14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2014 1:25 PM by pluto77 RSS

JFK - something good to say !?%#$

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I find it hard to believe I am writing this, but I forgot to mention my return trip from Santorini (then ATH-JFK-BOS).  I never say anything good about JFK, so this is worth noting.  The immigration control has been changed to primarily (if not solely -- our flight attendants gave conflicting accounts before arrival) electronic.  If you arrive with dozens of other international flights this will only help minimally, but my flight landed early, and it turned out the flight attendant who said US citizens could ONLY use the electronic version were correct.  You go in, scan your passport (like at airport kiosks when checking in) and fill out certain stuff, get a receipt, then go straight to either baggage pickup (I never have any) and straight to passport control. That line was very long because there initially was only one agent on duty, but a second soon arrived and it went more swiftly than anything else that happens at JFK.

So, finally, I have something good to say about JFK.  Does anyone know if this is being done at other US airports that serve international destinations?

• Re: JFK - something good to say !?%#$
    tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

They have it at Miami too. Worked very well vs. the normal process.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi tker,

The flight attendants (at least on Delta) need to get their stories straight.  It was announced, retracted, and announced again -- then corrected to say American citizens HAD to use the electronic system rather than customs declaration.  Still, it was much easier than normal at JFK.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

IIRC, we had the option. The lines got long and we were diverted to the terminals. I liked that system. Much quicker. I look forward to using it as much as possible.

hi tker,

Actually, by the end of the flight Delta was telling us it was not an option, but that American citizens had to do it electronically.  But it worked much better, so I am not complaining. I hope the same will be true in Boston when I return from Italy at the beginning of September.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

profchiara, As another poster mentioned, I flew on AA into MIA and the first step at least was a breeze. We walked to the kiosks where it scanned our passports. took our picture and printed us that receipt. We walked over to a CBP agent who stamped it. That was step one and it was great....then we walked down another corridor to baggage claim (we hadn't checked any bags so we went to leave and BOOM a long 15 foot wide "line" more like a 15 foot wide mob in a sort of line, where we had to wait for another CBP agent to verify again. That second step was the annoying part as we stood in that line for like 25 minutes. All in all not terrible, it was more of a staffing issue and timing of arrivals that anything. It looked like it was passengers from maybe only 2-3 flights at the time as it was a Sunday evening. The airport was not busy at all except for that big line. I can only imagine what it looks like when they have a dozen flights with passengers at the same time.

Exactly my experience, ks.  An improvement, definitely, but then you get to the passport line you mentioned.  I was stunned they had so few people available, but I guess nothing at JFK should really surprise me

KatieC Member

Interesting convo. Does anyone (or everyone and I am just catching up ) have Global Entry? I recently traveled with someone who had it and she zipped right through. About Global Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

I don't have it because of the difficulties of getting to Boston solely for that purpose (it would be 4 hours each way besides the time for an appt).  Someone I sat next to on a plane recently told me that although he lived in Boston, he could never get an appointment at all and eventually did so in Chicago!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

The Global Entry is the best thing since sliced bread. there's a very exhaustive thread on here. Take the plunge and grab it, KatieC

Re: Airport security - Pre check

I don't have GE, but I do have Precheck. I freakin' love it. Saves me hours every week and makes things so much easier clearing security. That's also well worth it.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Global Entry gives you PreCheck....$100 for 5 yrs. I'm sure, if you wanted, you could add Global Entry. I've returned to the U.S. 6 times in the last 12 months and haven't stopped my feet as I crisply walked through Customs!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I agree with painedplatinum.  Global Entry is a traveler's must!  Worth every penny!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I first used it in MIA.  It was great however, I had to wait for luggage, then the rest was just exiting.  Yes.  It is worth it.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I wholeheartedly concur.  Huge ROI.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...