29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2014 8:03 AM by iahflyr RSS

Not Available For Check-In

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This question has been asked on MI previously however; I do not believe it has ever been answered so here goes yet again.

When looking at some properties all the way out to the farthest booking dates I find "Not available for check-in" showing up. Here is what I found today when looking at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Lahaina and Napili Towers.

• June 2015
31Not Availablefor Check-in1Not Availablefor Check-in2Not Availablefor Check-in3Not Availablefor Check-in4Not Availablefor Check-in5Not Availablefor Check-in6Not Availablefor Check-in
7Not Availablefor Check-in8Not Availablefor Check-in9Not Availablefor Check-in10Not Availablefor Check-in11Not Availablefor Check-in12Not Availablefor Check-in13Not Availablefor Check-in
14Not Availablefor Check-in15Not Availablefor Check-in16Not Availablefor Check-in17Not Availablefor Check-in18Not Availablefor Check-in19Not Availablefor Check-in20Not Availablefor Check-in
21Not Availablefor Check-in22Rates not available23Rates not available24Rates not available25Rates not available26Rates not available27Rates not available
28Rates not available29Rates not available30Rates not available1Rates not available2Rates not available3Rates not available4Rates not available
  • Check-in Date
  • Lowest Price
  • Rates not available

I did not check using points so that is not the reason.  This type of thing is from mid December 2014 through June 21, 2015, where it shows nothing available.  This MVC is a great spot however; no way possible it is already booked to capacity.

Here's hoping jmart, The specified item was not found., merb and/or KatieC can finally answer why we cannot book rooms.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Lahaina - Maui, Hawaii, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers
  • Re: Not Available For Check-In
    erc Platinum

Well pal you know me,     stirring the pot  . I called the Plat line and asked for a reservation anytime in 2015 and they looked and said, "wow, that can't be, they can't be booked the entire year, I'll call them". A few minutes later, they got back on the phone and said, "they tell me (with emphasis on the "they tell me" as in plausible deniability) that they are booked thru the year with members filling up the rooms".

So either Timeshare thinks we're all wearing our stupid clothes or they are having one heck of a year (yet they haven't sold out this year!).  Once again, bpelican  discovered the truth when the rookie front desk person told him, that Vacation Club saves rooms for higher price renters.

Let's see what the social media team find out, but I think we have again entered the wild west, no holds barred, props interpret policy as they see fit arena.  Good luck

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We are both good at stirring that ole pot alright!!

I'm hoping the social media team AND the "Greater Team" will come up with an answer this time.  No, not holding my breathe as I'm already blue from the last time this was raised.

I've still got the GM name (most likely changed) from our last visit so I might just have to ring his email drawer or better yet do what my pal erc does and call him.  Gotta get out there and see the kids kharada46 one day.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

IAHFLYR, that you do!  But I'm not on Maui

I've experienced the same issue as you, though I've never booked a MVC property.  They seem to only release space as the travel date gets closer. 12 months out almost never has a thing available

I know you don't live on Maui, but you know how to swim right? LOL   When/if/however we get to HI a stop in HNL to say hi is a must.

It's a must IAHFLYR

We'll have to plan something, though we'll make sure to avoid erc's friends... the Santas in the speedos

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've found that many vacation properties are like this.  I've had some success with a few of them but honestly it's almost not worth trying much anymore with some of them.  You would think that Marriott would catch a clue that the savvy business traveler is going to look to use points at those properties instead of "ye ole standard TPS in bumsville nowhere".  Perhaps they need to revamp how points are used at some of these places.  Honestly I use my points all over the place, random nights here or there happen frequently because I have the points to burn BUT the bulk "purchase" use of points is for vacations with the family.  I could/would change my random nights here and there if needed but family vacations are why we do this really.  If/when I find I cannot get a reservation in one of the top 3 places where we are trying to book vacation, that will be the time I really rethink "why am I doing this".   I really hope things don't continue down the bad hole we seem to be circling.

Sort of like the swirl of a toilet.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Out of curiosity, I did a search at the same property. Nothing in 2015 is showing as available for check-in. Rates show up until right around the end of December and then ... nothing.

Amazing that the place could truly be booked solid beginning December 29, 2014 all the way thru June (and beyond). More likely that the world is going to end before the beginning of 2015 and they don't want to cancel reservations for any irate MR members who somehow manage to survive.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

For what its worth, I am a MVC Points owner and I checked the Maui Ocean Club property for check in availability for January 2015 and the calendar stated that my chosen date ( I used a couple of different dates) was not available for check in.  I noticed that the points calendar was still listing points needed for various time frames in 2013/2014 and was not updated for 2015.  In my case, this may be due to the fact that my yearly points do not accrue until December 1st each year.  Though I have never noticed this in the past.  MVC Points owners have the ability to borrow points from future years, therefore there would not be a reason to block an updated calendar.  Generally, according to the charts, January is a good time to book because fewer MVC Points are needed due to low demand.  I wonder if there is not some type of computer glitch or other problem.  The high value points owners (I am not one) have the ability to book up to 13 months out.  I have to agree with bejacob that it is highly unlikely that the property is booked solid, especially for January.  Also, according to the points chart for both the Maui Ocean Club and Ko Olina it requires fewer points for stays on Sunday nights through Thursday nights.  This may also be in play for Marriott points or cash?

