27 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2014 3:41 PM by iahflyr RSS

Flash Perks starting July 17th - noon Central time

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

The entity formerly known as NathalieF   posted a thread that could be of significant interest to us Insiders, especially if

a) it truly does give us a first look see (remember the surprise party confusion )

b) it actually does offer deals (as opposed to some of their Marriott Rewards Offers)

By also posting it here, we should increase viewership (since once it leaves the Big Screen as a blog it goes deep into the bowels)

Ok, enough editorializing. Let's see if we get advance notice and what 'deals' actually look like - see you on the other side of 7/17

Be First in Line for Flash Perks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Flash Perks starting July 17th - noon Central time
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Yeah, what is this new entity named anyway, "Greater Team Leader" or what?

This could be quite good and let's hope it doesn't equal surprise party with rules embedded so deep only Rumsfeld can find them.

The good news, Marriott recognizes Central Time!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

If I had to take a guess the hotel deals will mostly be advance purchase with no cancellation.  Guess we will have to wait and see.

erc Platinum

I'm leaning your way on that as well. I'm hoping it's as least as worthwhile as their CyberMonday sale, where granted, all the stars had to line up, but there were some legitimate deals for the lucky few who were able to align their travels to the short window of opportunity (similar to you snagging those two $500 gift cards, you clever guy, you).

I'll also be eager to see how well they implement the "Insider" first look and I'll be watching to see if it has 'legs' or is another one trick pony like the infamous (my favorite) Ask Arne and win points (hundreds of questions, one answered - how Marriott picks sites!).

Next week the action begins;

Monday 7/14 - introduction of https://www.marriottrewardsflashperks.com/

Wednesday 7/16 - heads up to Insiders - this will be a major indicator of potential, we'll see

Thursday 7/17 - noon Central time - I'm going to Chicago, so I don't get confused about the time

KatieC Member

Hi all - Here's some info for you. Hope this is helpful! They won't be posting a sneak peek at the deals every week, but each week, the Flash Perks site will tease a few of the next week’s incoming deals. Also, there’s no e-mail opt-in but Flash Perks go live at 12:00 p.m. Central every Thursday, so put it on your calendars!

erc Platinum

KatieC

Whereas they may not "they won't be posting a sneak peek at the deals every week" they better do it next week after posting on Insiders yesterday that they would

Our first Flash Perks sale goes live on Thursday, July 17th at 12PM Central Time, and we’ll be giving you the first look at some of the amazing deals the day before, right here on Insiders. Thanks from the Marriott Rewards Flash Perks Team for being loyal Marriott Rewards members!

Make sure someone informs the Greater Team of this commitment. Thank you.

KatieC Member

Thanks, @erc. I went back to the team and I am told that you will certainly be getting that exclusive sneak peek right here on Insiders on Wednesday. Stay tuned!

erc Platinum

Hey gang, Marriott (like several restaurants) are also going to offer - Local perks on your mobile devices

Next Gen Travelers Can Have it Now – Award-winning Marriott Rewards Launches FlashPerks & LocalPerks - Marriott News Center

So vaboywnder, zukracer, ks77, kharada46  and all you other 'cool' kids, be sure to book yours, and then share with your technologically challenged Insider pals    Thank you veddy much.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

If the queensize feather pillows go on sale for lets say, $15, then I'm hoping someone on here will have the common decency to snap up two for me, or give me the early heads up!!.... I'l keep an eye out for the Marriott toilet paper spindles and commit to ordering a gross to be used in trade.

erc Platinum

Will be camping out just around corner from Michigan Ave (Millennium Knickerbocker) in order to get my Central Time Zone Game Face on. Insider party at 11:50 am Thursday (if I'm not there, start without me)

Ready to snag an online deal.
        Go man, Go!
           in programming, see Type

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Noon central time is a wholly civilised 7pm here in the UK, though I confess I'll be more of an interested observer as all my weekends between now and mid September are booked up...

erc Platinum

Thumbs Up I often give Marriott a hard time - but, in my opinion, thumbs up for the initial Flash Perks. A heads up to Insiders and some worthwhile deals. Don't worry, I haven't gone soft and gotten all lovey dovey, but as they say in the deal world, "it's better than a stick in the eye". Go man, go.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

eh im a bit disappointed on the selected dates for the hotel half off points. I knew it was most likely going to be limited but i was hoping at least my birthday would be available :/ oh well

erc Platinum

Well, happy birthday in advance to you anyway, and be certain to get your one free night elite status credit (no, not a free hotel night, a free night toward elite status) for your birthday.    2013 Birthday Elite Night Credit

