17 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2014 6:40 PM by Sledchick RSS

Doing my "Willie Nelson" thing again...

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, starting last week, I began my "on the road again" status with a new project in New Hampshire.  I'm working with a hospital in Lebanon, NH and staying at the Residence Inn - Hanover.  I'll review it after I've had a few weeks under my belt, but so far they've been pretty good.

I will tell you that flying into Boston-Logan at 11pm Sunday then drivng 2 hours to get here, putting me in the rack at 2-2:30pm "ain't cuttin' it" for me.  Especially needing to be in the office at 7am Monday.  I'm flying into Manchester from now on and getting there earlier with about an hour drive to the RI.

This contract is suppose to last 12-20 months, so I'm sure I'll be here to see all the pretty snowfall and experience the NH winter. 

Any "hidden gems" in the area for dinner?  Already did Murphy's in Hanover.  Pretty good eats!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Doing my "Willie Nelson" thing again...
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

captbigguy,

Wow, you pick some tough places to get to for work!  Manchester, will sure be a better place to fly to!  You can take Southwest to Baltimore and then on to Manchester.

Wish I could help with a place to dine, but can't!  Hope Sledchick can provide some wonderful information for you, since she lives in Central NH!

Good luck, it should be a beautiful place this Fall!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Hello there, captbigguy!  Sorry for not chiming in on this sooner.  I have been on vacation for a week (it was wonderful) but only checked my e-mails once for a few minutes during the trip.  Kind of nice to have that little break from family and friends, and my cell phone battery died towards the end as I had no way to recharge it.  I was happy with that!

I live 20 minutes from APD and 25 from DHMC, and I'll go on the assumption that you're at the latter hospital since it's significantly larger and your hotel is almost right there.  BTW, I used to do a lot of functions at that RI and put a lot of co-workers up there and they always treated everyone well so you're in good hands.  We have quite a few places in and around the general area (I actually ate at Molly's in Hanover last night which is along the lines of Murphy's -- try it), so I'm going to do a longer listing/more complete reply when I get home from work much later today.  Sorry to tease you with that, but I've got to get out of here soon to drive the hockey camp carpool before work.  I'll wave in your general direction when passing by on the way to Thompson Arena at Dartmouth.  Could you let me know if you have a set driving distance so I can curtail the list?  For example, there is a very nice brewpub in New London right off I-89 that we frequent but as it's 1/2 hour (28 miles) drive for you, you may not want to go that far or maybe you don't enjoy "medicinals" with your meals so that would not be attractive in your world.  Thanks.

jerrycoin -- thanks so much for the shout out!  You knew exactly who could help out here.  I hope you and the Mrs. are doing well.

Have a wonderful day everyone (you too, profchiara!) and I'll be back in touch very soon once the dust and laundry settles around here!

No worries!  I understand completely.  Been very busy myself.

Thanks for the feedback.  I've been hanging pretty close to the RI so far and abusing the per diem by eating their breakfast and "dinner" most days... LOL  Mostly due to the fact that I support another hospital remotely, so no time to really be adventurous yet.

But I plan to do some roaming around once I get more settled in.

Okay, this is the second time I'm trying to get this in tonight!  A one week trip to Ottawa and one emergency trip this week to the parental units' establishment and here we are with much time passing.  My apologies!  Here goes:

Salt Hill Pubs:  one in Hanover and one on the green in Lebanon.  You'll feel welcome and cozy there.  Nice food.  They also have a location in Newport, NH as well.

New Socials:  Located off exit 13 of I-89 at the Eastman Golf Course.  Don't let the golf thing fool you; they make things from scratch and take pride in their fare.  They moved from Claremont as they needed more room!

Simon Pearce:  In Quechee, VT they blow glass and have an outstanding restaurant.  Located off Route 4.  Such a great experience!  They don't have a restaurant in their Windsor location which is also worth visiting (right off Exit 9 on I-91) but the Harpoon Brewery is right there and I've had many nice pub offerings and of course beer there too!

Jesse's:  You're so close to this place, I can't imagine you've not been there yet.  A typical steakhouse but I think it's unique in the fact that it's not a chain and their meats are "butcher" quality.

Common Man:  There are several of these in the state (any one of them will not disappoint you) and the closest one is in Claremont.  It's located in an old mill building and they have a wonderful pation.

Three Tomatoes:  On the green in Lebanon right across from Salt Hill  Italian wityh a somewhat modern twist.  Great break and garlic olive oil for sarting off.

Ziggys:  This is a pizza joing that also has a sports bar.  THe pizzas are pretty good and so are the calzones.

Lui Lui's:  In the Powerhouse Mall in West Lebanon.  Italian food and one of our favorites as they have a patio to sit on in the warmer months.  They have reasonable express lunch specials.

Ramunto's:  The ones in Hanover and one in Claremont are worth visiting.  The Hanover location is down the hill from the Sixth Street South hotel.  Claremont location is a little harder to find but if you're venturing out for a ride one of these late summer evenings it's about 40 minutes from your home base.

Flying Goose Brew Pub and Grille:  New London (I mentioned this one in my earlier post).  Nice atmosphere and if you enjoy a cold brew this is somewhere to try for sure.  New London is a nice little town and there are other restaurants there as well, but I'm not sure how far you want to travel.

The Market Table in Hanover is nice for lunch (sandwiches, etc.).

