71 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2014 2:31 PM by iahflyr RSS

Delay in Posting Stay Credit From Marriott

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I noticed a specific member started a thread about their account lagging credits. I thought I'd open a general thread....

For as many years as I can remember, stays and points will post to my account normally 2 days after checkout. Maybe twice per year, the credit wouldn't show up until the 3rd day. So far in 2014, the norm is starting to be 3 days. That's unfortunate, but tolerable.

A new delay, of up to 7 days, has now happened with my last 3 stays. Once was a nuisance, twice was a concern, now three is a big problem. I track everything. When things are late, for no apparent justifable reason...I go bonkers . I was chatting with a gentleman last night while dining at the FFI in Baltimore. He shared the same concerns. He also has experienced this slow down in credit postings. So, is this an epidemic? A new delayed strategy by Marriott Corporate? Some type of reporting error at hotel level that is spreading?

Anyone else with the issue?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, USA
  • Re: Delay in Posting Stay Credit From Marriott
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I think it might be lazy, just flat out lazy at the hotel level.  When I queried my last stay they told me my MR account number wasn't on the reservation which was plain hog wash, how else did they know I was Platinum at the Front Desk?

Not that Marriott would purposely delay crediting an account in hopes the traveler might forget? 

Good questions for sure painedplatinum, very good questions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Interestingly enough, my USAir and American Airline miles never fail to show up in 48 hours. Marriott needs to do better.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

I've also noticed a delay a few times.  However, it might be that it coincides with when the actual credit card charge hits your account.  Might be worth checking that.

halnewhouser Platinum

No. Credit card charges are going through just fine. Charges are posting to my credit card account one day after checkout.

vickisocal Platinum

Horribly, horribly slow for the last 6 weeks or so. 7-20 days to get efolio. Used to always be 2 days, always. Haven't gotten anything for checkout on 6/20 yet.

PS Credit card charge hit 6/21

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I am experiencing the "daily-double".  I am seeing folio's only randomly, and stays at specific properties are either taking long periods of time (10-14 days) or not showing up at all.  I agree with Pained, if the airlines can do it, why can't marriott??

vickisocal Platinum

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't used to be so prompt.

erc Platinum

I've faced similar issues as all above, and just took it as the new normal.

Living in DC, I'm used to the approach for campaigns, "yeah, I'm bad but my opponent is worse - vote for me".

I believe vickisocal you may have identified (along with halnewhouser's I.T. observation) one of the possible explanations; "It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't used to be so prompt".  If you are a new Rewards member (and there are millions) this becomes the new standard.

The greater team will no doubt shed light on the mystery, so all is well **

** author's cynicism may be a residual effect from the United smackdown he experienced

I think the "greater team" should be identified!!!!!

jmart Member

Ha! No secrets here at all, it's just an easy way for us here on the Marriott RI team to refer to Marriott employees across specific teams (i.e. Rewards; Customer Service, Social Media, IT) that can help out as needed based on the question or discussion. Hope that clears things up a bit!

Jojoangel Platinum 1 Reviews

I am also seeing delays.  I checked out Sunday the 22nd and just now (within the last 5 minutes) I received the 'Thanks for staying' email.  So I should see points tomorrow...but it has always 2 days.  Why are we seeing this happen more and more? I have three more stays in July and I will be expecting the same delays. 

gatordwv Platinum

I've noticed the same recently but thought it was just me. My last two stays (at different brands in different cities) have gone past the 10 days one must wait before submitting a Missing Stay Request so I've completed that and been credited within 24 hours of submission. Hope this isn't a trend and a developing problem. It definitely pays to monitor your account! (Just last week I was reverted from Platinum Premier to Silver status because of a system glitch having something to do with my recent approval for a MR Chase Corporate Visa. Took a week to get that straightened out. C'mon MR, you can do better!)

halnewhouser Platinum

I'm having the same problem.

I'd like to think that Marriott is attempting to fix this but I've seen no evidence of such.

zippo12 Member 2 Reviews

I have stayed 3 different times at Residence Inns and Marriott since May 15.  The first one, from Residence Inn in Bismarck, ND, wasn't posted until after June 8 after I reported a missing stay.  The second, from Residence Inn in Indianapolis, was posted within 2-3 days.  The third, from Marriott in Dayton, OH, hasn't posted yet from June 15.  Just sent the missing stay report about it.  Reward programs from other chains sometimes take 7-10 days while some only take a couple days.  It's ridiculous that we have to keep reporting missing stays.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I had the same issue a few weeks ago but now they are showing up relatively quickly as in the past.  Maybe it was a problem during a specific week range?  Mine was the first week in June, took until the 3rd week to post.  Is there a correlation with the dates for everyone?

