7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2014 6:56 PM by profchiara RSS

The Future Is Now

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

A good article on where Marriott is headed, and we already know, millennials, Chinese, and technology. Like Marriott, we need to be flexible to optimize our travel experience, resistance is futile .

http://online.wsj.com/articles/bill-marriott-where-hotels-are-going-1405716717

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Future Is Now
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thanks for posting article erc.  Very informative.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

My main reaction is SAD.  Hearing him say: "We've got to be cool!" makes me wince, as does the reference to gearing everything toward millennials.  I suppose that may make good business sense, but it also explains exactly why things are becoming so difficult for loyalty members in both hotels and airlines.  Sigh.

erc Platinum

That's ok profchiara, you were the vanguard of the Strike out on our own and make it happen movement and you've been doing great. Improvise, adapt, and overcome; The Insiders' motto . Go man, go!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I can imagine the moxy hotels being similar to Aloft hotels. They are small but very nice and modern, at least the Cupertino one is.  They definitely cater to young business given they are right in front of Apple HQ. Im exited to see how it will turn out.

erc Platinum

jm1991, we're counting on you being our 'Ambassador' to the land of cool .

Keep us posted, we can all learn - thanks.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Overall, my reaction was "Meh."

Most of the changes won't affect me much. The one thing I don't like is the idea of "getting rid of in-room desks in many hotels." I always travel with my laptop computer and I prefer to have a desk on which to set it up.

It will be interesting to see how the changes go over. Let's hope they don't all turn out like the Bistro at CY.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Meh is a very good response, bejacob.  I have given up on my tablet after it became useless (because without wireless it had not updated since the school year ended) and bought a MacAir 13" which I intend to use on my upcoming trips.  The Lenovo tab will be reserve only (I updated everything but don't trust it).

But getting room of in-room desks?  I thought Marriott was a business brand?!?  OK, maybe many millennials do everything on IPADs or IPODs, but those of us (as the French say) d'un certain âge, want or need the real deal on the desk.

Anyway, I'm mostly out of the game anyway, and I thank erc for his acknowledgment.  I'm going to the hotels that best serve my needs. Once in a while it will be a Marriott if (like today) I can amazingly use my Cat 5 anniversary certificate for one night at the Mediterraneo in Naples, or have one great night at a good hotel somewhere.  But I'm not going out of my way to do so.

Life has been much, much greener for me since I stopped booking on Marriott and went to independent hotels.  I did NOT jump to other major hotel chains, but found the best hotel, with what I wanted, at the best price on sites like tripadvisor, hotels.com (which turns out as I learned from my Sorrento hotel manager today is owned by expedia), booking.com, trivago, kayak, etc.

I have seen the other side and IT IS GOOD.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...