13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2014 10:54 AM by barrpat RSS

Goodbye Marriott

Travelin'Surveyor Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This is difficult thing to say but I will be leaving the Marriott Group due to supposed changes in their Rewards policy.  I have more than 250 nights over the last 3 years ALL booked in my name but paid with Corporate Credit Card.  I am now being told that I am ineligible for Rewards Points since I am not paying the hotel DIRECTLY.  Every single stay has been done in the same manner in the past.  The Marriott Rewards Program has always been an important part of my decision on where to stay, and it is MY decision, this and airline miles are the only perk I get from my extensive travels.

I have contacted the Hilton Group and they have assured me that I will receive their Honors points and the will even reinstate my Diamond status after only 10 nights this year, so while I enjoy the upper end hotels of the Marriott Group, without the rewards points it is not worth it.

Take a look and re-evaluate if you travel often and book your stays in the same manner that I do.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Goodbye Marriott
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Wow. That is terrible. You should always be awarded the points for your stays no matter if it's a corporate card or not.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

When I traveled for work I'd have the reservation in my name, using a government credit card in my name and never have had a problem with Marriott, never. 

Travelin, you should have someone verify this before taking the complete jump.  Hopefully jmart, The specified item was not found., merb or ansaa of the Marriott Insider team can help.

I have sent 2 emails over the 3 days in response, no reply from these emails.  I finally called the Platinum Customer Service hotline today asking them to verify this policy and the fact that I would NOT receive Marriott Rewards points and was told "That is correct, this is our policy"

This has amazed me because I usually stay at the high end Marriott's ($250-350/night) when I travel and they do not seem concerned to keep my business.  As I mentioned, up until 3 yrs ago when I proclaimed my loyalty to Marriott I was a Diamond member of Hilton, they were thrilled to invite me back and reinstate my Diamond status and I haven't stayed there in over 3 years.

jmart Member

Hi there - I've heard some good news from my end that you are now all set. But I want to make sure that's accurate - let me know when you have a moment. Thanks.

jmart Member

IAHFLYR Glad to hear you've had success with a similar situation, and thanks for the tag. I did see @Travelin'Surveyor's unfortunate experience and I am already all over it. We don't like to hear about disappointment with the program, let along losing a very valuable and loyal member. My hope is that we will get this sorted out as you suggest. I will be back in touch as soon as I have something to report.

In the meantime, @Travelin' - will you please send me a private message with your Rewards number should the team want that to better get to the bottom of this?

Thank you.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Based on the wording of the original post, I'm seeing something different. If you book a hotel room (or your company books it for you) and you pay with a credit card you should get points regardless of whose name is on the card. But (and this is what I'm reading from the post because of the emphasis on the word DIRECTLY) if the company prepays your stay that's a different situation altogether. They could be claiming the points themselves.

For example, my brother and sister in law come to Bangkok to visit us occasionally. They can't afford a Marriott. So I book the room under my name and pay for it with my credit card. I get the points, not them, even though they are the ones who register and sign.

erc Platinum

That's the way I read it also @john_thai and jmart  has done the legwork and responded favorably, so to paraphrase the Clash, what say you original poster, @Travelin'Surveyor, Will you stay or will you go?  Inquiring minds want to know.

"

what say you original poster, @Travelin'Surveyor, Will you stay or will you go?  Inquiring minds want to know."

Jmart did contact me a couple times yesterday and tell me that she was looking into it and again when she had resolved the issue and provided the points so I thank you Jmart.  I also received a phone call from Marriott Customer service explaining that there was NO change in policy and I should have received the points in the 1st place so I do appreciate the response once my issue was made public but I am still a bit surprised by the Marriott CS response or lack of response prior to my posting here.

In the end ALL IS WELL and I am booked at KC Marriott next week and the for the 1st time in a couple years I will be using some of these points for a personal trip to the FL Keys.

Thank you Jmart for your intervention.

jmart Member

I am so happy to hear this, @Travelin'Surveyor (even though I can't seem to tag you)! It is a shame it took you so long to get to the bottom of it, but your perseverance paid off - and I was happy to help. Have an amazing time in the Keys. And now, thanks to erc, I will fire up some classic Clash on my Spotify now.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Happy to see that this got straightened out for you!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great news.....another feather in the jmart cap!

Unfortunately the same thing happened on my next trip.  Thinking that Marriott is having some internal/customer service  issues.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

This was my experience too; but Marriott has been a generational thing for my family. Traveled worldwide staying Marriott and most of those stays were on my employers' dime and the points and status stayed with them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...