8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2014 10:18 AM by fschumpert RSS

Suggestions Please: Myrtle Beach resorts

jlsmith Platinum 14 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

Currently I have a room booked at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes. However, after reading the comments and speaking with Allison at the hotel, I'm not comfortable with staying at this resort. Allison told me she was a manager, but didn't know what information was provided on their website. If Allison really is a manager, I got the feeling that if there was a problem she would not be willing to fix it.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a consistent resort in Myrtle Beach.

This is my mother's annual trip since my father passed last year, and I really want things to be nice and smooth, any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
  • Re: Suggestions Please: Myrtle Beach resorts
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Never have stayed at the Marriott resort property but have stayed at the Marriott Vacation Club property adjacent to it many times.  They both are right on the beach in a great location with many restaurants and activities near by.  I would advise you to ask for the Concierge or GM at the hotel before making a decision about it.  The grounds are attractive at the hotel and the restaurant is good.  I see some comments on this site are negative, but you're going to have a hard time getting a reservation in the Summer in a better location than this.  Wish I could help you more, good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jlsmith,

The Myrtle Beach Mariott Resort is my favorite property at Myrtle Beach.  I've always been impressed with the amenties and staff at this property.  I've taken a tour of the Marriott Vacation Club (Oceanwatch Villas) property next door and it also seems nice.  I would not recommend staying at any of the other Marriott properties in the area as they are away from the ocean.

If you decide to try a non-Marriott property at Myrtle you may want to look at Island Vista.  Its a nice quiet resort property that also offer villa type rooms like the Vacation Club property.  http://www.islandvista.com/

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Being native of S.C., I've been to Myrtle Beach numerous times, and have stayed at both Ocean Watch Villas (MVC) and Marriott Hotel (on right in photo) several times, most recently this June.

Myrtle Beach-Litchfield - 2013 031.jpg

The hotel is a resort so no concierge floor, or room, but there are several good restaurants on site, by the pool (The Cove) and hotel dining room.....

Cove Restaurant.jpg

For offsite dining, drive toward Myrtle Beach and eat at the Sea Captain's House, but go early (5:00 PM) for dinner, or expect to wait;  lunch is also less expensive..

Myrtle Beach-Litchfield - 2013 011.jpg

There's also a nice discount, shopping mall approximately three miles from the hotel in North Myrtle, just off Hwy. 17.

There are several swimming pools - and water slide - for adults and youth, along with not-so-crowded beach walking area...

Myrtle Beach-Litchfield - 2013 040.jpg

Myrtle Beach-Litchfield - 2013 048.jpg

Hope you enjoy your stay....

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I'm not a native but love this part of SC.  Great post and photos fschumpert.  I could live here all year round!

Location Brand Hotel
      Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
      jlsmith Platinum 14 Reviews

Fabulous info! Thanks fschumpert!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

jlsmith, don't know from which direction you're coming to Myrtle Beach, but we normally take I-20 East toward Florence and then short distance on I-95, exit at sign to Myrtle Beach (Hwy 501/301). After you pass Galivants Ferry and before you reach Conway, take Hwy 22 toward North Myrtle Beach, and you'll intersect with Hwy 17. Go South toward Myrtle Beach, and about 3 miles you'll see Ocean Watch entrance on the left. The Marriott Hotel offers valet parking, but I'd suggest parking yourself in garage next to the hotel. You can walk through the hotel to the parking lot (park underneath to keep auto out of hot sun!)

If you've never been to Murrel's Inlet, drive south on 17, taking by-pass around Myrtle Beach, and follow signs. Lot's of eating places here. Then, drive a few miles south and visit wonderful Brookgreen Gardens and the ruins of earlier gardens' owner, across 17 from the garden entrance (Huntington Beach). Another short venture from there is Pawley's Island, with its quaint beach houses, and the "first developed beach property in the U.S." Further south is the beautiful hamlet (town) of Georgetown - all a delightful day trip from North Myrtle!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...