,000 bonus points

That is the offer I got. Anyone else see it (or a different offer)?

I won't make the 50,000 points, but I currently have 9 paid stays (each for 1 night ) booked for this period. One more could mean 25,000 points (if I did the math right).

Message was edited by: bejacob

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: August Points (New Promotion!)
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I haven't seen anything yet. Also, it would overlap the normal time frames.  The current promo goes to Aug 31. The regular end of year promo typically runs from Sep 15-Jan 15, I believe.  Good Luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I noticed the overlap. I've got a few stays in August that will count toward both "August Points" and the "Getaway Bonus."

If the fall MegaBonus begins at usual in September, I'll have a few more that overlap with that one.

I'm curious to see if there are other variations of "August Points" out there. I just stumbled on this as I was checking rates for my upcoming stays.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I haven't seen this new promotion. Sounds like you'll make out with it well!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

here's what I got:

NEW PROMOTIONS

No new promotions.

sometimes, in life, we get what we deserve!

Here is a screenshot of the August Points promotion I received.

Points.PNG

I happened to check my promotions to see my progress on the Summer Getaway and noticed this new one. Marriott seems to love offering me promotions (and I love earning the bonus points). Each one this year (except the spring MegaBonus) has encouraged me to book an extra night/stay or two to earn the bonus points. I suppose my jump from Silver to Platinum this year might have something to do with it, but I doubt it.

Maybe as brightlybob says, I am the teacher's pet.

I'd love to hear from others who received this offer (or a different August Points offer). I may have to send erc and  IAHFLYR to investigate. When you find something out guys, meet jerrycoin and me in the bar. All this thinking is giving me a headache and I need a dose of medicine. Cheers!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

No new promos here either.  Maybe its an exclusive for former "Featured Insiders" 

KatieC Member

Good morning, all! We are looking into this for you and will let you know as soon as we get an update.

So far, no one (other than me) has seen this promotion.

In the "No new promotion" category are painedplatinum, muppetwrangler, dth61, brightlybob, ssindc, vaboywnder, and californian.

What about some of the regular contributors? Anyone?

How about bpelican, erc, jerrycoin, IAHFLYR, kharada46, foxglove, pluto77, 77paris, profchiara, Sledchick, Tommo781, missgee, fschumpert? (not meant to be a comprehensive list).

What about others on the support team The specified item was not found., merb?

Surely "August Points" can't be that exclusive.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

No new promotions.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Nope.  Me neither.  You really must have done something special to be singled out bejacob!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

"No new promotions for you! Do not pass go. Do not collect 5,000 bonus points."

Signed,

Bejacob's teacher

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I'm not as special as you are, bejacob, as I'm another one with "No new promotions" listed. 

I cancelled a Marriott room for this Thursday night (booked for the lowest rate of $189 several weeks ago) as I found another non-Marriott property close by that is only $99.  So my Getaway Bonus is going nowhere!

But I did get my yearly Elite Night cake and candles e-mail today.  Yay!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Only promotion that I've seen is one that ends August 31

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

bejacob

No new promotion for me.  I have only one and it ends on August 31st.  What is your secret?

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

No new promos for me.  You are obviously far more special than I am.  lol

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I have not gotten it and do not expect to get it.  You know erc, myself and a few others have been blacklisted.

erc Platinum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuFCaIAnETk

erc as dorfman
        IAHFLYR as larry

brightlybob   as jugdish

and STARRING  Posted in Teacher's Pet Awards

bejacob

as kevin bacon

LOL, most excellent references however; how could the local foodie be left out of the mix?

kharada46 as the food critic Bluto.

Bluto's a Zit - Animal House (5/10) Movie CLIP (1978) HD - YouTube

erc Platinum

That scene, disturbing as it is with my Red Beans and Rice cajun lunch, had a song in it - Let's Dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiE_3PfEGzc ; (a bonus of Fred Astaire classics)

a Rock N Roll Classic, which, unbelievably to me at least, was by the same artist (Chris Montez) that went on to record my Theme Song when it comes to dealing with Marriott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf4bXRMu3R4

And since we're on Promotions: coming soon I'll be asking about the most recent Rewards Summer Getaway Bonus to see how all of you who wanted the Certificates killed are making out with your Up to 25k bonus. So get out your abacus.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Don't quite get the reference, but you aren't supposed to give my secret away! 

Elevate yourself to "geezer" status for a few minutes.......food and food fight oh never mind.

"Elevate yourself to "geezer" status for a few minutes..."

Hey! I resemble that remark!!

Me too even though mentally I'm barely finding adolescent status!!! 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well, it certainly looks like youre in a special group alright bejacob. A special group of one!