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

The site seems kinda cool but it certainly didn't blow me away. Half off point redemptions certainly is a cool thing but none of them make sense for me really so I passed.

erc Platinum

I agree, nothing really mind blowing (in which case if it was, our concern would be like Jimmy Buffet tickets, they'd be gone before you could get a good one), but I felt several (SF, Essex House, NY Marquis) were 'in the ball park'. Yeah, I would have liked the Essex House Christmas rate $209 to have been the August rate (or allow two rooms) and SF was Labor Day and Thanksgiving etc etc, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt with the idea if I can snag one deal over 10 Flash Perk weeks, I'm doing ok (but granted, it's not really a game for road warriors).

erc Platinum

As if to prove the point that if really good they'd be gone before you could get a good one; The ten San Juan Renaissance for 20k points a night (8/17-24 and Sept 7-14) deals were gone by 1:01 (or I should say 12:01 Central Time, one minute after opening).

I have learned the key to success in this game - don't want anything . I've been to LaConcha and it's nice, but boy, I'd have been disappointed if I had wanted that deal. 

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Well there were some FTers who were refreshing at the start of it & within 10 seconds the deal was gone.  Makes one wonder.  Note I was not one of them.

What I find interesting is how the merchandise offers sell out so fast.  You can buy everything that's being offered pretty cheaply, much less than what it took to earn the points.  Must be people w/ a lot of points who don't care.

Cheers.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It's like the cheapest airline tickets, there is a seat or two at that price and that's it.  Looks like these Perks are for a single room to two then gone as well.  I'm also no liking the very restrictive dates on some of them I saw today, never fits our calendar.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The half points Marquis NY was a nice touch, though unsurprisingly I couldn't make it. I enjoyed this flash-sale promo when IHG did it and will certainly keep my eye on the site. Like erc I'll be happy if it works out for me once every 10-15 weeks...

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

So today's Flashperk was interesting... 30% off Ko Olina Beach Club, advanced purchase required.  What a great deal!

Apparently, this offer was targeted at non-elites, as the current Elite Offer at this property is 40% off...

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

erc  I really like the Renaissance in Chicago but I won't be able to get out there in the next 2 months. Otherwise I would have definitely scooped up a room!

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I think that's the issue with a lot of the Flashperks promos.  A lot of them are for specific, short term dates or weird times so limited use.  The cynical would say (& have) that it creates buzz for Marriott for very little cost.  Given there are 3,600+ Marriott properties & only 10-15 Flashperks items per week (some of which are merchandise & not hotels), I'd be inclined to agree w/ the cynical thought process.  However, for those who can take advantage of them (and can't find a better deal on Marriott's website), they could be helpful.

Cheers.

erc Platinum

I lean your way, but what the heck, it seems better than Marriott Rewards - Plus Points

Rewards Members digging in for the scraps

some get lucky, many go hungry.

http://blog.londolozi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Vultures-5-300x200.jpg

erc Platinum

I hear ya. That Thursday night 8/28 for $195, whew, I could come close to that in Concierge Lounge value .

Especially if that $50 hotel credit for property services was worthwhile (although why do I think it's like the $10 F & B Credit, $50 off of a $200 massage !).

erc Platinum
    A FlashPerks Fable - with some facts mixed in with the fiction (see if you can find the fantasy )

Blessed with the good fortune of  having significant travel flexibility, I initially thought when FlashPerks was announced, "great, here's a chance for a possible good deal". In spite of that flexibility, I still went 0 for 10 in the initial weeks, twice being beaten to the punch in 60 seconds (but all's fair in deals) and a few weeks lamenting the fact that some of the deals were not necessarily deals. So I jumped on my computer and told a superstar member of the Marriott moderation team
    , who per usual, listened, appreciated my input, and passed my concerns along to The Greater Team.

The Greater Team, created for the purposes of making our dreams come true, dropped everything and immediately crafted an offer 
    perfectly suited to me. Brushing aside the hordes of competitors,
    , I snagged a half off points deal for the Boston Long Wharf. Now all was happy in erc land   The End (until I discover what they mean by  Offers are part of a special promotion and therefore are not eligible for Concierge/Club Level upgrades (fair enough); other (as in internet?) Marriott Rewards membership benefits, including but not limited to Elite member benefits (uh oh, there goes breakfast), may not  (pig in a poke, whee doggies) be available .