6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2014 4:59 PM by jm1991 RSS

any success making reservations for relatives?

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've never made a reservation at Marriott properties for anyone other than myself so I'm a bit confused as to what can earn me points. So my parents are going to a wedding in Sacramento and planning on reserving two nights at the residence inn but don't know if I'll be able to go. I want to reserve the room with my account to get the points but I've read Marriott doesn't issue them if im not there. Would they do it if I have my mother or father as second guests and say I'll be checking in later? If I fill out a credit card authorization form with all my stuff (ID, membership card, credit card)? My mother is also an authorized user for the Marriott visa card FYI. Has anyone had any success receiving points in these sort of situations?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: any success making reservations for relatives?
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

jm1991 This topic's been discussed a number of times. The following thread has a number of suggestions, but as pluto77 so keenly observes, the issue seems to be "clear as mud."

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/88716#88716

It would appear that since your mother is an authorized card user, you should be able to get the points. Perhaps The specified item was not found., KatieC, or jmart could chime in and shed a little clarity on the subject.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

KatieC Member

Ok, here's what I learned

If your mother is an authorized user of the Marriott Rewards Visa card, then she would definitely earn the Marriott Rewards Visa points. As far as the standard Marriott Rewards earnings go, the account holder would have to be present in order to earn. If your parents are checking in a few hours earlier than you, that would be fine because you will still be staying there for the night. However, if your parents check in a day before, you wouldn't be eligible for that day that she wasn't there.

Hope that is helpful! Please let me know if you have additional questions.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I've made reward reservations for friends of mine in Istanbul, Turkey, recently, and more recently for my grandson in Virgin Islands on his honeymoon. None of these qualify for points or nights' stays for my account. However, I recently also made reservations in PA for three business associates from Italy and I paid for their two hotel rooms, along with mine, and I received points and nights for three rooms, but also the bill for the three hotel rooms.

My opinion is that for anyone to receive any benefit from reservations for someone else is the Marriott card holder must be present at the same place, same time. If the other persons, for whom you make reservations, don't have a Marriott Reward Card, you might receive nights' stay(s), but only if you (the card holder) are also present; however, I yield to others if they have other experiences.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

cool thanks everyone for the input. I guess ill just make it and see if there is any luck getting them. At least ill still be getting the 5pnts per dollar for the credit card. It hurts to know ill be losing out on around 3or4k points

Just remembered i can get the friends and family discount from a friend and its way cheaper than the regular rate. If i aint gonna be getting regular points for the reservation might as well just get a lower rate and earn those from the credit card ^_^

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...