7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2014 9:57 AM by ssindc RSS

Tip the concierge?

nancynick Gold
Currently Being Moderated

If the concierge helps you book a tour, gives you a map/directions, or recommends a restaurant, are you expected to tip?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tip the concierge?
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

nancynick, I think that decision is totally up to you. I feel that if they are simply doing their job, (a simple phone call, or giving you a brochure, or some other small task then no. If however they pull some strings and get you a reservation at a booked restaurant, or get you tickets to a show/sporting event, or something special then sure you can tip based on the fact they went above and beyond and it made your stay better.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

nancynick,

Absolutely tip them!

Sometimes they won't take them, but they are saving many of us a lot of time and money!  Even better, take them a gift!

My preferred gift is an atlas of the US!  Concierges, like most people, are really fascinated with the size and scope of North America.  It really puts things in perspective.  My local State Farm agent gives them to me, and knows what I do with them.  I never travel without my maps of the US and Europe.  You never know when you will need them!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

You're cracking me up Jerry....I'm a map/Atlas guy, so I would smile if you handed me an atlas. My wife and kids just talk to their GPS's...so they would much rather have the cash..lol

Tipping, is a personal thing, but I also feel that folks that work hard, deserve a nice tip. I regularly tip the Concierge Lounge staff prior to checkout. If the folks sitting at the Concierge desk help with directions, reservations, show tickets, i also think a tip is in order. The amount can be up to the tipper.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Tipping can be a tough decIsion  its easy with people you interact with who are paid assuming tips but at some point do you tip every one that interacts with you. I agree it is a personal decision so I don't tip concierge unless they do something special.  As I said in an earlier post I was shocked to see a tip jar at my cleaners when I picked up my shirts

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PP,

Glad you support the fact that I am "Not Crazy"!

I just love maps and do not really know how to even work GPS's!

Nothing like a good map!

nancynick Gold

Thank you all for the responses. I think I agree with ks77. Simple directions or a map is their job. But reservations or tickets deserve a tip.

Thanks!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I can't speak for the masses, but my general rule of thumb is:

• if you ask for help (recommendations, reservations, tickets - anything that's time consuming) and they deliver, tip...
    • if they go above and beyond, tip well....
      • as a (predominantly) business traveler who is always trying to squeeze in high-impact tourism, my experience is that a good tip from (or a little effort by) a concierge can be priceless, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be rewarded handsomely...
    • generic questions - the kind of things you'd ask the front desk if there wasn't a line (have you got a map handy? which was is the river?  which was to the train station?) - no tip....

You might also want to follow these threads:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...