16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2014 2:15 PM by iahflyr RSS

Santorini I: Sailing in the Volcano/Sunset

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Santorini was wonderful, especially having gone to Crete the month before.  During the ancient Minoan period (pre-2000-1400BC), Santorini was part of Crete's probable thalassocracy, though since Linear A has never been deciphered we can only piece parts of things together through the amazing archaeological remains (including stunning 'near' frescoes), pottery and scientific research based on seismic activity.  I met a vulcanologist [no relation to Leonard Nimoy] on this trip, which was a pleasant surprise.  Santorini (now called by the locals by its ancient name of Thera) was destroyed by a serious of earthquakes and massive volcano in the summer of 1626 BC -- amazing how closely they can date it.  The result was that the island's core was ripped apart and the main island of Santorini was left with a series of other smaller, less inhabited islands in an almost circular formation around the central, water-filled caldera.  The volcano is still active and most recently erupted in 1950.  The captain of the sailing ship from which I took the photos below told me that two years ago there were strong signs there might be a new eruption after a series of small earthquakes, but it didn't happen.  But it could any day...so all the more reason to spend time on what many people call the most beautiful island in the world.

So here's my first set of photos from the center of the volcano and the sunset by sea. We left from Ammudi port and sailed counterclockwise, went to Corfos Bay, Tripiti Cape, the center of the volcano itself, near Fire, the Rock of Skaros, Seal Cave, and Epta Pedes for a five hour sail.  It was a relatively new company and I got very lucky.  Most of the sailboats leave from Fira with as many as 50 people aboard.  While this boat's morning trip was full, it was only me and a Chinese couple for the afternoon/evening one.IMG_2560.jpgIMG_2564.jpgIMG_2572.jpgIMG_2600.jpgIMG_2609.jpgIMG_2614.jpgIMG_2627.jpgIMG_2634.jpgIMG_2639.jpgSant

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Santorini, Greece
  • Re: Santorini I: Sailing in the Volcano/Sunset
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

great pics Prof!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

KatieC Member

SO beautiful, profchiara! I went to Santorini on my honeymoon and we had a similar experience with only a few people on our boat. Stunning! Thank you for sharing.

Isn't it an amazing place, Katie?  It is also a reminder of how tenuous their existence is, even though the 1950 eruption didn't do much damage.  I'll post photos of Oia, the Akrotiri and the Museum of Prehistoric Thera later.

KatieC Member

Looking forward to seeing more! We had the best meals there, and we traveled in May, so it was quiet and we got to know many of the locals. Wonderful people!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Fabulous!!!

Hi again,

Even I was stunned at the sunset, since I have seen it from above.  But seeing it with the boats right there was beyond imagining.  I had no idea my camera could get it so well, though I took tons of photos just in case.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Had dinner with a Greek tonight that told me Santorini is really "Laid back", and Mykonos, is "A all night party"

What is the perspective from you?

Hi Jerry,

Yes, for the description of Santorini and partly for Mykonos.  If you stay or spend time in the Chora (main city) of Mykonos, it is an all night party.  That's not my scene and when I was there for a week a few years back I stayed on the south middle of the island on Elia Beach in one of the best hotels I have ever experienced.

erc Platinum

Thanks for sharing, looks marvelous. As often is the case, Insiders, cutting edge of travel;

World’s Best Trip: Santorini, Greece - Articles | Travel + Leisure

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Incredible, just stunning pictures.

Thanks, IAHFLYR!  The sail in the volcano was truly one of the highlights of the trip, especially being able to swim in it.  The water is saltier than anything I've experienced in the Atlantic or Pacific, which surprised me.  But the sunset -- even beyond swimming in an active volcano -- was like nothing I have ever seen from land.  I couldn't believe my camera got those photos of the masted ships right in front of the huge sun.  It was an incredible experience!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

One day Prof, one day I'll take the Mrs and discover Greece with your experiences as the force behind the trip.

Just let me know when you decide and I'll help you plan your trip by land and sea in the land of the most beautiful water and sky .  BTW, I don't know if you're into helicopters but they did helicopter tours of the island and volcano too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...