KatieC Member

All - Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

The Vacation Club works differently than other Marriott properties. There are timeshare "owners,"  and they get first dibs on travel dates. Owners typically finalize their plans by December of the previous year so, if you check back in mid-January, you should see availability. You can also call the Vacation Club reservations team with questions: (800) 845-5279. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

erc Platinum

KatieC provides another insightful answer , again highlighting the value of the social media team tracking down explanations for us.

In essence, policies (book reservations eleven months in advance) are policies until they are not. Believe it or not, I don't have a problem with this, it's just the way the travel world is these days and it's better to know going in.

The Autograph IAH discussed in November in the More Like This column "was a new property, still loading dates".
      The New Orleans properties that joshm researched that hadn't loaded dates, "was a computer glitch".
      The Fairfield Inns in New York that use $999 default rates, well, that's just "New York".
      Vacation Clubs are different animals - allowing owners, additional months in advance (in spite of the number of posts highlighting the difficulty of owners trading, getting the properties they desire)

etc etc etc (or as Roseanne Roseannadanna would say, "it's always something" )

Like I wrote about the e-folio and points posting delays earlier this month;IMO, this is the new normal, which, oh well, it is what it is (and of course, there are always more important things in life to concern ourselves about anyway).

The takeaway Insiders - nothing should surprise us. If we rest comfortably in the 'security' of previous policies and guidelines shame on us, we've been warned. Keep sharing observations (thanks IAH), because with the help of the social media team's excellent legwork, at least we get insights into the trending (don't hold out for actual directional change - we don't have the leverage).

KatieC Member

roseanne.jpg

erc Platinum

KatieC

Oh my goodness, you win Lifetime status for that post!  You've got spunk, but be careful, you don't want to end up like IAH or me, we're bad influences (you need to run with vaboywnder or ssindc)

Angel, "LAWRENCE!!!, you know

erc and IAH                                             vaboy and ssindc

See kharada46 if you weren't so busy sucking down those Hiroshi's Eurasian Tapas, you'd look up these 70's references out of respect for your nap taking, beer and wine guzzling elders. .

Keep on keepin' on Insiders, as Michael Stipe** likes to say, Loyalty Programs  "it's the end of the world as we know it....and I feel fine.

**I always like to draw in that world renowned musicologist and Georgian professor foxglove

LOL......another fine example of going through life "fat dumb and stupid"!!!  

We can also add "carpenter" to the foxglove list of accomplishments after the remodel of the household kitchen. Colorful Cartoon of a Carpenter Headed To Work with His Tools ...

erc Platinum

As a public service announcement (and because I know The Island King won't get the reference), I add the following;

Classic Movie Line #4 - YouTube

I don't want an unnamed law enforcement finance guy getting vengeful and messing with my bank account!

I failed miserably, should have thought of the Island King and done the right thing as you did by putting up the link.  I hope he is paying us for his education on "geezer hood"!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Appliances were delivered Monday. Counters arrived yesterday. Trim-out's begun. "Down the stretch they come." Me so ready.   Before and afters soon.

Good to hear foxglove.  We got rid of the worker B's last Thursday, shower glass goes in tomorrow afternoon and house cleaning gal comes tomorrow as well.....I've not seen so much dust since the last rodeo in town.  Then we get to start all over again upstairs bathroom later this month. $$$

We'd check-in to a hotel, but it's probably "not available for check-in"!!!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

erc Always at the beck and call of REM. "Looking at your watch a third time, waiting for the counter installers to show. Knowing that you're stuck at home for the 4-hour slot with nowhere else to go." My apologies to Mills and Michael.

erc, come on... not slurping down tapas... now it's noodles!  Haven't you been reading the blog? 

Coming up soon...

saimin.JPG

All for the Insiders

And really?  Island King?!     Well, the Island King says you and IAHFLYR have to hold court in Honolulu to collect your geezer speak tuition monies!  

Like I wrote, send the ticket and I'll come off the golf course and reluctantly drive to the airport.

IAHFLYR, sorry!  You must pay your own way to collect your fee   Mai Tai's at the JW Ihilani (or my favorite Mango Mojito at Aulani) is better than any Mai Tai in the air after all

LOL, mai tai in the air was free and yes it was using miles so no cash left my wallet on that trip.  A mojito made with vodka, rum isn't on my prescribed list.

That is true IAHFLYR.  Free is always good!  MaiTai's have rum in them don't they?  Either way, your Rx list shouldn't be limited    And don't forget to sample local specialties like Absinthe   Wonder if jerrycoin has sampled that on his many trips to Paris?

Yep rum, now you know why it's not on my Rx list anymore!!

KatieC,

Thanks so much for your research and explanation, I will certainly give the December time frame a look.

KatieC Member

You are most welcome, IAHFLYR. I think mid-January might be a better time to check, based on their feedback.

Only problem then becomes getting the lower FF award rates as four months out they are normally all gone.

KatieC Member

I understand that is frustrating. Maybe check in December to see what you can find and give the Vacation Club reservations team a call?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...