I'm eagerly awaiting the Marriott teams response (with my nose pressed against the window) hoping I'll be invited in, as I have a host of stays right at the beginning of September, which is usually a dead period between megabonuses...

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

bejacob No promotion for me...oh well...

sfcitygirk Platinum

Called the Gold Elite Line and was told that this promo isn't avail.  However, they did give me the Platinum Challenge

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

bejacob

None for me yet.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob,

None for me!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

No soup for me either!!

nbgaucho Platinum

Nice, I did see it in my promo section.

You’re registered - new rewards await your next stay.

Earn with every stay

Book Now

Another exclusive offer: Earn up to 50,000 bonus points   

See Details

As part of a special group, we’re excited to tell you that your next exclusive earning opportunity is here.

To earn up to 50,000 bonus points:

• Register by September 30, 2014
    • Stay at participating hotels between August 15 and November 15, 2014
    • Earn 5,000 bonus points with every second paid stay*, starting with your second stay, up to 50,000 bonus points

* A ‘stay’ is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.

To use the popular expression, OMG! Finally someone else!

I'm going to apply a little erc style logic to this situation. (BTW, mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery).

It appears that I am the sole recipient of the August Points promotion. Here are the possible scenarios:

1) The promotion is (as vaboywnder suggested) only available to former Featured Insiders and since I am currently the only one, only I received the promotion - Highly Unlikely

2) The offer was made to an extremely limited number of people and no one else on MR Insiders was included - Unlikely

3) Somehow this offer was released by the IT and/or marketing folks by mistake (similar to $10 cross country airfares of the past which airlines honored) and I just happened to see it and register before it was taken down - Possible, but not likely

4) Something about my account triggered the offer of this promotion. Possibilities include

a) Began the year at Silver elite and have now reached Platinum - Doubtful

b) The increase in my travel this year has prompted Marriott to try get me to spend even more nights with them to earn even more bonus points (it's working so far) - Possible

c) It is only good for Insiders who have posted (on MRI) a desire to stay at a Marriott in every state and also visit every U.S. county (with sincerest apologies to our UK friends) - Not in a million years

5) This promotion ended up on my account a week early. Everyone else will see it closer to the beginning of August. (Haven't past promotions that begin around mid-month typically arrived near the end of the preceding month?) - Likely, but still a mystery as to why I saw it early

I'm tempted to call customer service to inquire about this, since it clearly shows up on my promotions page and thus they might be able to research it. Perhaps one of the CS reps could explain why I'm the only one who has seen this offer so far. Past experience suggests KatieC won't get answers from the Greater Team. (Sorry for stealing that from you too erc).

I look at this offer and how the time period overlaps with the Getaway Bonus and the usual dates for the fall MegaBonus and think how great this deal it. The offer did say it was "another exclusive offer," but not that exclusive. Everyone should have it!

Again, erc, I apologize for stealing your format, but your posts inspire me. We should plan a MRI get together when I'm in DC (last Saturday in Sept and again first weekend in Nov), but I digress.

August Points - Everyone should have it!

sfcitygirk Platinum

I sincerely hope this is not replacing the usual Fall Megabonus.  I'm going to send an email with the screen cap and see if they sign me up that way. 

erc Platinum

1) I'm glad you're one of the remaining 16 folks who still read the posts

2) I checked with The Greater Team, the key to receiving the August promotion; wear a tie in your photo. Sorry brightlybob, sportcoat, dashing as it is, doesn't feed the bulldog.

3) I'm out of town last Saturday in Sept. (VRBO at the beach, that'll teach Marriott to leave me out of their promotional offers !) so you're free to gather with nbgaucho and mock the rest of us schlubs.

4) As the date approaches and you know the specifics, let me know about your November DC visit, by then my envy will have subsided and I'll make an effort to journey into town and say hello (perhaps bringing ssindc as a calming influence).

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yeah, but as the featured insider I'm Speshul Too

i Wanna Spesh offer... I want! I want! I want!

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

No new promotion for me!

jussio Gold

I also received this promotion. It showed up about a week ago, I have been searching here to see if anyone had any info on it. I also started the year at Silver, completed the Taste of Gold promo and am looking forward to the extra points from the Getaway bonus.  I know for me, these promotions have influenced the number of stays I have made.

bejacob,

No promo for me, but by the looks of it, not one that's all that useful for me.  Earn bonus points from your third paid stay and on only?  I hope it isn't a replacement for the Mega Bonus as others have theorized...

So how did you get into the select group?  Have you not been forthcoming regarding your true job with the Feds?  Do you know something we don't know?? 

