15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2014 9:22 AM by fschumpert RSS

Here's a Few Questions for Travelers

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Similar questions have been previously posted by others, but perhaps an update would be helpful:

1.  For most of us it's customary to leave a gratuity, or  "T.I.P." (i.e., "to insure profit", I believe the intention) for the one who serves you a meal in a restaurant. In the U.S. sometimes the meal receipt suggests a certain percentage; when the group exceeds 6-8 people, the tip is automatically added.

Voluntarily, what % tip do you award your waiter (waitress)?

A) In the U.S.

B) In other countries

2.  When I stay in a hotel (motel) for more than one night, I leave a tip on my bed pillow to thank the "chamber maid".

A) Do you?

B) How much?

3.  What about checking into a hotel with luggage and use valet parking?

A) Do you tip the "bell boy", who brings luggage to your room?

B) How much ?  (general amount, or $ per bag)

C) And, valet parking - do you tip the one who parks your car initially, or only the one who brings it to you at time of departure?

D) How much do you tip?  Do you tip more during inclement weather?u

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Here's a Few Questions for Travelers
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great questions.

1A.  Average service they'll start out with 20%, 25% is the highest I remember giving, and $1 with a note as to the reason...that is the lowest for someone that was horrid and subsequently was fired.

1B,  Same as 1A unless gratuity in included, is so and above average service I will increase the amount.

2A.  Not every time, if at a resort and have had the same maid I always leave gratuity on the pillow with a note thanking them for their work.

2B.  $10-$20 depending on number of nights.

3A.  Do not use "Bell Service" as we take carry-on.

3B.  N/A

3C.  The tip goes to the Valet Associate that brings the car to us.

3D.  Minimum of $3 and if they've brought the car previously in a timely fashion as well as been friendly $5.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

WOW! I tip similarly at restaurants, depending on quality of service and cost of the meal, but you've outdone me on hotel room service and valet retrievals!!!

Nah, I just had so many two and three week stays in the same area that I got to know the staff quite well and the maids would always leave me extra goodies in the room so I always tried to hit the ATM on the last day so when I checked out I'd have money to leave.

The valet, I'm just happy to have my car back in one piece so figure they deserve a bit more for not ruining it.

rbmia Platinum

Here are my standards for US and the caribbean islands.

1. Minimum tip should be 15%. The norm now is 20% and more if the service was truely excellent.  If the service was really horrible you can give 10% and let the manager know you are not returning due to service.  I don't punish the server for food issues.  That is the chefs fault.  Based on new tax laws the manditory tip should be going away this year as most restaurants would take a financial hit from what I understand.

2.  Depending on the level of Marriott and service I leave between $1-$5 per night.

3.  If I use a bell boy I tip $1-$2 per bag depending on size. Valet at the hotel only when I leave each time between $1-$2.  If I am at a location that hails me a cab I also give $2 each time.

For those that use the concierge lounge, do you normally tip and if so how much?  If I see the same person helping with breakfast each morning I normally give them $3-$5 for a week's stay.  I picked this up from a former boss.  Does anyone else? Sometimes I see people leave money next to their empty plates but not to often.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

I am pretty much in line with your guidelineS.  I typically leave a couple of bucks for the lounge attendants.

KatieC Member

Love this convo as I am always unsure about tipping. I do try to travel with at least 20 singles, depending on length of stay, just so I am prepared. Also, I  sometimes tip in $2 bills because it is unique and I think people remember you for things like that. Weird?

That's not weird at all, at least not to this ole geezer.  $2 bill is perfect plus it keeps the wallet less full.

Haven't seen any $2 bills lately; about as rare as the gold dollar coins issued back in 2006. Only $3 bill I've seen was bogus one with Bill Clinton's face on it - don't think this originated with a Democrat!

annapolitanplat Platinum

Here are the guidelines I follow in tipping:

1) A. restaurant wait staff (US) normal service -- 18% (food and beverage not including taxes), outstanding service from 20-25% depending on how outstanding the service was.

1) B.  Outside the US and the Caribbean, I do my best to follow local custom

2) Yes, I always tip the maid.  At minimum, I leave $2-$3 per night (never on a pillow -- the maids can spot tips wherever you leave them in plain sight -- nightstand, in front of the TV or on the desk) at the end of my stay.  If the maids fulfilled a special request during during the stay, I leave a bit extra.  If Marriott upgraded me to a suite, I leave a minimum of $5 per night at the end of the stay.  I was shocked to learn that members of my company did not tip the maid and explained to my fellow team members that anyone who cleans my bathroom deserves some form of extra remuneration.

