6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2014 10:05 AM by insidenji RSS

Biggest, Baddest DC Hotel Player

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, if you haven't seen this yet, more proof that Marriott is the dominant hotel chain in its home market, the DC-metropolitan area, is here: - The Washington Post 

A few highlights:

• the new Marriott Marquis Washington, D.C. on Mass Ave is the largest hotel in the district with 1,175 rooms (but Insiders already knew that);
  • the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center is the largest hotel in the Washington area (whatever that means), with 2,000 rooms;
  • more than a third of the top 20 DC (in the city) hotels are Marriott properties:
    • 1. new Marriott Marquis
    • 2. Marriott Wardman Park - also one of the most confusing (and potentially maddening) hotels on the planet, but great METRO access
    • 7. Renaissance Washington Downtown - still relatively new, but that part of town is still evolving (and improving fast)
    • 8. JW Marriott - the classic - great location
    • 9. Mayflower Residence - ahhhh - the jewel in the crown - many Insiders rave about this property, particularly the suites
    • 12. Washington Marriott Georgetown
    • 13. Washington Marriott at Metro Center
    • 19. Renaissance Dupont Circle
  • and, of course, the "in the city" list (above) excludes a number of classics ranging from the Key Bridge Marriott (the views!!!), the big Crystal City properties (I prefer the Crystal Gateway), and, further afield, the wonderful Westfields property (with its extremely well managed golf course), or the suburban but fun Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center (with its lake, restaurants, movies, shopping, etc.)...
  • if you search Washington DC for Marriott hotels, you'll get 150 options!!! 
    • and more than 50 are within 10 miles of the DC city center!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, D.C., USA
  • Re: Biggest, Baddest DC Hotel Player
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I had a fine experience at Metro Center, but it is just like any other Marriott in any other city.  Well, maybe the service is better.  I did have very good service there.  But at one point I was across the street in the Macy's thinking I should go back to the Marriott, and I literally forgot what city I was in because it seems like every city has a Marriott across the street from a Macy's, and they all look the same!  The Mayflower, on the other hand, is a truly unique experience and a DC icon.  It's lovely and embodies everything a historical hotel should be.  I have yet to try the JW or any of the others.  Even though I'm a Marriott loyalist, in my estimate, the Willard defines DC luxury and sets the standard, and the Hay Adams is a close second.  I do love the Mayflower, though, and yes, I was upgraded to a suite!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Don't forget the four Ritz-Carlton's!

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

I just stayed @ the Mayflower & The New Marriott Marquis. Check out my reviews under these specific hotels.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

I love Washington DC and haven't had a bad experience at any of the Marriott properties in the area.  I'm excited because I have reservations at the new Marriott Marquis this weekend and just read a great review, I can't wait.

I've stayed at the Marriott at Metro Center, the Renaissance downtown, the JW Marriott downtown, the Gaylord (a bit too big for my tastes but otherwise very nice), the Crystal City Marriott, the Crystal Gateway Marriott (my favorite in Crystal City), the Courtyard Dunn Loring, the Courtyard US Capitol, and the Courtyard Washington Convention Center on 9th and F which is actually one of my favorites even though not a full service Marriott.  It is in an historic bank building which I think is very elegant, I always request a certain room on the top floor and the rooms on the top floors (probably other floors too) have been redecorated in bold reds and golds, the staff is great, the Bistro is nice for a quick breakfast, in the past they've had wine and snacks in the evening in the lobby but not sure if they still do this.  My only complaint is the room rate which is usually quite a bit higher than some other properties like the Crystal City ones.  I got stuck at this Courtyard during hurricane Sandy and normally I would've been delighted to be stuck in DC, unfortunately most things were closed, the museums, the Metro, etc.  And probably the best thing about CY9F (my acronym for it) is the location, simply the best!!

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Have a great trip insidenji. You will love the Marquis.  I did. And thanks for the info on the other DC hotels. If you can, try my favorite restaurant, Ris, on L & 23rd.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to this trip but any chance to go to DC I look forward to.  And thanks for the restaurant tip, I hope I get a chance to go there.

I'll post a review of the Marquis when I get back, it looks great!!