16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2014 11:59 PM by caseyc RSS

Paris - does location matter?

PaulJordan Silver
Currently Being Moderated

We're coming to Paris this weekend and can stay in either the Vendome in arr 1, or the Marriott Rive Gauche in arr 14.

either way, it's only 3 days (full days)..

taking all into consideration, transportation (incl to/from CDG), nightlife, cafes & restaurants (without getting totally ripped off), and ease of getting to the major tourist attractions, does either hotel  location outshine the other??

Thank you in advance...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
  • Re: Paris - does location matter?
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I have not stayed at either of those properties BUT I would say that location does matter for sure. Both properties seem to have fairly good reviews out there but I would suggest looking for the one closest to the attractions you consider key to visit.  The Vendome has a great location, very close to many of the main tourist places and certainly plenty of places to eat, drink, relax.  It is however sorta right slam in the middle of the tourist/high end area so prices for things could be slightly higher.  The Rive Gauche is on the other side of the river, closer to other sights but still easy enough to walk over or catch a train/subway to other places and there's plenty of sight seeing things in that part of the city.

At the end of the day, having based my trips from the Champs Elysees, I can tell you after a full day of walking/sight seeing it was nice to be right in the heart of it all.  We enjoyed being able to "be home" but yet still able to experience different things over and over again within a 5min walk.  For us taking a walk through the parks and larger tree lined sections between the Champs Marriott and the Louvre after dinner made the trip seem that much more enjoyable.

I think you'd be happy with either because at the end of the day its Paris after all

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

PaulJordan Silver

There is another Marriott on the Champs..  I think it too is available.

Since this is all done with points, any can be booked...

If I read correctly, you would choose the Vendome over Rive Gauche?

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I and many others have had great experiences at the Champs Marriott so I'm jaded by those experiences.   That said, I dont know what you want to see/do while in Paris.  The Champs or Vendome are both really right in the heart of things, very nice shopping, easy walks to most anywhere.  The Vendome is essentially right by the Lourve, the gardens and a bunch of other places. You really cannot go wrong with that area but again not sure what stuff you want to see/do while there. 

PaulJordan Silver

I was really more curious about the Rive Gauche Marriott.

we only have 3 days, so, the Lourve, Notre Dame, Musee de Orsay, Picasso, Rodin,, Eiffel

and some general walking around

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PaulJordan,

Go for C-E Marriott first, if you can get in, you are lucky!

Then Ren. Vendome, they are walkable from each other, but the atmosphere of the C-E is awesome!

Make sure you review precious posts, on the subject!

Location Brand Hotel
        Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
      PaulJordan Silver

we switched to the Champs... thank you ALL for your input.

AND   Monday is Bastille Day !!!

PaulJordan Silver

You guys are all great....  Thank you... 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Paul,

Great move!

It is a wonderful location, and do yourself a favor!  Request a room you will like (Whatever that is), prior to your arrival!

If you need transportation, let them help you.  The Concierge is wonderful!

You will save a lot of time and money taking the nearby on/off bus!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I will be attending a BBQ for Bastille Day on Sunday (here in the U.S.), with my French group, the local Alliance Française chapter.  The BBQ part is strictly an American appellation (the French do not BBQ on Bastille Day.)  They do blow up fireworks on the night of the 13th and 14th, and attend balls (dances).  They do not wish one another Happy Bastille Day (so if you do so, they will just look at you funny).  I am American however, and here we wish each other Happy Everything.  So in that spirit, Bonne Fête (Bon le Quatorze Juillet)!!

And enjoy Paris!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I have stayed at Rive Gauche and been inside of Ren Vendome (not the rooms, just the lobby).  They say that the rooms are small, but they're also small at Rive Gauche.  Even though Vendome is right in the heart of everything, it's still on a quiet street (and you can request a quiet room).  So it sort of depends on where you want to spend your time.