3)  I don't normally use the bell staff -- all my luggage has wheels.  In the rare event that I do, I tip $2 per bag.  I also tip them $2 per bag when they store my bags while awaiting a room or on checking out and needing storage until a meeting ends.  If they carry my bag into the hotel or load the cab, I will typically tip $1 per bag.  I also tip $2 when they hail a cab.

4)  I only tip valet when leaving the hotel -- normally $3-$5 depending on how long I have to wait for the car.

Hope this helps!

You're a bigger tipper than I except for restaurants, and I usually give bellman $1/bag if he helps take luggage to room. Most often, I'm carrying only rollerboard luggage, though.  However, I usually have only given chamber maids $1/day - need to increase this, I suppose, and I only give $1 to valet parking attendant unless he has to retrieve auto in rain or snow. Better rethink this as well.

Thanks!

Fred you're doing just fine, you're right around what I'd estimate is the norm if not slightly better than the norm.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi fschumpert,

I'll try to remember all the questions, though some don't apply.

1) In the US what do I tip my waiter/waitress -- 20% if the service and food was good; less if it was not

2) Abroad, I usually read websites about what is expected and what is already included in service charges, which varies enormously in the EU.  There is a fine line between tipping too little and tipping too much (Americans usually err on the side of the latter, French people [sorry, I love you] on the fomer). If service is included, it is usually expected to round up. This becomes more complicated with credit cards, and some countries do not allow you to add tips to credit card bills.  If I have had a truly wonderful meal in a restaurant, even with the service charge, and have had many courses with wine, I will leave as much as 10-20 euros.

For tips to the chambermaid, I always leave something starting the first night (it almost always assures better service). But it depends on the hotel.  In places like Greece, they'll simply leave it there.  I've tried placing it in different places, but with the same result.  Some countries only expect the real tip on the final day.  I prefer, however, depending on how much I like the hotel and service, to leave about 5-15 euros a day as a tip -- though I don't leave it on the pillow (it could get wrapped up and washed).  I try to leave it in an obvious place where they don't think they've just left some money I forgot -- I think except at luxury hotels, there is a potential fear among staff that they will be accused of theft.

When checking in, I really prefer (though it's not always possible depending on security) to just take my one carry-on piece of luggage straight to my room so I can get settled in.  If someone comes with me to show me how the room works and its amenities, I usually tip 2 euros.

I almost never rent a car in Europe, so that's not an issue.  But if a concierge or desk attendant has been particularly helpful, I usually leave money in the hotel envelopes that are in your room and hand them to the person on checking out.

Best, ProfChiara

One thing about tipping in a foreign country, using a credit card - unlike the US, in foreign countries you have to most often include the tip before the card is processed, or just leave the tip in cash on the table; otherwise, the tip is usually not included on your credit card charge.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

It seems I am the same as most folks here.  Standard tip for servers is +/- 20%, depending on service.  The lounge attendant tips range from $2 - $20, depending on the property, what the attendant does and which meal service I am there for, and how many are in my party.  I see most people who tip in the lounge go directly to the server, who is usually in the back room, as they are always in and out and very busy. 

Abroad, I am the same as profchiara; it's a tricky business tipping in the EU.  If Housekeeping does not pick up my daily tips, I leave the accumulated amount for them at the end of my stay.

The valet gets $1-$2 for hailing a taxi.  I do not tip when dropping off my car but they get $2-$5 when they bring it up. The reason I don't tip the valet upon entry is because it is the bell staff who gather the luggage and take it to the room, and then show me the room/amenities and bring me ice.  They receive $3-$5, depending on # of bags and quality of service. 

I tip the Concierge depending on what it is they do.  Basic information is $1-$5.  If they have arranged for theatre tickets and recommended and made dinner reservations, then I will tip a minimum of $10, depending on service.

Housekeeping gets $3-$5/day, depending on property and quality of service.

Shuttle drivers get $2-$5 per trip, depending on whether they are just dropping me off or are helping me with my luggage.  They also earn extra if they provide tour guide commentary and/or insider tips, or have a sunny disposition.  I respond well to happy people. 

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

fschumpert, Nice post.

1.  Whether in US or abroad, 20% for excellent service, between 15% and 20% good service, 10% to 15% fair to poor service.

2.  $2/day for average to good service.  $0/day for poor service.

3.  Bellman - normally $5; Valet parking $2 initially, $2 each time they bring car to me

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...