14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2014 4:15 AM by kharada46 RSS

If Marriott Won't Listen To Us, What About Bloggers?

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott doesn't listen to us, their most loyal customers... Fine, we know we're fighting a losing battle.  But how about professional travel bloggers that, for the most part, seem to share the same sentiment as us?  Check out this article from one of my favorite BoardingArea blog, One Mile at a Time:

Why You Should Get (But Not Use) the Marriott Credit Card

• Re: If Marriott Won't Listen To Us, What About Bloggers?
    erc Platinum

That's a good blog, thanks for sharing. And of course, another great link is FlyerTalk - Marriott Forum

From our pals at FlyerTalk (thanks to travelsg) http://joinmarriottrewards.com/united/

Reserve by September 5th, stay before October 31 and you can earn (by signing up for the bonus) your regular points/miles and bonus United miles - check it out. ***

Let's keep sharing the deals and ideas.

*** note: unlike vaboywnder who took the time and made the effort to share the recent Plus Points, only to be rewarded for his thoughtfulness by Marriott turning it into a debacle, yours truly is not administering the above promotion, enter at your own risk and if necessary contact The specified item was not found. or KatieC  ( josh, did merb join ansaa in the social moderation team bullpen? oh well, they were good while they were with us)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc, thought you'd like it

But that's a good point too.  We have to carefully select what we share, because there could be unintended consequences that never benefit us in any way.  Funny how that works huh? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

kharada46, erc  Do you find that many of these travel blogs simply regurgitate the same stuff? I follow probably about 8-10 blogs on twitter and I see the same stuff posted over and over. I realize there is a limited quantity of info to share but when I see the same posting 5 times it makes me think either no one is reading each other's stuff, or they are and are always sharing whatever the find no matter how repetitive it is, or they are being paid for each post they make. I love when I see interesting articles and CC promos and airfare glitches. I don't really need to see the same article 23 times about that guy who got kicked off the SWA flight in Denver for his tweet about the surly GA. They should stick to the interesting travel stuff not covered by regular media and leave the stupid stories that the regular media covers to them. What do you guys think?

erc Platinum

I agree with you, many blogs/sites are just trying to attract eyeballs (often to sell ads) and need program content, so often repeat what many of us already have seen or know. But on the other hand, I have a buddy (even closer now ) who sold a blog (an excellent one on Ford trucks) to Ford and pocketed beaucoup dinero, so there is some method to the madness.

I try to encourage all Insiders to share sites/blogs/apps etc. so like the blind date rule, "dress six, pick one" (I was seldom picked ) we get the list out there and pick and choose what may be of value for each of us individually.

Here's one that's pretty good, often with some fresh views   Hotel Reviews, Hotel Ratings, Hotel Openings || HotelChatter

Thanks for playing for the Insiders team .

ks77,

You're absolutely correct!  A lot of them are just  regurgitate info.  Though it's really unavoidable that a lot of travel blogs will all talk about the WN incident, because it's a contentious issue.  But there are good ones.  My favorite one, of course is: One Mile at a Time

This is a relatively new one that looks pretty good so far:  Home | Wendy Perrin | Travel Blog

I'm a big fan of this one too, and while it has some travel, it's primarily about airlines:  DesignAir | The No.1 Site for Airline Product News and Reviews

I'm going to add erc's recommendation to my list too.  Good stuff!  Thanks for sharing

KatieC Member

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

From what I have read, post a complaint here and no response.  Post it on Tripadvisor and Marriott will respond.  That might be what we need to do.

sticks112 Platinum 11 Reviews

I am sure you have some mid management people that scour these boards to see how they can improve the hotels.  I would say they can start by not constantly devaluing benefits though. 

erc, ks77, KatieC,

You guys might find this interesting. 

http://upgrd.com/matthew/introduction-a-journey-to-saudi-arabia-and-afghanistan.html

I don't normally read that blog, the image quality is low, and I'm not a fan of the format, etc. but I found this series to be very interesting! 

I think IAHFLYR, pluto77, tomd68, bejacob, and bpelican would also enjoy this blog series!

erc Platinum

Thanks for sharing, I've pretty much given up the search for flight upgrades. Back in the day when I was your age and worked for Marriott, we actually had a contract for providing food service for Aramco workers. I passed then (also had a chance to work on the Exxon pipeline) and will go to Mt. Rushmore before heading out to Riyadh .

KatieC Member

Thanks for sharing kharada46. Fascinating!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...