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I have 2 upcoming reservations, in July and August.  I will make sure my points are posted promptly, as they have been in the past.  If they are not, I will report back on this thread.  Thanks for the heads up on this issue fellow MRIs!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I've noticed it now takes about a week (7 days) after checkout to post the points.  On my last trip I stayed at 5 different properties and they were consistent.  Got all the points I earned a few days later than I had in the past.  Accurate but later.  And I do monitor closely.  Thanks for raising issue and hopefully the properties will tighten up their reporting making it easier for us to monitor our stays.

halnewhouser Platinum

This problem looks to be with Marriott's central IT systems, not the properties. I've checked and properties are submitting as usual.

Looks like it's time to bring in the "greater team" to find out what the heck is going on!

ansaa. merb, jmart, The specified item was not found., what in the world is happening??

jmart Member

Yes - we have already started a query with the Marriott crew and they are definitely looking into this. I hope to have some answers after the weekend to report back. They do need details from a few people who've experienced the issue, and are already researching halnewhouser's account. If anyone else wants to send me a private note with their Rewards number and details of the delayed postings, that will help us better research the issue to hopefully implement a fix. Thanks for your patience, everyone. And have a great weekend!

retailbird Platinum

Hello Jmart

you might want to look into issues around event stays (e.g. conference, expo - where a group code has been used).  I am still waiting for a stay ended 6/14 for points from Marriott Mag Mile.  I have already escalated and sent in a scanned receipt -- I normally do not worry about my paper copy, but have been grabbing it since the delays started this year.

I had a similar long delay when I stayed at the NY Marquis in January.  Both of these stays were over 5 days and included an event stay and a non-event stay (I eventually combined them together before arriving).

I don't like having to track my stays - although I am already life-time gold, I am working towards lifetime platinum and renewing platinum annual.  It is frustrating to have to double-check Marriott's work. 

FYI, having the same problem with card-spend "nights"- they never seem to arrive on time (e.g. I get a bill for $3200, which should translate to one night, but I don't see it for another month or two).

Hope this helps.

superchief1 Platinum

I stayed at a FS Marriott and a Hampton Inn earlier this week. My HH points were posted the following day, but I'm still waiting for MR points and Efolio. I have definitely noticed a delay in points posting, and have had to request missing points more in the past year than the previous 20 yeaars.

Right superchief...  With the technology around today, you would expect an industry leader, like Marriott, to get better, not worse than their competition. IHG is my backup chain and stays post like clockwork. The responses to this thread are telling me that Marriott has a problem. Even worse, if jmart and the crew are collecting info from us, that means that Marriott doesn't know or doesn't care. It would be hard to believe that Marriott doesn't know that stays that used to post in 48 hours now are taking considerably longer.

You have nailed it painedplatinum  We all know that Marriott monitor this forum.  I have always thought Insiders was good for 2 reasons.  Firstly sharing experiences and getting advice from other MRIs.  Secondly, letting Marriott know of concerns through the forum.  Marriott must know there is a problem - so why couldn't jmart get an explanation straight away?  I agree, does this mean they don't care?

jmart Member

Rest assured - Marriott does care! I'm not trying to make excuses, but some issues do take a bit of investigation if they involve more than one department (i.e. billing and IT). Couple that with summer travel schedules for Marriott employees as well and not every answer is as easy to get to immediately. Please know that I am staying on top of this for you and my hope is that we'll start to get to some answers to share back with you tomorrow. You will all be the first to know!

I am sure you are very sincere in what you say jmart.  But please also bear in mind that on 18th June I asked a very important question about having particular bulky medical supplies delivered to Marriott hotels.  The specified item was not found. assured me he was on to it and would get back to me.  I haven't heard anything at all since then.  So does Marriott really care?

jmart Member

Hi Tommo781. I'm glad you reminded us about this question, as we did get some information back while Josh was out on vacation (he'll be back online next Monday). I just responded to that string, so take a look when you have a moment. Thanks.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

In general my stays post quickly (within 2-3 days).

