6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2014 5:21 AM by kharada46 RSS

Rate Search Frustration

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In searching for hotel rates on Marriott.com domestically and internationally, I've noticed a frustrating trend... the rate displayed is "from $*** per night" which turns out to be really vague.  I've often noticed, for example, that it'll display "from $190 per night, when clicking "view rates" yields a rate of $250 for nearly all the nights except for 1 or 2 (of 6).  Competing chains don't this... which almost seems like a bate and switch.  Granted you aren't being conned into booking the rate, but it makes searching much more difficult & frustrating, seeing as the difference between the two rates can be quite significant.  If the rate must be varied from day to day, what should be displayed is the average daily rate. 

Then there's the issue that we've been discussing a little in the Aviation Geeks Unite thread... AAA rates, and others like it are often more expensive than the Standard Rates now days.  Even worst, Elite Rates are either the same as the Standard Rate or higher with no discernible benefit.  I'm not sure how everyone else feels about this, but to me, this further cheapens Elite membership. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rate Search Frustration
    erc Platinum

Welcome to the club, my dear island friend. You are just the man (with plenty of years of loyalty program travel ahead of you) to carry on the quixotic cause, it certainly worked out well for me. Your pal, Copernicus

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc

LOL!  There lies the big debate... is it worth it to carry on the quixotic cause?  Still weighing my options...  

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It does make planning a trip a bit harder. Add to that the fact that some rates aren't available on certain nights. I find this often with the government rate (which sometimes isn't the cheapest rate). In an area with multiple Marriott property choices it can be downright daunting to find the best rate given all the parameters.

I remember making a table of all the room choices and rate options for one hotel trying to figure out the best deal. It shouldn't be that hard.

bejacob,

A table?  That some serious analysis!  I agree, though... Something must really be done about this insanity.  It really shouldn't be so difficult. 

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

You're not alone, but some observations.

• In the era of e-booking, it pays to book early (with cancellation rights), then check periodically (frequently) and be willing to cancel and re-book (although in the reverse order - make your new reservation, and then cancel your existing reservation).  Granted, I find this irritating, but it saves me money, sometimes a lot of money.
    • If the AAA is not good, it's typically a capacity problem, an error (that will be corrected the next time you check), or the lowest rate you see is new and they haven't updated the AAA rate yet.  Every time I get frustrated with the Marriott-AAA rates, I find that - a couple of days later - the correct order of things has returned.
    • Our bottom line - and we see the same thing with AMTRAK - the AAA rate rarely saves you a lot - it's typically only 5-10 percent - but all of those little savings ad up over the course of a year (particularly if you car battery dies and you get a free charge too)...
    • Even after all these years, I'm stunned how frequently we get a AAA discount for something - I'm surprised more people don't use it.... [See the now-closed poll:  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1023

ssindc,

That's great advice!  I usually book as soon as I can and cancel if I see a lower rate appear, though that almost never happens whenever I do that.  As for AAA, I had membership, but never renewed it.  Been thinking about picking it up again, but we'll see!  I don't think I travel nearly enough for it to be worth it. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...