5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2014 10:22 PM by curiousone RSS

Route 66 drive

nextreserv Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I would like to drive along part of route 66 staying at interested places along the way in Marriott properties. Possible starting point would be somewhere in mid-west and ending in California. Any experiences or suggestion on which route is the best and which section of Route 66 for about 1000 miles of Route 66.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Route 66 drive
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

When are you planning to go? I may have additional insight later this year.

I drove a good stretch of the route in Arizona and New Mexico in May 2013 and will cover part of it in Oklahoma and Texas in August 2014. I've also been on parts in central Illinois (Pontiac) and near Chicago (Joliet).

As far as Marriott properties, I've stayed at a few that are not far from the route. I wasn't really following the route, so this happened mostly by chance. Perhaps others have more insight on this part of the topic.

I would highly recommend the section of Route 66 from Flagstaff, AZ to Needles, CA with a stop in Seligman, AZ (home of the first Route 66 association). Just watch out for the packs of motorcyclists.

Sounds like fun. I look forward to following this thread.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nextreserv Platinum

I am planning to do the Route 66 in 2015 summer.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'll take some notes on my upcoming trip. I'm not following the route exactly between Oklahoma City and Amarillo, but I will be on part of it.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

nextreserv,

That is a "Grand plan"!

Make sure you get some great books and maps for the historic trip.

I have driven most of the route and have a few recommendations:

Chicago to St. Louis, many interesting historic places, but one place I always stop is in Litchfield, Il (About 52 miles North of STL.

Ariston Cafe

413 N. Old Rte 66

217-324-2023

Great steakhouse, just off I-55.  This place is original and historic.  Wonderful food and friendly service.  I think they are closed on Monday's!

Rt. 66 Cafe

318 S. Old Rt. 66

217-324-0839

Even if you don't dine, you will want to drive on the old highway and see these kind of places.  Don't forget your camera for some wonderful photo's to post!

IMG_1824.JPG

There are also many "Historic 66" roads along the way, this one is actually Manchester Road, in STL!

Lebanon, Mo., also has historic sites and places to dine!

Madison Street Grill and Rt. 66 Country Cafe, are two favorites and are downtown Lebanon, just off of I-44!

There are many tourists from all over the World that take this trip.  You will meet many interesting people on the trip!

curiousone Platinum

If you stop in Flagstaff I would recommend either the Courtyard (no breakfast) or the Springhill Suites (Breakfast) both within a block of each other. If you are into beer, they have several local breweries. My wife and I enjoyed the Mother Road Brewery as it is smaller than some of the others. Fratellis pizza is just around the corner from Mother Road Brew. We always enjoy coffee and bagels at Biff's bagels. Just another block from Fratellis pizza.

Have a great trip!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...