My most recent stay ended last Thursday and activity to my account updated late Sunday night or early Monday morning. I was watching my account activity after reading this discussion so I could share my experience. So far things look reasonably normal. It took slightly longer than 48 hours, but the weekend might have had something to do with that.

halnewhouser Platinum

So prior to attempting to find a resolution via this site, I had filled out the customer service web form on Marriott.com.

I had asked for a status update by responding to the canned initial response that I received from that web form.

Here's what I received today.  Not very confidence inspiring as I can't tell that they even understand the issue. What's the nonsense concerning signing up for eFolios????

I'm a huge Marriott fan but responses like these create negative experiences. Shouldn't we be able to expect more from Marriott customer service?

"Thank you for your reply.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We did locate that our development team is researching the information on eFolios not being sent in a 72 hour time frame. Unfortunately, they do not send any feedback on these issues from the development team.

If you are enrolled in our eFolio service, you will be e-mailed an electronic copy of your hotel bill within 72 hours of check-out.  This service is available for all participating Marriott properties in the U.S. and Canada.

To enroll in the Marriott Rewards eFolio service, please complete the following steps:

1.  Direct your web browser to: www.marriottrewards.com 

2.  Enter your account number or e-mail address, as well as your password in the appropriate fields to access your Marriott Rewards account.

3.  Please click on the "MENU" button located in the upper left corner of the page, then click on "My Account" from the dropdown menu.

4.  On the next page, please click "Profile."  After locating the "Email Preferences" section near the bottom left side of the "Profile" page, please click "Edit."

5.  The eFolio preference option is located under the heading "Information About Your Stay."  Please select the "Subscribe" radio button in this section, then click "Save" to save the change.

If you have signed up for our eFolio service but are not receiving some eFolios following your Marriott stays, your internet service provider may be recognizing your eFolios as spam and rejecting them. Please add the following email address to your email address book to ensure that you receive eFolios in the future:

efolio@marriott.com
    efolio@renaissancehotels.com
    efolio@courtyard.com
    efolio@fairfieldinn.com
    efolio@residenceinn.com
    efolio@springhillsuites.com
    efolio@towneplacesuites.com
    efolio@marriottvacationclub.com

If we can be of further assistance, we invite you to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Marriott."

jmart Member

Hi everyone. I want to thank each and every one of you for providing detail so we could better look into this for you (and also for your patience). Here's the scoop:

The Marriott Rewards team collaborated with the Technical Support department to better understand the system problems you were all experiencing. The tech support team confirmed that they indeed were experiencing a system issue that created a delay in stays posting from about mid-June, continuing up through a couple of days ago. They tell me a fix is now in place and the stays should be back to posting at their normal rate.

I also know they reached out to a few of you specifically, so my hope is that you will all begin to see postings at the quicker rate to which you're accustomed. Feel free to reach out if that's not the case. Thank you.

retailbird Platinum

for what it is worth - I got a reply from "Marriott, Stay Add" today.

They did add my nights from early June - albeit under a different hotel name (Kansas City or Chicago, I guess they are close enough).

I'm a Marriott fan, but this is the second or third time this has popped up in 2014 ( looks like you had a similar issue in January).   IT needs to get the issue fixed so that your more/most loyal customers don't have to start keeping tabs on you.

Best regards

jmart,

Thanks for the update and working to solve issues such as this howver; IT at Marriott seems to be lacking a consistent product all the way from the selection of service providers for WiFi right down to this issue.  Then we have a history of MI glitches that recently appear to have gotten better.  Anyway, keep on keepin on and stay on top of these IT folk.

jmart

Thanks for the response. In a more perfect world, the "tech support" team would have given the Customer service group a heads up to the issue so when people have been calling in, they would have been able to let them know of a temporary problem. By not communicating, the Customer Service team was in the dark and repeating the canned "week to 10 days" line. That just caused more frustration. Once again, thanks for your follow up.

jmart Member

I don't disagree and I'm working to provide recommendations for always improving communications for our members. This is top of the list!

Excellent

halnewhouser Platinum

jmart,

Marriott needs to be aware of and improve on the extremely poor handling of this issue by the Marriott Rewards phone support.

The representative I spoke with was rude and refused to listen. He kept chanting, "We don't credit stays until 10 days after checkout." I explained that I didn't want the credits right now. Rather I wanted Marriott to investigate what had changed that was causing eFolios and credits to be delayed. With a raised pitch, he stated, "Nothing has changed!"

Well, he was clearly wrong.

