8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2014 11:26 AM by KatieC RSS

Certificate Visa free night category 1-4 hotels

ratna Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Is there any logic behind deciding which category certificate one would receive, where as I applied for the Marriott reward Visa Credit card and got a Certificate for 1-4 category hotels, two of my friends got certificate for 1-5 category hotel and they did not even apply for the credit card.

I am confused how is this possible

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Certificate Visa free night category 1-4 hotels
    bjcilley Platinum 5 Reviews

I just received my 'anniversary' reward of 1 free night at cat 1-5 hotels.   Frustrating because the two places I would have used it were category 6 & 8.  As it stands, it will probably go unused as it cannot be transferred.  A somewhat worthless benefit.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

When you first sign up for the card, you get a cat 1-4 certificate. Each year after that it will be a cat 1-5 on the anniversary of when you got the card when you'll also pay the annual fee. Try to think of this fee as the cost of the "free" night and it isn't so bad (then go out and find the most expensive category 4 or 5 property you can and stay for one night ).

As far as the cat 1-5 certificates your friends received, those were likely part of the MegaBonus promotion earlier this year and have nothing to do with the Marriott Rewards Visa.

KatieC Member

ratna, bjcilley and bejacob - We're looking into this for you. Stay tuned!

ratna Platinum

bjcilley and bejacob

I just checked with both my friends and they did were sure that they had not enrolled to any promotion

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Usually enrollment is automatic, so it's possible they were enrolled and didn't realize it. What's worse is wanting to participate and not being enrolled. That has happened too often lately.

KatieC Member

Ok, it looks like @Bejacobs has it right in his first comment. We would need to check each individual account though to know the details of your situations. @Bejacobs' comment about getting the cat. 1-4 for signing up and then getting cat. 1-5 for anniversaries is true for the "Premier" card. If you want us to look into your specific issue please send me a direct message with your info. Hope this is helpful!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...