Yama II in Hanover is the closest location for good sushi, Japanese and Korean eats.

Morano Gelato:  In Hanover right by the Nugget Theater.  Yum!

The Seven Barrel Brewery in West Lebanon on the corner of Airport Road is a great place to catch a brewski, too.

I'm sure you've been to West Lebanon by now.  It's a sprawl of a road and didn't look at all like that 30 years ago!

Let me know if you have a particular food type you are interested in and how far you like to travel as I can surely add to the list (but I kept it fairly local for now as you're probably exhausted after working all day ).    And also, I'd like to throw out there that I'd love to meet you at one of these places after work for a quick drink or dinner if you are so inclined.  The Marriott "meet and greet" is alive and well in the Upper Valley!

Thanks for the input.  I tried Jessie's out last week and turned out very good although it was very busy even at 7pm on a Tuesday night!  Good thing we had reservations!  And even with that we had to wait 10 minutes.  But well worth it!

Pretty busy with work and getting the best route to get there settled.  I'm going to start flying in to Manchester on Sunday afternoons and leaving at noonish on Thursday, so not a lot of time to try out much of the local fare.  But my wife is coming up in early October for the weekend, so we'll try a couple out in between looking at the fall colors.

Just so you'll know, the RI there at Hanover by Dartmouth Med is very good!  The staff make up for a few minor hitches, but the rooms are very relaxing and clean.  Breakfast is pretty good even if they are not aware that biscuits and gravy are a morning staple... LOL  And the week night "meet and greet" they have is hit or miss, but they've hit really well with fajitas one night this week.  The poor cook was scrambling to make enough for all of us.  She made about 200 in a couple of hours!

I'm waiting on a pancake and maple syrup night now... mmmmmmm....

Glad you liked Jesse's -- it's always busy there!  Yes, that RI has always done well by me for corporate stuff (meetings, guest accommodations, etc.).  But don't those Yankees know that southerners need their breakfast fix too?

Nice to hear your wife will be able to come up and enjoy the area.  I can help you out with scenic drives, etc. if you'd like.  Just let me know!

BTW, the July 2014 issue of New Hampshire Magazine is their "best of" compilation.  You might want to peruse that for some more ideas of restaurants and places to go.  I can drop off a copy for you at the RI if you'd like.

Enjoy the start of foliage season!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

agree on the common man's . I have never had a bad meal. They range from diners to historic buildings . they are also opening two roadside rest areas restaurants just south of Concord

jerryl,

The Common Man is actually next to the parking lot of The FF in Concord, a really nice place!

Yes jerrycoin, that Common Man location is excellent as well!  Did you know there are 14 restaurants throughout NH by that particular restauranteur?  I bet you've been to at least half of them.  Have you taken Mrs. Coin to Lake Winnipesaukee yet?  It's lovely there and the Lago restaurant is a perfect location on the lake.  It is part of the Common Man family.

Sledchick,

No, I have not been to that many, but would like to!

Thanks for sharing the information!

Have a wonderful Fall!

I love the variety of restaurants they have (14 locations in all), jerryl.  We love the diversity; the Tilton Diner for example!  And Alex the owner is a true humanitarian.  He and the staff are totally into local causes and helping out the community.  He used to put on a spaghetti buffet at his expense for 300 of us snowmobilers on arrival night of our big weekend fundraiser for Easter Seals.  Just one tiny example of his generosity.  He has a huge heart and an even bigger place in our hearts!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

captbigguy,

Sounds like you'll get to know everything and more about the RI, way to long a time for me to be on the road so blessings to you.

We do expect to learn of your grilling favorites while enjoying your time at the RI.  If they don't have a grill to your liking make sure they go out and get you what you require and show us all your food.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi captbigguy,

Do consider Manchester.  I've never flown out of there, but many colleagues do because it is no further than Boston.  Hanover is a real haul!  I was once an overseer for Dartmouth's history department, and it was one of the most upsetting* drives I have ever done.  Not in the usual sense -- the scenery is lovely.  But if you live in central Maine, the fastest way to get there is drive *2 hours south on 295 or 95 then drive 2 hours north to Hanover in one big V.  Some people go across the mountains, but it takes longer.  It was made worse coming home when the signs were confusing and I found myself headed to Canada...

Two trips via BOS is enough for me...  I begin to fly into MHT next Sunday (working from home this week) and plan to leave it that way.  Some of the other consultants on the project are flying into Hartford and driving up, but it's still a very late arrival for me.  Manchester gets me in the RI rack before midnight and that's OK by me.

And I would address the sign issue around Boston...  VERY confusing.  As you leave the airport, there are several signs stating "I-93 South Boston" but there is nothing about I-93 NORTH, which is the way I need to go.  So I've missed the entrance to I-93 N both times due to the fact that it is hidden until you are right on it after a toll booth and you have to cross five lanes to get to it if you are in the ExpressPay lane.

Rant off...

Adding on to this comment from earlier today -- I had to go to Lebanon today so I left that copy of NH Magazine for you at the front desk of the RI.  There is a note for you attached, addressed to Captbigguy!  Enjoy.

Thanks!  I won't be back up until the 14th, but I'll get it then for sure.  My bride is flying up Oct 9th for the weekend and it will come in handy to have some knowledge of what to do in those three days...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...