. Nothing about my exhilarating job as an accountant working for the DoD (DFAS for anyone who might recognize my specific agency) explains why Marriott wants to keep throwing bonus points my way (keep 'em coming, though ).

I'm going with erc's suggestion that wearing a tie in my picture somehow makes me special.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Perhaps it's his patriotism - flag in background?

bejacob, nice cover story   I'll bet you're actually a CIA agent... or you're involved with some black project at DARPA

Well at least a couple folks have now seen this offer even if it is not widespread.

While it's hard to know, it appears that Marriott is experimenting with what to offer in promotions. Neither this one nor the Summer Getaway give promo certificates. The base-level Getaway bonus gave out double points after every 2nd stay, which didn't seem to appeal to anyone. The August Points gives 5,000 points after every 2nd stay (not a generous as a cat 1-4 cert, but better than double points).

Because of the overlap period of these two promotions (Aug 15-31), it's possible that anyone who got the double points Getaway offer did not get the August Points offer (purely speculation on my part) since they would earn double points + 5k points for every 2nd stay (my Summer Getaway bonus required 15 nights to earn 25k points).

Other than Insider speculation, nothing suggests that the Fall MegaBonus has been replaced by August Points. Granted the August Points offer overlaps the normal fall bonus by a couple months, so the trepidation is understandable. It might be worth a little investigation by KatieC or The specified item was not found. as to whether the MegaBonus is still on the normal Sept 15 - Jan 15 schedule.

I'm still waiting for an official email from MR to inform me about this offer and perhaps some insight as to why I was one of the few selected. Perhaps a little more time will shed more light on the situation.

KatieC Member

We're checking on this, everyone! Stay tuned and thank you for your patience!

dth61 Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi all. So I heard back from John C with Marriott Guest Services and it appears this promotion is only for Silver level members as it is being called the Silver Focus.

Since my wife can spend my points as fast as I can earn them, she is of course disappointed to hear this, but I was able to soften the blow by letting her know that I would only be home for one weekend in August and I'll be earning lots of points while away. And the one weekend I am home? I've arranged for us to spend it at the JW Marriott Hill Country Resort.

Well, that doesn't make sense does it?  Bejacob is Platinum and Jussio is Gold and they got it.

I am silver, as is foxglove, and we haven't. 

Maybe it's just for silvers who've left the fold for more glittering pastures. Perhaps brightlybob's naughty step is large enough to accommodate you and me as well.

Okay, a while ago, I tried to reply to dth61's latest message, in which he confirmed (through additional contact with MR) that it was indeed a silver-only offer (and then he threw in the towel).   I got the pink "An error occurred while processing your post. Please try again." I did and got the same message. I signed out, signed back in, and now dth's post seems to have disappeared, along with bejacob's reply, in which he suggested that August Points and Silver Focus may be two separate offers.

I swear I read 'em!! [Cue the Twilight Zone theme.]

Anyway, here's my reply (I hope):

dth61 Thanks for attempting to shed a little clarity on the subject. As with other issues, replies from the Greater Team sometimes just further cloud the already turbid waters. But thanks for trying, and happy travels to you, too.

bejacob I think you may have been on to something when you said,

"a) Began the year at Silver elite and have now reached Platinum - Doubtful

b) The increase in my travel this year has prompted Marriott to try get me to spend even more nights with them to earn even more bonus points (it's working so far) - Possible"

Both you and jussio have done a little tier-jumping this year, and that may have set off the "We have a live one!" radar at MR. Someone like me, whose every night this year has been a rewards redemption, likely doesn't register a blip on the screen. But so be it -- sub-radar stealth stays are cool with me.

Ditch the Twilight Zone!  You did read them cos I read them too.  And I still have them in my email folder.

At the end of the day, you and I are both silver, but have not been considered elite enough for this offer. 

OK, do I really care.  No, of course I don't.

Thanks, Tommo. It was beginning to look like a Star Trek episode where items and crew members just start disappearing from the Enterprise. One minute they're there; the next...  

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I also have those posts in my e-mail folder.  When you click on "view full discussion," it states "Item does not exist.  It may have been deleted."

dth61 deleted them because he felt they contained confidential info given by MR customer service. No one imagined the post or my response.

Perhaps foxglove is right that my account activity triggered a super-double-secret promotion. Since it was offered to such a small segment, I'm reasonably confident in saying that the fall MegaBonus should appear as usual around early August (assuming the typical start date of Sept 15). Anyone heard anything?

glygrl Silver

One of my recent stays posted last night, so I'm now officially silver.  I figure I'll call in to see if I can get added, and if (when?) they tell me I'm ineligible, I'm hoping to guilt them into giving me a chance at Taste of Platinum / Road to Platinum.  Maybe I'll get especially lucky and get both?  ;-)

glygrl Silver

Just thought I'd update here (I'll try to remember to find the appropriate thread for the challenge and cross post) that I was unfortunately not able to have this promotion added to my account, despite making silver in less than 30 days with Marriott.  He didn't know what the criteria was for this one - actually, he said he hadn't been aware of this promo until I mentioned it. 

