8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2014 3:09 PM by skiadcock RSS

UPGRADE TO SUPERIOR ROOM DENIED WHILE THOSE ROOMS ARE OFFERED FOR BOOKING

David_Ariel Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just a question regarding UPGRADES.

I'm checking in a property but I'm said that there are not upgrades available.

However, superior rooms (and Junior Suites) are offered for the days of my stay.

In fact for the first day there is no Guest (standard) room available for booking.

Is that posible?

I mean, it's posible for them to refuse to upgrade my room when rooms are available (not already booked)?

The property is COURTYARD Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Santo Domingo
  • Re: UPGRADE TO SUPERIOR ROOM DENIED WHILE THOSE ROOMS ARE OFFERED FOR BOOKING
    KatieC Member

Please send me a private message David_Ariel, with information regarding your stay and the best way to reach you? We'll look into this for you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

David_Ariel Platinum

KatieC

We have been discussing this through private messages, but I think that it's time to post in public forums.

Truth is either Marriott booking system is wrong ot the property is consistently avoiding to provide upgrades.

I've had 6 or 7 different bookings in this property in the last two months, and I never get an upgrade.

However, everytime I check in, I see upgraded rooms being offered for sale.

I'd like to be able to talk with someone that could really clarify this, before posting my experiences.

You could check right now (Aug 23) that superior and suite rooms are being offered but they tell me that they don't have rooms for upgrading.

My last check in was yesterday.

Hamlet would say "Something is rotten in Courtyard Santo Domingo or Marriott booking system.."

What do you think?

Which one is wrong?

Location Brand Hotel
      Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Santo Domingo
        jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

they may just have a few Jr suites and suites saved up for upgrades depending on what you booked. I think they would lose money if every Rewards member that asked was upgraded at a lower priced room instead of selling the rooms at a higher price. So they may have suites available but the ones set for being upgrades are gone, the amount of rooms is probably decided by revenue management and the people chosen to be upgraded are probably frequent platinum guests. The company's main goal is to make as much revenue each night as possible, so if they can sell the higher priced rooms instead of giving them up as comp upgrades, thats what they are going to do. Thats my logic (having worked at a different hotel chain)

David_Ariel Platinum

I'm Platinum, and I stay around 50 nights only in this city every year.

Since June, when I started to use this property because Reanaissence went into remodeling I stayed here 15 nights.

I'm trying to understand why this is the only hotel were is so hard to be upgraded.

In the meantime looks like I should start looking for options, like SPG where I've been contacted and offered a status match.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Upgrades have been a constant point of discussion on the forums.  While the policy says that Plats & Golds shall be upgraded at check-in based upon availability, it isn't always the case and varies wildly by property.  In my recent trip to Maui, I wasn't upgraded at the Wailea Marriott or the CY Kahului, but was granted early check-in and late check-out.  The the JW Marriott Ihilani on Oahu, I received upgrades from Mountain View to Ocean View for my block of 3 rooms during my wedding and my room was upgraded to a suite.  At the Waikiki Beach Marriott, I was upgraded every time I stayed ranging from an amazing view to a Jr Suite, even when I wasn't an elite (but am a Kama'aina). 

In Europe I received upgrades in advanced because I mentioned to the properties that it was my honeymoon.  Those that I didn't mention this to didn't upgrade.  I did receive an upgrade at the Ren LAX (Jr Suite) without asking/mention of occasion or status.  Same happened at the FFI Disneyland.

So actual implementation of the upgrade policy is super inconsistent.  Just need to hope for the best really. 

Good luck to you!  Happy & Safe Travels

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Can't address the CY SD & don't know if your budget allows, but a JW opened up in Santo Domingo 2 days ago.  Maybe try there instead of the CY?

Re; upgrades in general.  It can vary based on a # of things: length of stay (single nights normally get upgrades more often than longer stays), what time you checked in, how many elites checked in before you, etc.

Cheers.

David_Ariel Platinum

Hi!

Their official opening was last Wednesday, and I was there!

First night in a standard room, and second one in a junior suite.

Being a service oriented property, you'll be pampered on every detail.

Impressive Infinity Pool, and Vertygo 101 Bar.

There, as usual I got my upgrade when there was availability.

Due to the opening all superior rooms where given to VIP people attending the party so no availability for the first night

But I was offered the upgraded room form the second night without any problem.

(Yes, it cost more than twice than CY)

But, for sure, everybody who could afford it should go to JW

I stay in this city many nights, but allways under different bookings, and they know I don't have any problem moving to a different room if I'm getting an upgrade. Usually 1, 2 or 3 days bookings.

I do check in early, so chances of having other elites checking in ahead of me are slim.

Once, I was there, lodged already, about to start a new 2 nights stay, and I was said in the morning that no room was available fro upgrade at that time, but we could try later.

Later that day, I returned to see that who was AT THAT TIME in front of me in the line was upgraded when I was denied to have an upgrade.

In fact, I was said over the phone by someone from their senior staff that they prefer to upgrade elites that have never been upgraded there.

My point is that I check availability in the superior rooms and suites a few minutes before checking in and always find rooms open for sale, but I keep being said that there's no availability at that time.

Thank you for your feedback!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...