11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2014 10:49 AM by kingkamea RSS

Upgrades

debbiebrown Platinum 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Curious.....I am reading about people totally put off because they did not receive an upgrade with their room. Are we, the platinum members, expected to receive an upgrade or to be appreciative to receive one if one is available? What constitutes an upgrade? Thank you...would like to know...cuz I don't know if we receive many.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Upgrades
    erc Platinum

Although Search can be your friend, often it's not as effective as it should be. There are boatloads of discussions about your topic, here's one ( Tips on getting room upgrades  and then slide over to the More Like This column in Orange for additional reading).

Here's to the meat of your question, the policy as outlined in Platinum benefits:

Here are the terms and conditions: 
    "Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites.  All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club."

Should you be appreciative of one - certainly, it makes for a better stay

Should you be anticipating one - well as you can see from the broadness of the terms, (some travelers view near the elevator as an upgrade, others view away from the elevator as an asset etc etc) you might be getting one and not even know it - so, once again, a person's experience can be influenced by their attitude.

Like IAHFLYR, I'm heading out for the day, so if I don't respond to a follow up, please don't take it as rudeness. Welcome to Insiders.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you for your help....and I would NEVER consider a person rude, because they did not get RIGHT back to me. I would hope one WOULD have a life outside of answer questions on a chat board

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

erc provided answer to your question with underlined link. As far as my experience goes, I've generally been offered room upgrade with asking; however, when I check in and the clerk does not tell me they've upgraded me, I ask about it. Some Marriott properties - Fairfield (not the suites), Courtyard and Residence Inn - do not have upgrades available in some locations, and upgrades at Marriott Hotel & Resorts are generally more difficult to obtain, especially during high season. When you make your reservations on line you have the option for "upgrade rooms" (for an added fee); however, with platinum membership I usually wait until check in because an upgrade at this time doesn't require higher room rate. One other suggestion:  if you have a special occasion (anniversary, birthday, etc.), you might call Marriott to make reservation and tell them this and an upgrade might be their way of saying "congratulations".

Hope this is helpful.

Always fun to learn new things!

kingkamea Platinum 1 Reviews

I see that you're looking for answers to the elusive "room upgrade". I'm going to expand on fschumpert's answer and tell you my "trick" for a guaranteed room upgrade. Whenever I'm planning a special trip with my family and/or my wife, I call the hotel and find out who the hotel uses for their fresh cut flowers. I call the hotel's florist and have flowers sent to myself for the day of my arrival. I have used this "trick" on numerous occasions, and have only had 1 complaint. My wife arrived at the hotel before I did and when she checked in, she called me joking that she was disappointed......the hotel only put her in the Governor's Suite instead of the Presidential Suite. NOTE: The walk-in closet in the Governor's suite was bigger than an average hotel room.

This "trick" has NEVER failed me. I hope it helps you.

How big a bouquet....grin?

I'm not exactly sure, but I doubt that I've ever spent more than $50.......I hope I've been helpful!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

That's an interesting trick kingkamea!  I'll have to give it a try someday...  

It's NEVER failed me!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Nice post fschumpert.  I agree with your technique and assessment totally.  Of late I have received some great upgrades without asking at FS Marriotts and FIs.  Have been Platinum Premier for the last several years and I believe this has helped. 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I agree with the other posters. It depends on a whole host of different factors. The brand itself, the location, time of year, events in the area, elite status, etc. I agree that when staying at Courtyards, FFI, and Residence Inns you generally don't get an upgrade other than maybe a top floor or away from the elevator. If you are staying at a full service Marriott or a Renaissance or higher level property, then upgrades can be corner rooms, suites, river/ocean views, etc. I will say, if you have a special occasion coming up contact the property directly and request what you are looking for. I have yet to be turned down. In fact I am usually thrilled with not only the room but the service I get. I always make it a point thank those who helped me and to leave a great review the property afterwards on MRI, and tripadvisor. Great service should be recognized and I think that is a great way to do so. On the other hand, if you are staying at a property during high season, or a holiday weekend, or a huge event is in town the odds of an upgrade decrease dramatically. I hope this helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...