29 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2016 8:32 PM by morsec RSS

Spring Hill Suites

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Normally I stay at Full Service Marriott or Marriott Vacation Club Properties.  When these are not available, my next preference is Resident Inns or Fairfield Inns.  Since I plan to stay a couple of nights at the Spring Hill Suites, Pinehurst, NC, next month, what can I expect at them in general, as well as at this particular property?  I've read the hotel reviews sprecifically for this property, but would love to hear your opinions about Spring Hill Suites and where they fit into the Marriott family.

• Re: Spring Hill Suites
    erc Platinum

As many know, I'm a big fan of SpringHill Suites and almost always have excellent stays. Like most of us, when I venture to a new property, I check all the various sources (like you're doing);

SpringHill Suites Pinehurst (NC) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Looking at TripAdvisor it comes across pretty decent - HOWEVER, our own cjkatl had a bone to pick with them over his March stay and it wasn't just about their inability to provide a feather free room, so hopefully he'll chime in and provide you with the details.

I did notice that the Pinehurst  'Larger studio' King ranged from only 250 sq. ft to 350. This is one of the smaller SpringHill rooms around if you end up in a 250 sq. ft. room. It said it was built in '99 and renovated in '12 so this small size surprises me (a couple reviews mentioned no dressers - wow).

Good luck, keep us posted. Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

PS - to my post above

When/if cj posts and gives you the details, if you decide to stay there - if it were me, I'd contact the property's GM or at the very least John R. (Guest Relations Manager who responds to Trip Advisor reviews) and tell them your concern, highlighting a fellow Insider's (as in sophisticated/experienced, non-whining traveler cj didn't rule out a return) issues.

Given that the property was a big hit with other lodgers, a contact would probably enhance your chances of ending up in the Plus column.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Appreciate your input and advice erc.  Will post how it turns out.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I, too, am a huge fan of SpringHill Suites. Only once have I been disappointed (Richmond - Virginia Center).

In general, rooms tend to be good sized with a sitting area/office set aside from the bed. The rooms typically have a mircowave and fridge as well as a small sink nearby (not the full kitchen of Residence Inns).

Definitely a step up from FFI. In many ways, SHS is what CY used to be (designed for business but nice for the leisure traveler as well). Another plus (over CY), free breakfast (perhaps slightly nicer than what you will find at FFI).

In my opinion, SHS is at the top of the lower tier of Marriott properties. They aren't Full Service hotels, but I like them best of the rest.

Thanks bejacob.  Appreciate your input.  Glad to hear SHS is a step up from FFIs.

deedee69 Platinum 1 Reviews

I am currently staying here at the Springhill suites,  Pinehurst.  I have been here annually for 3 yesrs. This is the worst year.  The place is run down, the management has let breakfast for two days nog be stocked with basic items like milk or eggs. They ran out 2 days in a row citing food truck did 6 come at 6am. So between 6 am and end of breakfast at 9am, they went to the store and bought a 2 liter milk container.   This week is the USkids tournament,  they acknowledge this and got a 2 liter milk container for all their guests two morning's in a row.  Think 8 cups of milk is not enough.... no management or staff here is doing the math.  So It Is No Surprise. ... The staff at the front are clueless in helping other than with excuses when issues arise.   Avoid this place if you can.  They also removed dressers from their rooms.  This place is horrible. 

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
      cjkatl Platinum

Oh, deedee, if only you had read my TripAdvisor review of this property prior to staying... You are not alone. I, too, had a stay from heck at that hotel a few months back. My promised feather free room wasn't delivered, despite assurances to the contrary. The toilet in the room had leftovers still swimming from the last person who used it. How that could happen when a housekeeper was supposed to have cleaned the room is beyond me. They unclogged the toilet, but didn't clean it. Switching rooms didn't make sense, as the same level of housekeeping is provided to every room. I actually travel with Comet, which I used, with a wash cloth, to clean the toilet myself. I could go on, but you get the idea. The hotel is not up the standards the many other SHS I stay in manage to uphold.

Perhaps the worst part was the attitude of the woman working the front desk in the morning. She told me I should be more understanding about the things that happened. I told her, in no uncertain terms, that while finding stranger's excrement floating in a toilet might be something she thinks is acceptable and might be used to, I prefer my toilets to be clean, especially after a housekeeper supposedly cleaned it. Her attitude explained why the hotel is such a poorly operated dump.

Filthy, Poorly Run Hotel - Review of SpringHill Suites Pinehurst, Pinehurst, NC - TripAdvisor

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.

Thanks for the feedback deedee69.  The only reason I was staying at the SHS for a couple of days is that I couldn't get a good price at the RI, where I normally stay and the only other Marriott property in Pinehurst, but may have to reconsider now.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

bpelican

Not sure why deedee69 had 47 of the same post populate but that sounds pretty bad. Personally I am not a big fan of SHS. I will go with a Residence Inn over SHS every time. I just like the layout and overall size of the rooms better. For business maybe SHS is better than CY but for me, SHS annoys me with the fact I can't watch TV from the bed without either turning the tv 45 degrees and even then it doesn't line up. The beds in my experience aren't as comfortable and the rates are about the same and in some cases higher than a nearby RI. I think the breakfast in the RIs are a step up from SHS. I will stay at a SHS over a FFI if available. Not to say FFI are bad, for the most part they are decent. My last FFI stay was in American Canyon, CA near Napa. The room was okay but super hot when we walked in (probably left the A/C off intentionally) and the breakfast items themselves were not that great. Edible but not good. I have never had that happen at a RI.