We are doing Marriott a favor by helping to solve problems such as these. On the top of the fact that we are paying customers.

Marriott IT can easily avoid problems like this in the future by automating monitoring of business processes. Marriott customer service can provide better training for call center personnel.

I'm disappointed that I have to point this out and that I've had to beg for proper support.

jmart Member

Yikes - I'm so sorry to hear that! You are absolutely right that's not how you should be spoken to and I will provide this feedback to the team now. And please know there are many of us who do appreciate the help in getting to the bottom of issues.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

halnewhouser

On this occasion I would have hung up and called back. The folks in Salt Lake City as usually really great but maybe since I am a Gold elite I haven't dealt with any surly reps. My experience has honestly always been very professional and quite friendly. I honestly hope this was an isolated event for you.

halnewhouser Platinum

I did hang up and call back. I then requested & was connected to a supervisor. The supervisor was nice but never followed up with me in any way.

As far as phone support, I'm a Platinum BTW as you noted you're a Gold, I've found it very uneven. When the question is straightforward and common, the phone support is quite good. When the question isn't straightforward and the representative can't fall back on a script, I've found the support to be quite weak. Furthermore, there isn't good follow up when the issue isn't resolved on the first call.

Again, I'm a big Marriott fan. Nonetheless, there are areas in which Marriott should improve.

It's luck of the draw. Most of the time the folks on the phone are fine. Once in a while they are exceptional. Occasionally they can be completely unhelpful.

I fall into those categories myself, now that I think about it.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Since this thread was originally about points/stays/efolios, I would reiterate that I have experienced a slowdown of sorts in all categories.  That said, I have NEVER found ANYONE on the phones at Marriott to be anything but helpful, respectful, and willing to stay on the line until something gets resolved.  I would not characterize it as 'luck of the draw' at all.  In fact, having never experienced it in the least, I would suggest that rudeness is random at best.  Let's not paint with such a large brush that we lose sight of the great work these workhorses provide.

shoeman

jmart Member

Thanks for the nice words, shoeman1000! Glad to hear you've had such positive interactions with Marriott. I will share this as well as the team will love hearing it.

halnewhouser Platinum

It's wonderful that you've had such positive experiences.

The fact remains that the MR phone representatives did not handle this issue well. I'm not the only one that has noted this. The refrain was, "Our policy is to post points ten days after checkout." They weren't listening and they were closed to fact that an IT problem existed.

We should be able to expect much better than that.

None of this is to take away from jmart's hard work in driving a solution and providing timely communication. However, this was the third avenue I utilized to try to get a resolution. The first two avenues--phone and email--were major service fails.

In general I agree with you shoeman1000. We do notice more when things don't happen the way we want than when they do. Marriott does a better job of resolving most issues the first time than many other companies. When they don't, it will likely show up on this forum. The same thing is true about bad experiences at specific properties.

We also get to hear about the great encounters MRIs have with Marriott staff. The routinely good service we get every day is what goes unnoticed.

highmaintenance13 Gold 3 Reviews

bejacob if people are experiencing late posting of points, would there still be a delay if you are trying to do instant reward redemption during your stay? I know that should probably become another thread, but not sure.

Interesting question. My guess would be that there wouldn't be a delay. Deducting points happens quickly, it seem to be the awarding points that is slow. Sounds like a conspiracy that folks like erc and IAHFLYR might want look into more closely.

erc Platinum

Can't be of any assistance. My points are too dear to get involved with Instant Redemption

Marriott Rewards Instant Redemption

Listing of the Awards required to redeem specific dollar values:

Points RequiredUp to Dollars
            2,500 $ 5
            9,000$20
            20,000$50
            35,000$100
            59,000$200
            100,000$500

$1000

Homey Don't Play Dat

In the for what it's worth department, we had a quick overnight to Austin on July 3rd for a friends 50th birthday party then returned home on July 4th.  We stayed at an Embassy Suites close to the venue and when I checked my Hilton Honors account yesterday the points and night stay had already been posted.  Let's see, that would be checking out on a holiday weekend and Hilton completes the process by Sunday of the same weekend!!!!