Ren Vendome (heart of everything) provides easiest access to:

Place Vendome

Madeleine

Opera

Place de la Concorde

Champs Elysees

Arc de Triomphe

Jardin Tuileries

Louvre

Hotel de Ville (3rd/4th arr.)

Place de la Republique

Place de la Bastille

Place des Vosges

Where as Rive Gauche (quietish, left bank neighborhood) offers easy access to all of the left bank offerings and Trocadero:

Tour Eiffel

Champ de Mars

Ecole Militaire

Jardin et Palais Luxembourg

Odeon

Saint-Sulpice

San Germain des-Pres

Place Saint-Michel

La Sorbonne

Pantheon

Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle

It's about the same to basilique Sacre Coeur, in terms of requiring a metro line transfer.  But to be sure, everything is accessible by metro, just some things are closer than others or don't require a line change, depending on your location, as indicated above.

The best way to enjoy Paris is on foot, only using the metro when necessary.  If this were my first visit or I hadn't been in a long time, I would pick the Ren. Vendome property, personally and only given the two choices  (if any choice, I'd go back to the Champs Elysees again and again.  Superb property.)

As far as to/from CDG, depends on how you want to travel.  If using the AF bus, it's the same effort (the bus drops off at either Arc de Triomphe or Gare Montparnasse.  If using the metro/RER from Roissy, probably Rive Gauche, since it's a straight shot on the RER B (blue) line to/from Denfert Rochereau, where as for Vendome, you'll have to transfer to the yellow metro line 1 (towards La Defense) at Chatelet (from the RER B (blue) line), but only one stop away (Louvre/Rivoli), so again to me the differences are minor.  Taxi is probably close to the same price for either location because either way, it takes time to drive out of the very congested city center to the highway, 65-70€.

Let us know if you have any other questions.  Bon vacances!

Message was edited by: pluto77

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Good choice at CE but another great hotel is the Ren at the Arc which is quieter than the CE but still Great location I have stayed at both of these hotels

twunderli Member 4 Reviews

Not really, if you have a good Metro connection, you can go anywhere.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I think you're a little confused by Marriotts reckoning of the most central Marriott hotels that put the Rive Gauche wayyy further up the list than it should be, the centre of Paris, Louvre, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe and Trocadero are all somewhat westerly of the literal centre of Paris. The website seems to have use a pin-the-centre approach,which artificially promotes the Rive Gauche and makes it look like a great bargain at €100/€150/night against the supposedly more distant Champs Élysées at €500/€600/night.

For a once in a decade 3 nights in Paris crossing the Atlantic to do so, I'd definitely recommend the more truly central locations, Champs Élysées, Vendome, Arc de Triomphe over the much more distant Rive Gauche. However there's no denying that the Rive Gauche is a bargain against all the others and if you're familiar with Paris, both walking and Metro I'd save the fortune and stay at the Rive Gauche which is perfectly acceptable and has a rather good exec lounge.

Paris is certainly a place to burn points, the Champs Élysées Marriott is frequently in the €600+ per night region ($800) and hence represents good value at 45k points per night. If staying 5 nights it works out at over 2UScents per point, great value!

ninabrackeen Platinum 23 Reviews

Ive stayed at Rive Gauche 3 times and I love it. The neighborhood is quite and safe, and its close enough to anywhere. Metrio right up the street.  I highly recommend it and will stay again when I return to Paris.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

An excellent guide provided by pluto77! Have a fabulous trip, PaulJordan! Paris is such a beautiful city, your three days are sure to be amazing!

caseyc Silver

Have stayed at many of these locations, including one near Trocadero and one at Arc de Triomphe. Each has their own appeal. Vendome rooms are tiny, but location is good for walking, many nice restaurants are nearby and it has a boutique hotel feel. C-E has biggest rooms with best connections for metro. Although I've loved Rive Gauche for proximity to transit, and good overall price (& points exchange), there aren't many good restaurants nearby, so we either took the metro or taxi back to hotel - not ideal. There's a new one near the big department stores - I'll have to try it, too.. One at La Defense is mainly for business travelers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...