13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2014 2:24 PM by pluto77 RSS

MRI Blogs are Different!  Which one(s) do you like?

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hey Marriott Rewards Insiders.  I'm not sure the numerous blogs here on MRI are getting the attention they deserve.  They really are a hidden gem (literally) here on MRI, providing a ton of info that is the heart of this Marriott social network.  Unfortunately, they're just hard to find, hence the "hidden" gem reference.

This can help you:  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/63963#63963  Which is a link to a post about how to find them.

However, it's possible that some people think blogs are just people bloviating about their opinions, and while that is sometimes true, the ones here on MRI are more focused on Marriott, almost always full of helpful and creative content.

painedplatinum (not ERC as I originally posted) has built a list of them here: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/102385#102385  Take a look and let us know which ones you like- either the blog itself, or just individual posts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MRI Blogs are Different!  Which one(s) do you like?
    erc Platinum

Actually that herculean task was crafted by our own painedplatinum, but most all of us agree with your assessment. We've tried for months to get blogs (jakeal spearheaded the move) posted as threads, but it fell in between the cracks when we lost our NathalieF  and we were placed in the hands of The Greater Team.

Best wishes for an effective outcome.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

Thanks.  I'll edit if I can!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Now that you mention this so called NathalieF, who is it, where are they and why don't they come out of hiding and introduce themselves to us Insiders.  Then this person can address the blog issue.

erc Platinum

the-wonderful-wizard-of-oz-2

Community Manager (a high paying job, I hear)

tomd68  (keepin' the thread alive )

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Tom and others,

A word from the past and the "old world".

I found your observations about "blogs"  and the "community manager both perceptive and timely. I should declare an interest before I go any further: I have a blog here, though rarely add to it these days. The decline of blogs seems to me to be symptomatic of the malaise that has overcome the entire Insider site.

I started my blog on the suggestion of Andy, after a serious conversation about the purpose it might serve. My interest in Insiders lay not at all in complaints, moans and wingeing - the great majority of which were born of misplaced expectations, and should have been directed immediately to " Customer Services"; and only rarely in rooms, restaurants and other particular aspects of the world of Marriott. My fascination was with travel per se, and the historical, cultural and geo-economic context in which it most often took place. I started from the position that, without knowing a little about this context, travellers could never fully appreciate the worlds into which they were venturing.

Andy and I agreed that it was a question of balance, that the sort off stuff I enjoyed writing - long, rambling, often episodic pieces on, for example, A Sense of hisSpain and Asian Cities could provide a useful background to the more immediate, time and place-specific, pieces in which other Insiders recounted in words and images their particular experiences.

Put the two together, we agreed, and you could develop a genuine insight into the world of travel. It is this balance that - for me - that the site has sadly lost.

All best wishes,

Arkwright

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

True enough.  I like travel, talking about travel, reading and writing about travel, and so forth, so the stories that are contained in these blogs are very interesting to me.  Others though might be more interested in the quick bulletized comments vice the story format that bloggers often use.  This is probably partially why they aren't getting read, but I tend to think they'd get at least few more hits were they easier to find here on MRI.  Check this out:

http://marieleslie.com/four-reasons-people-arent-reading-your-blog/

Four Reasons People Aren't Reading Your Blog

In short:  

1.  Your Readers Can’t Find Your Blog

2.  Your Grammar and Spelling Are so Bad That it Hurts Our Brains

3.  Your Layout Is Hard to Read

4.  Your Posts Aren’t Relevant

Layout and posts aren't the issue on here, and the grammar doesn't seem to be a big problem with the bloggers, so I'm gonna squarely lay the blame on MRI and how buried the blogs seem to be.  Sure, you can find them if you know where to look, but only if.

To answer my own question, I think I like Pluto77's blog LoFlo's Random Ramble the best.  It's definitely focused on travel stuff, and she likes to post pictures.  However, MadMax's posts, while not exclusively travel/Marriott related, are fun and entertaining.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Tom,

I'm sure you're right.

Well said.

A

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Thank you for your kind words, Tom.

When I first started posting travel blogs/stories on this site, I posted a number of them under "destinations," because I too noticed that blogs didn't get any exposure on the home page (recent content list).  But since my blogs tend to include details that are more personal in nature (beyond useful information), I have settled on posting them in my own blog section, just figuring that at least anyone who follows me will be alerted (at least I think they are) and they can read if they choose to, or not.

I do it as much for myself as for anyone else.  If nothing else, it helps me to remember what I did, and when!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

tomd68,

Thanks for taking the time to highlight Insider's Blogs.  There are definitely some great blogs out there that don't get the attention they deserve.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Part of the reason I almost always post my comments under Discussion: Other Topics is because I can't find what I want or do what I think I want under blogs or other places on the site.  This is not just true of the blog sites but also the photo albums -- I never see them unless they end up in the list under Activity.

Plus I suspect I am just too old to do a formal or informal version of travel editorials.  I was at one time asked to do one, but then considering how much time it would take, I decided not.  I thank all of you who have done so, even though like many others I don't usually see them.

ProfChiara

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

I marked this topic as a question, but there's really no right answer. I was just trying to keep erc's beachball in the air (and maybe support my literary vanity by having someone actually read my blog post.)  I suppose a better question would be "Do you read the blogs on MRI and if not, why not?"  Maybe I'll make up a new poll!  arkwright would love that!  Although it might get me summarily banned to the edges of the Internet where one is unfollowed and ignored. 

profchiara, you're never too old to write.   

Once you're done reading this comment, please immediately fill out a survey and let me know how I could have made your reading of it a better experience. /Sarc/

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I enjoy blogs that open my eyes to a place or a Marriott property I might not thought of visiting. jakeal has done this a couple times in his blog. This is how I discovered the Dearborn Inn.

I love reading about (and seeing) the places others travel. I want to see at least a mention of which Marriotts are nearby and get the Insider perspective on great hotels.

I don't expect every blog entry to encourage me to visit a place, but a few have had me eager to pack my bags. We may not all share the same interests, but travel unites us. It's fun to read about an experience and think "I want to do that too." Having a little info on the where and how really helps. I'm pleased to say, many of our bloggers do this well.