2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2014 4:13 AM by tommo781 RSS

Time Marriott advertised for joined up thinkers...

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott's latest hotel stay offer here in the UK is the "More Summer" promo. This cancellable rate works out cheaper than the non-refundable advance rate and combines with the restaurant to offer guests 15% off. An attractive deal. Except the catch... Pay with Visa. The problem with Visa payment is that the UK credit card Marriott so assiduously promotes to its UK guests, is.... Mastercard!

So Marriott wants us to hold its branded Mastercard, and gives us 10,000 points to do so, but then actively discourages us from using its own branded card when staying at its own branded hotel! How nuts is that?

Maybe they don't want to pay out the double points we get when using the Marriott card at Marriott hotels, though I'm not sure Corporate is that skint. Or is Marriott doing a Ratner* about it's pretty poor UK card which pales so significantly next to its US offering? Or is it just a lack of joined up thinking in Bethseda?

And now to the question. The only Visa I carry is a debit card... Is it OK to use the Visa debit card to get the rate, or does it have to be a Visa credit card?

*Gerald Ratner, a UK-wide jeweller, joked during a public speech that his companies products were "****" and would last no longer than a lunchtime sandwich, sending his business to the scrapyard in the process.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Time Marriott advertised for joined up thinkers...
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

bobbyboy,

This is funny (ironic) stuff. A few years back, the U.S. Marriotts featured the quarterly promotion featuring 50,000 points if you paid with a Visa card and stayed 20-25 nights. My wallet didn't have a Visa, just a US Airways Mastercard and an AMEX card. I really didn't want to add the third card and missed out on the promotional points, even though I stayed over 40 nights during the period. That was a tough pill to swallow.  The Marriott/Chase credit card was in fact a Visa, so the promo made sense for those two parties. I eventually added the Marriott/Chase Visa. I'm happy with my decision, but the irony for me was the same type of Visa only promo has not been seen since.

I've always been in agreement that our U.K., Canadian, European (klaus29), and worldwide friends should be able to realize equal benefits from a Credit Card as we in the U.S.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Time Marriott advertised for joined up thinkers...
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

As you say brightlybob!  I too have a Marriott credit card in the UK, which we know is Mastercard.  What a ridiculous offer.  And thanks to you as well painedplatinum for saying that we should be entitled to equal benefits as the US on a Marriott credit card.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...