18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2014 7:49 PM by aje5837 RSS

Fort Myers, FL (RSW) Car Rental....need recommendations

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We will be flying into RSW (Ft. Myers, FL) airport and are in need of a rental car.  We are looking for a car that will be inexpensive and for a car rental that is onsite at the airport or has a shuttle (hassle free).

Anyone have any good recommendations?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Fort Myers, Florida, USA
  • Re: Fort Myers, FL (RSW) Car Rental....need recommendations
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

aje5837,

I've never flown into that airport but here is a link from the airport website which shows which rental car agencies are onsite.

http://www.flylcpa.com/rentalcars/

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi aje5837,

I fly to RSW often and have always used Avis.  I know the rates are not cheap at times however; I just keep checking and re-booking when I find the rate has gone down the closer to my arrival date, it happens quite often. 

The car rental counters are across the driveway from baggage claim on the lower level of the terminal, and the cars are located behind the rental counters in the garage with most if not all companies vehicles on the ground floor.  Depending on when you're going and if you have any discount codes for say Hertz, Avis, National etc., you may find a pretty good rate on site.

If you like send me a direct message and I will see if I can find a few discount codes for you to try and see if you get a good rate.

erc Platinum

After you do the necessary legwork of researching the above excellent suggestions, take a look at hotwire.com.

I have often had success beating even discounted rates with hotwire for on terminal big player rentals.  The very best deals are of course pre-paids, so, as a big boy traveler, you'll have to make that call (remember, there's no, ok, little, crying in travel), but it's worth at least a look. Good luck and let us know about your stay in Ft. Myers, thanks.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

erc makes a great suggestion if your travel plans are set. Hotwire can offer really good deals if you don't mind pre-paying for your rental with a no cancellation policy.  After checking the Hotwire price you can usually head over to Priceline.Com and bid a little less and get even more savings.

Yes, erc hit the ole nail on the head.  Hotwire beats my best at Avis by $21 for a two day rental......YOU DA MAN!!

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Lots of good points!  Thank you!  I'm going to do a little research!

erc Platinum

Hey aje5837 how did you finally make out?  I'm heading to RSW in July (man, I thought I'd be the only knucklehead to go in July - wrong) and I'm still getting hammered on car rental rates. I think this is going to come down to the wire (Hotwire joke ) to see who blinks first, me or them! Thanks

Are you a calm person?

my rabble rousing pal, the rates will fall as I've written before about RSW.  Book your car now and play the "check back later game" and watch them tumble.  Remember my last trip down there a couple of weeks back, started out at $300 for a midsize and I ended up with a Mustang Convertible for a total cost around $100.

What brings you down to the Southwest Florida area anyway?  I just might have to plan a trip down there as well so we can chat over some waffles!!

erc Platinum

Sound advice Master Po. I'm holding at $377 for a full sized week and will root for the decline.

To answer to why I'm going, I'll quote George Mallory, "because it's there". I was given a free week timeshare (no vaboywnder I didn't get interrogated in a sales presentation, we've yet to pick out our lodging in Orlando early Dec. but if it's yours, I'll give them whatfor ) by a friend (we love those tax free barters ).

Saturday July 4th afternoon arrival (it's your hometown, show me where the best fireworks are) to Saturday July 11 morning departure. To quote you in a previous post just last week, "you don't have a hair....on your head" if you don't show. Bring 77paris, she made the mistake of expressing a borderline interest (that'll teach her ).

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

, ahhhh Fort Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Marco Island in July…..can't say that I love the temps, but you can't beat the sights, shells & scenes!  I did express a "borderline interest so I will watch as your plans unfold. I am planning a visit in January to Fort Myers & a short ferry trip to the Keys for a couple of days (never been there).

77paris,

Key West is great, I've never taken the Key West Express so please let us know how that three hour boat ride goes.  Make sure to have a brunch at Blue Heaven......great joint.

Do you and Mrs. erc have a nice area where the timeshare is located, I would imagine so?  I've got plenty of hair on my head so as time approaches I will space out the RSW trips and late June early July is a usual time to head across the Gulf.

erc Platinum

I'm hoping it's nice, what he got in return was superb business advice

Whereas, it's certainly not a Hawaiian type resort or JW level luxury, it appears it will do the trick just fine for our staging area for traveling about from there to Naples and beyond (especially with your localman expertise).

Fort Myers Beach,Condos,Time Share     Hope you can make it.

I remember Snug Harbor from back in the day, just not familiar with the particular condos.  That area is great right on the north end of the island.  You'll miss Stone Crab season by about six weeks (oh darn), but you'll have plenty of great seafood to consume regardless.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

What is the "check back later game"?  What site did you use?  Just curious

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

I did alright with the car rental.  I should have taken your advice and booked via hotwire.  It was a really great rate and I chickened out b/c I wouldn't get a refund if I had to cancel.  Just before the trip I went back to get the hotwire rate and realized it had gone up so much that I was better off going through a car rental company.  We ended up paying $100 more than hotwire was going to charge us to begin with and used Thrifty.  Next time I go I'd like to try hotwire.  Thanks for your advice...I'll take it next time! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...