31 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2014 1:38 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Why MRIs are great

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Today I got a personal birthday message from Jerry Coin.  I have no idea when I disclosed my birthday, but what a wonderful surprise for someone who has almost no family left.  Thank you, Jerry, and thank you community for providing me with so much interesting talk each year!

Cheers, ProfChiara

PS - Being the boring person I am I did nothing but read books for fall semester and work on syllabi.

But we did have some excitement in Maine.  We are once again outside the polar vortex, and I have never seen such high dew points (78 in Waterville today dew point, temp 74, which apparently felt like 89 acc to my weather app).  It was horribly oppressive, but when I got birthday greetings from friends in Wisconsin they told me it was cold!  Go figure.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why MRIs are great

I forget to mention the 'excitement' -- late afternoon early evening TV news were full of possible tornado watches for central Maine (NEVER HAPPENS) as well as very real flooding which was obvious from the TV live photos.  Fortunately, thus far, Waterville has been spared, but the badly hit areas are just to the SW and W.  Tomorrow may be another story.

I can deal with snow, ice, and hurricanes, but tornadoes freak me out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Well then, happy birthday!  It is very humid and lots of rain here in NJ, too.

Hi muppetwrangler,

I think we in the NE got the worst of the polar vortex now, though we benefited from it in the winter (though nothing about last winter can be called good -- it was the worst in the 20 years I have lived in Maine).  Hope you get through it okay. Lots of places in Maine are flooded, though despite tornado warnings, no evidence yet of touchdown. Be safe!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks, not quite ark building conditions yet, although more storms forecasted for overnight.

It's supposed to be even worse tomorrow in Maine, with 4-5 inches of rain, though that said, they didn't expect possible tornadoes today.  But when I checked my phone, the dew point was 78 -- that is way beyond tropical, it is next to impossible in places like Maine.  But it was real, so I worry about tomorrow.  Be safe!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I remember where it came from, and as a matter of fact, there are a number of MRI birthdays coming up.  But for today, and for you our dearest Professor,

Happy Birthday!!!

(And a toast to many more.)

Ah Pluto, you are one of my dearest friends (virtually for now), but I feel I know you!  That is why I will never leave MRI.  (And historians never say always or never, so this is a pretty sure bet.)  I don't remember when I said it, but if you did I guess I must've.  Thank you!

Thanks, Prof!  A high compliment coming from you.

In one of our MRO conversations last year, the subject of birthdays came up (in the context of the free Marriott elite night credit).  This was around the same time when we were speculating what day the latest British Royal Birth would occur. Today (the day after yours), is actually another MRI birthday, though he hasn't chimed in much lately.  Do you remember who it is?  Also later this month, yet another MRI birthday, but we don't here from him very often anymore here on MRI these days either (off enjoying retirement, the Caribbean and Bosox away games).  But hey, to you two birthday gentlemen - if you're reading, you know who you are - to both of you, Happy Birthday!  One of you had a milestone birthday last year, and one of you is having a milestone birthday this year.  Enjoy!

Professor, I know you don't celebrate your birthday (rather you celebrate each and every day), but I love birthdays and my ears perk up and I take note when people talk about them.

I think it's wonderful that Jerry has a good memory for that stuff.  I had to dig deep into the bowels of email archives to recall this information, and in doing so, had the happy pleasure of re-reading through some absolutely fascinating, enlightening and thoroughly enjoyable (add titillating and humorous as well) conversations from the past.  Though I miss those conversations within a great group of folks, I am ever grateful ...

I hope everyone is getting their free Marriott elite night birthday credit too (though a personal birthday wish from jerrycoin is worth far, far more any day of the year!)

Bonne journee!

What a great post!

You're going to have to enlighten me, Pluto.  I either was out of the country (where as you know I often have trouble connecting with MRI) or somehow missed the birthdays.  Would anadyr be one of them, judging from your clue?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

That would be my first guess as well, good ole young whipper snapper Anadyr.

I think we all have a responsibility to keep each other young, just like my students do for me -- except of course when the joints go out and I fall flat on my face...

I'll message you.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

You are too kind, but be careful for me!

I may get "Billed" for other's "Free rooms"!

Really, "I am not that good"!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Happy birthday to yoooooouuuuuu!

Keep on keepin on, Prof.

Thanks, painedplatinum!  Your posts are always a joy!  And whether I stay at Marriotts or not, I intend to stay on the site because my favorite people are here.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Happy Birthday profchiara!  Hope you had a great day!

Thank you so much!  It was a pretty boring day, actually.  I re-read parts of Voltaire's Candide and read 1/3 of a really good book on 1066: The Conquest of England.  I had to change a course at the last minute, so in addition to other new books I'm using for 3 courses in the fall, I have 5 new books to read for Medieval England.  But so far all good!  And I have my beloved cat showing me how to understand meteorology:

I didn't understand her behavior (though I should have from previous severe thunderstorms) but around 3pm she took a spot in the middle of my apartment (albeit 3rd floor) away from all windows and doors and nearest the middle of the whole building.  I turned on the TV at that point and saw all the severe tornado warnings.  Animals ARE smarter than people -- which was also proven to be the case in the Indonesian tsunami of a few years back.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

You are way too kind!

Ladycoin and I enjoy sharing your posts and hope we will someday have a chance to enjoy your fine company!

All the MRIs I have had the pleasure to meet have been wonderful people.

Hope you had a wonderful Birthday, and thanks from all of us, on your sharing your fantastic travel experiences with

us!

Thank you, Jerry!  Except for the weather it was a very quiet birthday.  I'm sure we'll meet up some day since we came close in Rome.  Keep organizing these group get togethers!

Cheers, ProfChiara

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

WWell prof the weather is changing . I am in New Hampshire heavy rain today then dry weather

KatieC Member

Happy belated, profchiara! Wonderful that you have found a great community on Insiders.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Here's another birthday wish, day late. Hope your birthday isn't this embarrassing! Forgetfulness.jpg

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Happy Belated Birthday Prof, hope you had a wonderful day and night.  That Jerry Coin is something isn't he?

He sure is!  Thanks! to you and everyone else -- we really are a community !

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

Here is a bit belated Birthday greeting from me, too!!!  Thanks for broadening my horizons in so many ways, especially historically and culturally….your observations and posts are always appreciated.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Happy belated Prof!...and many more of them! But, for now, I hope you thoroughly enjoyed!

Same to you, tef!  I can see that Pluto will become our birthday organizer !

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I agree Prof! I'm also beginning to realize as I get older I need an organizer for a lot of things!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I'm a little late to your party, ProfChiara, but I wanted to tell you:

1) Happy belated birthday

2) Enjoy the rest of your birthday month and year (although I do agree with what someone posted above that I know you get the most out of every day)

3) I wish you good health and a hearty "Sto Lat" (what we Polish people say on someone's birthday -- it literally means "100 years" but remember, a long time ago to live past the prime of one's life was a miracle in itself)!

Dziękuję, Sledchick!  (I don't know Polish, so I cheated and used google translate).  To happy, long lives to all!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Prosze!  You're welcome!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...