Thanks for your post, ks77,  I prefer RIs for sure, but in season at Pinehurst their price was ridiculous so I thought I'd try the SHS.  I guess I'll see for myself.  Thanks for your feedback.

I just returned from a SHS in Lynchburg, VA. Perhaps not as great as some of the newest SHS, but still quite nice. I'm an early riser and I was pleased that breakfast was available just after 5:00am (though it was scheduled from 6-10). I was surprised by the number of guests already eating at 5:30. The management at this property clearly knows its customers. That is what really makes the difference at any location.

I hope for your sake, bpelican, that things turn our much better for you than some of the previous guests.

Thanks, bejacob, appreciate your post and good wishes.  Just couldn't get a good price at the RI in Pinehurst so thought I'd try the SHS.

cjkatl Platinum

While I admire your bravery, and will pray for your well being while at the hotel, you might want to consider the Homewood Suites. (Sorry if posting about another chain's hotel is a no-no. If so, mods, feel free to delete this post. I did give the SHS a chance and they did drop the ball repeatedly.) My meeting was there, but being a Marriott Rewards points hound, I chose to stay at the SHS a few miles away. What a mistake! My coworkers and others at the meeting raved about the Homewood Suites. Everything for the meeting was great, including the lunch, and the staff was professional and attentive. This was in sharp contrast to the unprofessional, way too laid back staff at the SHS.

For the record, SHS is my go-to brand, especially for the majority of my stays, where I get in late and leave early in the morning. For longer stays, I usually look for FS hotels that have CLs. Old or new, SHS works for me. My only complaints are usually around not getting a feather free room. This was one of the few SHS where there were other issues.

Appreciate your consoling post, cjkatl.  I'm also a Marriott points hoarder and need some paid stays by month end to cash in on the latest promotion.  I do appreciate your input and will report back on this thread after my two night stay.  Thanks again.

cjkatl Platinum

The new manager had only been there a week or so when I stayed at the hotel, so maybe she has turned things around. The staff was so stubbornly incompetent - friendly, but incompetent - that it doesn't surprise me that deedee also had a bad experience, but maybe the new manager has been able to right the ship.

FWIW, when a hotel drops the ball on my feather free room request and does a poor job correcting it quickly, other issues at the hotel are magnified through my eyes. Still, there are hotels that mess up the request but don't have anything else wrong, and then there are those that it's like pealing back layers on an onion. This SHS was one big onion, IME.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I concede I've become a Spring Hill Suites fan (and I increasingly choose them over Courtyard, but rarely over Residence Inn).  They are consistently good value for money.  They tend to be very (very) thinly staffed, but - in our experience - the staff are well trained and customer-service oriented....

Having said that, a little research is in order before booking - there is a fair amount of inconsistency in the inventory.

• Our favorites are the newer SHS facilities, which feature the highly ergonomic euro-style mini-suites - even though they often only offer showers (no bath tubs), they are extremely efficient, comfortable space, particularly with a third person (child/friend) in the room.
    • The older style facilities, many of which are being renovated, are also fine - and the rooms tend to be a little bigger.
    • There are still some older facilities that haven't been renovated which are serviceable, but are fairly perceived as the third or fourth best option in an urban location...

ssindc, all three of your bullet points are right on target. Those comments sum up my experiences with SHS so well, I wish I had written them.

curious_traveler Silver

My hubby and I periodically stay at the SHS in Sterling, VA by Dulles Airport often. The staff is great, the prices reasonable and the coffee is fine for morning time. Since we are mostly there on weekends,the breakfast area can get a bit hectic with families and groups. When we have stayed there during the week it is mostly business travelers. However, the SHS consistently does a nice job putting us away from the groups/families as we do not travel with kids and usually need to get work done. This one was built as a SHS, and is not a renovated property from a different property type, which is consistent with ssindc's comment. We definitely recommend this brand!

morsec Platinum

We also often stay at the Sterling SHS when we have an early flight out of Dulles.  So we usually arrive late afternoon and leave early the next morning.   I have been very impressed with the staff, both the FD and the airport shuttle drivers.  On one trip we had a rental car we needed to return prior to our flight, so after checking in, I returned the car and the shuttle driver picked me up inside the Hertz lot and took me back to the hotel.  We have also used their Park & Fly rates and are very liberal about allowing you to park a few extra days.  The rate says 7 days parking is included, but they "round to the nearest 7 days".  So you can go about 10 without paying extra.  We stayed there about 4 weeks ago and will be back there again soon.

Jsucool76 Gold

SHS is easily one of my favorite brands in the Marriott portfolio. Spacious rooms, usually a decent breakfast. Hard to beat, as they're usually priced very reasonably.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...