23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2014 9:35 AM by ks77 RSS

Please Power Up The Device

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For those of us who are traveling this summer it looks like it will be wise to enter the security areas with your laptop, iPad, etc., powered up in order to save a bit of extra time.

Electronics to be scrutinized under new TSA measures - CNN.com 

Sure hope the Marriott IT folks don't travel too often, could be very trying for them!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Please Power Up The Device
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

IAHFLYR (and you naughty boy!), what I wonder is what if your battery dies and you don't have time to charge it (or you only thought you plugged it in, but in the morning, the plug is - oops, half hanging out of the socket and uh oh, no charge, and oh ya, you're running late.  Bye bye cell phone?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

That's what it sounds like pluto77, so ya better hope your power converter is working properly as well if you're in Europe coming home.  And why am I naughty this time?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

With regards to the Marriott IT folks... you know where the chapel is...

LOL oh yes I do and now it's Mother Marriott's Chapel not the friendly FAA!!!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Seems to me if the device isn't charged they would let you plug it in.  Yes, adding time, but better than giving your device to TSA.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I've been wondering about that since Schiphol in particular makes you take out every cord you have.  So I guess they'll have to install some extra outlets.  (Either that or they'll have a racket selling used computers, tablets and cell phones.)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I just had a survey from the USA Today road warrior group about this.  I can say as of Jul 1 they were NOT doing this at London Heathrow but were requiring that you pull all tablets, laptops, etc from your bags into the bins for security. 

I will add though, that anyone that travels abroad (or heck its a great idea in all cases) one of these types of battery packs with them in their travel bag.  It's saved me more times than I can count, they are crazy cheap these days and if you were a Plat Prem this year, you should have gotten one for your gift from Marriott

At least this can charge most anything that can charge from USB enough to power your device at the checkpoint if it comes to it.

http://shop.mobilenations.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/15807/large/2.jpg

Great travel tip Zuk!  I'll have to go find one since the PP doesn't apply to me.

In all honesty the one from MR was nice but not nearly big enough to do much for my devices.  I got one that was a little over 10000mah in power from Amazon for under $40 that charges 2 devices at once, both 1A and 2A outputs and can charge the iphone 6x on a single charge of the battery.  Thing is great, weighs very little but does a fantastic job charging all my stuff, even the ipad and iphone at the same time

hi zukracer,

What is the specific battery charger you showed? I need one, especially since so many hotel rooms abroad have about only one useable outlet. Thanks, ProfC

Prof,

Why doesn't your phone hold a charge for a longer period of time?  My Motorola Driod would hold a charge for 3-4 days if I left it on and didn't use it too much for texting or pictures.  I've just got a new Samsung S5 that I love and it is holding charges real well also.

We will be going through FRA, BLQ, MUC and YYZ in coming months so can't wait to see what they'll do with the device issue.

Hi IAHFLYR,

I have no idea, especially since I have wifi turned off and only use what is necessary for checking email and weather most of the time.  It's also new -- I got it a month and a half ago.  They told me at USCellular (of my previous LG as well) that none of them held charges very long).  I don't know if we get bad lots in Maine or what .

Also, it occurred to me if you have zukracer's battery charger, isn't that going to be yet another thing that has to be inspected?  Surely if nasty people are going to put something into computers or phones they might be able to do so with chargers.

Prof,

Take it back and make them give you a phone that has a longer battery life.  It's bull that a phone that new won't hold a charge.

PS -- I never text (I can't because of my hands), so I am using phones for basic service.  My cheap Mobal British phone by contrast which had a few things you could do on it, though nothing like the S4, held the charge the whole time I was in Greece.

That one was just a random picture from the ole interweb.  I have/use one called the RAVpower portable charger element 10400mAh power bank from Amazon.  It does not have a flashlight on it but works great.  Looks like currently selling for about $29USD. There's a few others out there with a flashlight built in, the trick is to find one that has a good mAh level and enough outlets to power what you need.  The RAVpower one has a 1A and 2A output so I can charge two things at once.

Didn't take too long for domestic travel to be hit, who'd a thunk it!

Powering Up Devices At Airport Security Within The US | LoyaltyLobby

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Dumb... as George Carlin said "The whole this is ******* pointless" The fact they can power on/off means absoultely nothing in regards to a devices ability to cause harm.

Exactly, ks.  But then as everyone knows on this subject, don't get me started...

SSSHHHHH, don't tell the Homeland Security dude or dudette whoever it is these days.  Remember it is our government and they usually promote the useless.

HI all,

I want to reply to Jerry Coin's email (I thank him greatly for the free publicity!), but I need to dig out (or try to) some non-digital photos of one of the people whom I think has made a great impact on me and the world (alas for all of you, the person will be medieval).  I'll also try to attach some Joan of Arc photos, since I literally followed in her footsteps (or in her case horse-steps to research the book). Those are digital so easier to find, though I was annoyed that Yale did not insert my photos in the kindle version.  OH well.

Anyway, back to this subject.  I bought a MacAir 13" and love it.  I haven't used it extensively yet, but went down to Portland today (the nearest Apple Store and the only one in Maine) toting it and my Colby Mac Probook 13" and they managed to transfer all of the data, applications, etc. in about an hour -- and I tested it while there since I don't have wifi in my apartment).  They were great, the integration was seamless, and I have what I could never have had on my Lenovo tablet which failed me in Greece.

So unless things go radically wrong on my last trip of the summer (Sorrento based Aug 27-Sept 1) and in the fall, where I will use it in my office and keep my Colby email at home since it's ethernet and hence more secure, I highly recommend the MacAir.  And it is a lot lighter since I was carrying both at the same time.  I'm a big fan of Apple computers, and while I have an IPOD I have never had an IPAD or IPHONE.  Part of that is that I don't like tablets because of my arthritic hands and thumbs and part because IPHONE coverage in Maine is not good when you get north of Portland.  Besides I love my Samsung Galaxy S4.  All the phone I need...(I rarely get or receive calls )

Just switched over the Galaxy S5 when my Motorola Droid decided it was done working, I love the S5 as it's nice large display works very good with "geezer eyes" and it's very very fast. Hardly need to drag a laptop around now except for Mrs. IAH and her need for work stuff.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

IAHFLYR, I have the S5 too and I love it!

US Cellular basically told me that the extra money probably wouldn't be worth it for me (they're right -- I can't physically text and I rarely call anyone or get calls ).  I mostly use it for emails on buses to the airport and on the US side of the Atlantic in an airport.  (US Cellular doesn't have int'l service, so I have a British pay-as-you-go Mobal phone for abroad.)

PS  I am still trying to find my old CD photos.  I haven't forgotten Jerry's great thread.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...