The gentleman on the phone was wonderful, though - that's two GREAT call center reps I've dealt with so far - and went through my recent and upcoming stays to see if it would be worth my switching over to another getaway promotion.  Unless I get to take a (currently cancelled) long trip in a couple weeks, I'm best off with the double points - but he made it sound like I could switch over if at any time before the stay deadline it becomes beneficial to me to do so.

He also did go ahead and sign me up for the Platinum challenge - I assume that is 'Road to Platinum' and not 'Taste of Platinum' - and I should be Platinum by the time the 'real' fall promotions begin. 

Don't feel bad about the August Points promotion. When I talked to customer service they had no idea what it was (and I'm one of the few that got selected). I was told that Marriott does a number of different targeted promotions (foxglove got one they mentioned - the "Welcome Back" promotion), but the CS folks don't get details on the selection criteria.

I didn't hear details, but the person I spoke with expected a fall Megabonus to show up at the usual time. Let's hope she was right.

Good luck on reaching Platinum soon.

sexxylypps Silver

I had a new promotion in my account.....Megabonus.....2,500 points after 2nd stay....stay 9/15/14 - 1/15/15 .....up to 25,000 points

dreamtrip Platinum 5 Reviews

I DIDN'T RECEIVE A SUMMER PROMOTION NOR DID I RECEIVE THIS FALL PROMOTION.  I USED TO RECEIVE THE MEGABONUS REWARD FREE  NITE CERTIFICATES PROMOTIONS AND I AM WONDERING WHY I HAVEN'T RECEIVED EITHER THE SUMMER OR FALL PROMOTIONS.  I AM PLATNUM.  I'M NOT SURE WHAT IS GOING ON.  I DON'T TRAVEL NEARLY AS MUCH AS I USED TO BUT SHOULDN'T ALL MARRIOTT ELITE MEMBERS GET SOME TYPE OF PROMOTION?

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Me too @dreamtrip. I haven't received ANY promotional offer. No Mega bonus offer ..nothing. Maybe Platinum members ( I am Platinum) are not being offerred any bonus this year? To bad, I usually do increase my nights in order to make the Mega Bonus offer. Any word Marriott? How come no bonus offers to Platinum members like myself?

rose77 Gold

I saw this promotion, however, today when I look it is not there???

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I have not received this promotion, either!  I've been platinum for about 5 years.

greenit Platinum 4 Reviews

Another MEH.  So let me get this straight I stay something like 20 nights and I get one free?

<shrug> at least this helps me towards my lifetime status.  The question is what do I do once I get it?  I travel for work all the time how does this make that work travel more enjoyable?

There are different versions:

Version 1: Earn double points with every paid stay, starting with your second stay, up to 25,000 bonus points.

Version 2: Earn 2,500 bonus points on every stay, starting with your second paid stay, up to 25,000 bonus points.

Version 3: Earn 25,000 bonus points after 12 paid nights, plus an additional 5,000 points after 18 paid nights, up to 30,000 bonus points.

Version 4: Earn 25,000 bonus points after 15 paid nights, plus an additional 15,000 points after 20 paid nights, up to 40,000 bonus points.

Version 5: Earn 35,000 bonus points after 20 paid nights, plus and additional 15,000 after 25 nights, up to 50,000 bonus points.

Version 6: Earn 35,000 bonus points after 20 paid nights, plus an additional 2,000 for every additional paid night, up to 55,000 bonus points.

oxymoronic Platinum 3 Reviews

Bejacob,

Sorry if I missed it but did you confirm whether this was instead of your MegaBonus just starting and finishing a month earlier or was there every any other rationale provided for why such a small group got an offer like this?  Do you consistently travel around Thansgiving and the holidays so that they exclued this period from your promotion?

No, this is a completely different bonus. I received this in addition to the upcoming MegaBonus. The strangest thing about the August Points offer is how much it overlaps with both the Summer bonus and the Fall MegaBonus.

My travel plans have no definite pattern. In general, my travels for the year run from mid-February to mid-November (purposely avoiding the holiday travel craziness). As far as why only a handful of us got this offer, I have no idea.

alreadyinuse Gold

I received the August points but no Mega Bonus yet.  Agree with you about the slide ruler.  Truly miss the certificates.