8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2014 2:41 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Singapore..Let's Hear It

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Old Pained may be spending a few weeks Oct/Nov in Singapore. I won't be able to pick my accommodations, but I see a very nice Marriott over there so we'll see if I get lucky.

I'm sending out a heads up for info...put those traveling thinking caps on Insiders...I'll need your help if this confirms.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Singapore, Singapore Marriott Hotels & Resorts Singapore Marriott Hotel
Singapore, Singapore The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore
  • Re: Singapore..Let's Hear It
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hey, painedplatinum, I saw you found my Singapore data dump (elsewhere), but I should also mention that, while I was there, I needed a hair cut....  The locals all agreed I need to go to this place:  Next Hair Salon - Singapore and Shanghai, which was not far from where we were working....  WHAT A SHOW!!!! (It's worth surfing their web site - click on SHOPS, then choose the ION location, that's where I went - click thru the photo gallery - the models on the wall were all sporting hair styles I was considering - NOT....)  High fashion, trendy music, beautiful people, the very latest in salon chic ... and ... uh ... me ... the boring, geezer, westerner with the rapidly advancing bald spot and oh-so-conventional (but low maintenance) short hair... Still, it was QUITE an experience (and they pretended like cutting my hair was worth their time and effort - and they displayed excellent discipline tamping down their hysterical laughter until I left the place)....  Next time I'm in Singapore, I'm going back!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

This Singapore assignment may switch to Western Australia..Perth in particular. I haven't read a lot about Perth on here, but I'm on the lookout.

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

Spent quite a bit of time there- multiple port visits while in the Navy.  Enjoyed Sentosa Island, Bugis Street Night Market, the Night Safari (lots to do at night- a bit hot and humid during the day), Clarke Quay for some great pubs, riverside dining and good seafood, Newton Circus for the largest lobster and prawns I've ever seen (and cheaper than Clarke Quay), historic Raffles Hotel for a nasty Singapore sling, (but you have to get that check in the block (too sweet for me),) and that's about it.  Almost forgot- Morton's Steak House there was my best dinner ever.

Clark Quay Night.jpgKing Prawns.jpg

Location Brand Hotel
    Singapore, Singapore Marriott Hotels & Resorts Singapore Marriott Hotel
    Singapore, Singapore The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore

tomd68,

Thanks tom!   That's a wonderful list to use as a base. Great pictures, too!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

PP,

I think I've previously written about S'pore, so here I'll focus on Perth WA, a city in which I've spent a fair amount of time.

Start by noting three things about Perth:

1. It is one of the most geographically isolated cities on earth;

2. It is a very "clean" - in the environmental sense - city;

3. In recent years it has become a boom city (courtesy in the main of the mineral wealth in the northern area of WA), with all the implications for style and cost of living that this entails.

The city itself has few exceptional features. Eating and drinking facilities abound, and it has a fine cricket ground - legacy of its colonial past. But perhaps cricket is not your "thing".

It is what lies beyond the city centre that is more interesting. The suburb of Freemantle, once a thriving port, site of Australia's first defence of the America's Cup, and now a very upbeat sporting and leisure centre, is within easy public transport reach. Near at hand is Cottesloe Beach, where all manner of energetic pastimes can be engaged in, or watched! To the Northwest of the  city you can find a small, touchingly simple, chapel  on the banks of the Swan River, constructed by Captain James Stirling in the 1830s, to provide Christian burial facilities for the earliest settlers. Further out - say a couple of hours by car - is the Margaret River area, one of Australia's best wine growing locations. And further still (about 5 hours drive) and right on the southernmost tip of WA, is Albany, once a whaling station, now a thriving township of 30,000 which gives access to some of the most impressive, empty and daunting beaches I've visited. Hear the breakers crashing down; look out to a vast expanse of empty ocean; and it is hard not to feel in the presence of something almost elemental. And that is without a glass to hand!

Give yourself enough time and you'll enjoy yourself.

Arkwright

arkwright,

If my trip comes through, I'll have about a month in Perth. I'll be working Tues-Fri...so that will leave Sat-Mon for exploring. Your write up is splendid! Thanks for taking the time and sharing.

Chrisf,

Here's the post..funny, but when I tried the @chrisf.....the link isn't working.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...