4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2014 2:14 PM by pluto77 RSS

Marriotts and volcanoes

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, guess what?  My recent volcanic activities made me alter slightly my trip to Rome at the end of August.  While I'm still flying to and from Rome, I decided to stay in Naples all except the last day.  I checked out the different hotels, and the Renaissance Mediterraneo seemed to have a great deal in a good location, plus transfers to Pompeii (it will be my fourth time there, but I also want to get to Herculaneum and Vesuvius itself).  Then I used points (I still had a few left) to use them for the last day of the trip in Rome at the Boscolo Exedra, which should be good for getting to the airport early the next morning.

Any ideas? I promise not to jump into Vesuvius since there's no water

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Naples, Italy Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo
  • Re: Marriotts and volcanoes
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

In a word:  Paestum.    Trenitalia, 1 hour, $9 each way (buy online in advance for the best pricing).  You just reminded me that there are so many places to see and only so much time (and money).  Sigh.  (I would love to return to Pompeii, too.)

I'm sure you plan to be busy doing work stuff, but Sorrento is such a lovely, lovely place... I would love to take another stroll through Amalfi, too.  Sit on the water and have lunch...

Check this out, ferries from Sorrento to Amalfi, 4 x daily, cheap, $7.  (First take the regional train from Naples to Sorrento, under an hour.)  I just remember scammers and pick pockets at the Naples train station though, but you are saavy and a force to be reckoned with, so I can't imagine it being any problem for you.

Bus, train, and ferry connections along the Amalfi Coast

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks so much for the great ideas, pluto!  I was in Sorrento as part of a tour many years ago, but it was really beautiful, and I think it's part of the Circumvesuviana Line.  As you might remember I had planned to go to Naples a few years back but backed out when I was thinking about the pickpocket/harassment situation.  I was there for a day last summer near the Castel Nuovo at the Archives and while I can't say Naples skyline or the entrance to the city is particularly appealing, I want to follow up on my research from Crete and Santorini.  (This part of the history of fear book is on natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes and fires in antiquity.)

Thanks for the idea of Paestum -- I just google-imaged it and it looks amazing.

Has anyone out there stayed at the Mediterraneo recently?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I agree, Paestum looks amazing.  The Vesuvius/Pompeii connection sounds perfect for your book (the book itself sounds exciting).  I haven't stayed in Naples.

One thing about Sorrento that I remember enjoying, was walking down a narrow lane, and there were tons of little stores selling Italian crafted goods (and good craftsmanship) including but in no way limited to clothing and leather items (shoes and bags), but without the designer prices.  Also the charming main Piazza, good restaurants, polite, friendly locals and oh my, limoncello everywhere!!!  Bottles of the stuff, along with cute pottery with lemons painted on it - limoncello heaven.  Also, plenty of gelato too.

PS -- I love being called 'a force to be reckoned with'!  Many thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...