5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2014 4:12 PM by profchiara RSS

Santorini: Prehistoric museum and Akrotiri

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Here are some pics from the amazing Museum of Prehistoric Thera (devoted to the Bronze Age - the nearby Archaeological Museum has later Greek and Roman pieces, after Santorini was past its heyday) and the Akrotiri, where most of them were found.  I was thrilled that the Akrotiri reopened after a long hiatus.  In the museum, I especially love the dancing monkey and lady frescoes.IMG_2506.jpgIMG_2500.jpgIMG_2450.jpgIMG_2452.jpgIMG_2453.jpgIMG_2457.jpgIMG_2462.jpgIMG_2536.jpgIMG_2520.jpgIMG_2522.jpgIMG_2521.jpgIMG_2524.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Santorini: Prehistoric museum and Akrotiri
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Looks like you are having a "Great time"!

The museum looks relaxing and informative.  This looks like the kind of area one could "Let the World pass you by"!

Again, thanks for sharing, and keep the info. and photo's coming!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Jerry,

It went so well with the Archaeological Museum I saw in Crete last month.  Fortunately I pack light and take things I can leave (like older purses, makeup, etc.), so I managed to buy three replica vases and one artist-painted fresco depicting one of the museum scenes and got it all in my 21" suitcase!

PS -- Greece is truly a place to get lost in the past while still enjoying the beautiful glories of the present.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

profchiara

It appears that you are in your element and enjoying yourself immensely based on your smile.  Museums that contain such well preserved artifacts are incredible and awesome places to visit.  Thanks so much for the post.

Thanks, gm1!  Yes, I am certainly in my element.  The lighting was not as good in the Prehistoric Thera museum as it was in the newly reopened Archaeological Museum in Crete that I visited last month, but when you see these things for real, knowing they're nearly 4000 years old, it's a sit down, take it in, awesome experience.  Then when you add that no one has ever deciphered Linear A, you realize these artifacts, frescoes and ruins are our only way of reconstructing Minoan Bronze Age history -- and it was one of the great civilizations of the ancient world.  Yet you look at the frescoes on both Crete and Santorini, and you see elegant women, playing animals, floral decorative schemes, and you have to realize what an incredibly sophisticated society it was.  I always tell my students that if they decipher Linear A they are set for life.  Now why can't Bill Gates do that?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...