Come on Marriott, get busy.

superchief1 Platinum

I checked out of the Marriott Sea Tac on 7/2 and my points still have not posted. I received my Efolio on 7/5. I don't understand this decline in service for Marriott, especially in the traditional FS properties. I suggest they focus on restoring quality service for existing hotels rather than their rapid expansion and acquisition of new chains. 

rbmia Platinum

I have been staying at the same hotel for a few months now and get postings differently every time.  I check out on Friday's and usually see my credit card post on Monday, and then points on Tuesday.  Once my card posts it takes 2-3 days to get my email of my charges. There are times it takes an entire week after I check out to get my points posted, and in very rare occations is it done early (last week I checked out on Thursday and got my points on Saturday).

For me, if I am short a few points in order to use them for a personal vacation then it takes the longest to post.

I just was at the London Heathrow Ren and while the points posted to my account I have not yet received an email with the e-folio info.  I had to call and get it.  Maybe this is something because it was international or maybe its a bug but I swear I got them from previous stays abroad.  Anywho, they did post on the 3rd after checking out on the 1st.

zuk,

I'm happy to report that the last 2 stays for me have posted within the 2/3 day norm of old. I'm happy again!

suzysharp Platinum

Zuk-

When you do get your credit make sure its correct. I'm still battling with customer service over 5 stays in England, 4 of them I only got points for the incidentals, one still hasn't shown up and I checked out on June 15! 2 different customer service reps and so far only one has been corrected...

Hi Suzy,

My stay at the LHR Ren looks to have credited correctly with 3,787 base + 1,894 elite.

I have however recently not been getting my check-in points awarded for point redemption stays....frustrating.

erc Platinum

Similarly, I would say about one in five of my full service stays forget to add the check in bonus (which is easily resolved with a call to Customer Service, but yes, it does get old having to often follow up). And whereas I don't even bother playing the $100 guarantee dance, it does surprise me when occasionally, even those properties who ask if I want the point bonus, forget to add it (apparently they didn't do it right then and forgot later).

Oh well, like I said in my earlier post; I just treat it as the New Normal and train myself to expect what I inspect.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Although I had also recently seen a delay in posting stays, my last stay at an MVC property for 7 days, checkout Sunday, was posted today Tuesday.  That's very acceptable to me.  Thanks painedplatinum for raising the issue.

Location Brand Hotel
    Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, USA
    suzysharp Platinum

As I said in my reply to Zuk I've been dealing with a lot of issues of slow posting and incorrect posting. I first noticed it as chase gave me more points on the credit card then marriott did for the stays. The first response I got simply blamed the London office but I think its more then that. I'm on to my second customer service rep, hopefully she will actually help as the first claimed to only recieve part of my fax but never contacted me to tell me... it shouldn't be this hard!!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I believe it was April & May when I noticed a delay in posting stays to my rewards account.  In the last 10 days I have stayed at 5 different hotels:  FFI&S at Buffalo Airport, Springhill Suites Toronto Vaughan, Residence Inn Toronto Vaughan, Courtyard Brampton ON and FFI&S Elmira NY.  I promptly received my eFolio and points exactly 2 days after check-out from each respective property.  

superchief1 Platinum

It has now been a week since my checkout at Marriott Sea Tac and still no points. My credit card was charged immediately and I received my Efolio several days ago. I would expect a full service Marriott in the US to be more prompt in posting points. I am beginning to wonder if some properties are purposely not posting points (or awarding bonuses similar to VA and some health insurance companies) to save money. They may assume that many members will not follow up, thus resulting in savings to the property. This is becoming rather annoying and I am disappointed in Marriott.

A week is too long, superchief

I say we raise this up again to the "greater team" as it appears the IT folks have yet to solve the issue.  jmart, KatieC, The specified item was not found. what say thee?

KatieC Member

Thanks for looping us in, IAHFLYR. We're on the case and will report back.

KatieC Member

All - I've been told there are no known issues with delays at this time. Please let me know if this is not the case and we will continue to do our best to help you.

superchief1 - I looked into your account and the stay at the SeaTac Marriott from 6/30-7/2 posted on 7/4. All good?

KatieC,

Well it seems there are some who are experiencing delays so from my seat next to my fellow geezer ERC it appears something isn't working correctly.  Is there an IT cover up maybe?

superchief1 Platinum

Katie, Thanks for the follow up. I have to apologize to the property. The glitch is on the Marriott Rewards website. When I click to see account activity, the time frame shows 7/1-7/10, and there is no posting of points from my stay. However, when I checked the previous month (which I assumed to be June), I noticed the posting on 7/4. I'm not sure if others are experiencing this problem with the account activity. I would have expected it to be included in the 7/1-7/10 activity report.