10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2014 9:32 AM by ssindc RSS

Frankfurt or Stuttgart?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

pluto77,

Planning a trip to Germany the first week in November (1-8).

Need your advice or anyone else's.  Should I fly into what airport to visit Heidelberg to do some Christmas shopping?

Where to stay?  Have stayed in Karlsrue and Stuttgart, but need a place for one week!

What is your advice!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Frankfurt, Germany
Karlsruhe, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Karlsruhe Hotel
Stuttgart/Sindelfingen, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
  • Re: Frankfurt or Stuttgart?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

That sounds like a lovely and wonderful idea (Christmas shopping in Germany) and your locations look splendid, though I fear I may not be of much help, as I am not at all very familiar with the German state of Baden-Wurttenberg, with the isolated exceptions of Baden-Baden and Heidelberg.

I would definitely fly in and out of Frankfurt.  If you say that you will be shopping in Heidelberg specifically, perhaps you might consider the lovely Heidelberg Marriott (and be sure to request a river view).  Lovely property, no CL but a wonderful  breakfast room that overlooks the river and excellent service.  Be sure to visit the castle while you are there.  The other two options that you mentioned, Karlsruhe and Stuttgart appear to have very nice Marriott properties, and there are some exciting things to do/see in both places (specific to your purpose, it appears that there are Christmas Markts in Stuttgart), but I have never stayed at either one.  While both look very nice, the Marriott in Stuttgart looks slightly more upscale and has an Executive Lounge.  On the other hand, Karlsruhe is only a 30 minute drive from HeideIberg as opposed to Stuttgart, which is a 90 minute drive from Heidelberg.  Also, I don't think any of the locations warrant a week long stay, but I understand the preference to not want to pack up and move around.

See, I'm not much help, I'm afraid, and sorry.  Hopefully others will chime in.  Thanks for thinking of me though.  And now taking a look myself, you've got me pining for another trip to wonderful Germany! 

How much time do you see yourselves spending in each place?  How far are you comfortable driving for day trips?  I'll post an additional thought or two when I get home tonight.

Cheers,

P

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto,

That is so nice of you to be so helpful!

Will look into flying into Frankfurt, driving to Heidelburg, spending the week with a river view, and taking "Day trips" out of there!  Have been before, but didn't stay long enough.  Plans include,

Day trip to Basel for lunch.

Visit Colmer again, it is a great town.

Visit the site where Audey Murphy won the Cong. Medal of Honor.

Hit some vineyards in Alsace Lorraine

Take a Rhine River curise

Christmas shop till we drop!

Find some nice places to dine.

Actually Germany was my third choice, but I can't find reasonable flights to Venice nor Monte Carlo!   Will end up the year on a "High Note"!  Am looking forward to London in Oct., Germany in November, and Paris in December!

The Christmas tree will be a joyous place again this year!

pluto77, if you have any detailed suggestions, please pass them on!

Hi Jerry,

Sounds like a real blast.  Certainly no lack of things to take in and enjoy there.  Regarding the Christmas Markts, everything that I've read states that they begin the first day of Advent (End of November) and run through about Dec. 22nd.  You are greatly more well traveled than I, and so I must be missing something here.

Pluto,

Again Thanks!

Am working on flights and rooms.  One advantage to Stuttgart is that it is also an easy drive to Munich and Garmisch!

May have to go back fro some more Christmas shopping!

Will you fly Delta?

Ah, Garmisch.  Reminds me of the restaurant we have in common, La Vie.  They served the best Bouillabaisse, which is what I coincidentally had for dinner last night to celebrate (a day early) Le Quatorze Juillet.  Happy Bastille Day!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Well, once you're talking Munich, Bavaria is a whole 'nuther vacation region....  Recently spent some time in Munich (after many years), and recommend it without hesitation: Munich - wonderful

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

The Heidelberg Marriott is very nice.  It does have a very nice Exec Lounge with an excellent view over the river and good food and drink.

Rudesheim is a cute river wine town where you can board a boat for the Rhine cruise. St. Goar is also a cute town along the river with castle ruins and pretty frescoes in the town church.  Boppard is another.  Marksberg Castle would be the best intact castle to tour along the river.   You can take the boat down the river then return by train to your starting point.  "Down the river" heads north-bound, don't ask me why.   Burg Eltz In the hills above the Moselle River is another castle worth visiting.

Trifels, where Richard the Lionhearted was held captive while returning from the crusades, is an easy day trip.

I disliked the Stuttgart property and the town.  Checked out after one night.  You can see my comments that are in the thread to the right of this thread titled "Stuttgart Marriott... Yikes"

I would not spend the full week in Heidelberg but would opt for a second location even if not a Marriott.

Newhiltonmembr,

That's good to know about the lounge at Heidelberg, and also good to know about the Stuttgart Marriott.  Might be worth an email for Jerry to see if it may have been recently renovated.  Did you visit any of the castles in and around Stuttgart and also Karlsruhe Castle?  I was also wondering about the Botanical Gardens Wilhelma Park.  It looks worthy of a visit, although I'm not sure about November.

When we cruised the Rhine, we sailed "up" river, that is to say, we sailed south.  We caught a regional train from Bacharach (free parking, if I recall correctly) and took it north to Sankt Goar and then sailed back against the current.  I would've liked a longer cruise, but that's all we had time for.  This article explains why "down" river is north.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Dunno if you saw this old data dump: Frankfurt Marriott Transportation Options?  Might be helpful....

Personally, I'm also a fan of the Frankfurt Marriott (walkable or an easy streetcar from the train station/Hauptbahhof)....  Great museums on the river... Palmengarten, etc...

Thank-you The specified item was not found.!

This is great info!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...