6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2014 2:57 PM by gm1 RSS

How to (possibly) get a cheaper fare with international carriers

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I saw this article the other day and thought it was really interesting!  Will definitely give it a try next time I travel out of country.  Anyone ever try this?

Use A Fake Location For Cheap Airfare - Business Insider

Basically the article is saying to (if possible) search for fares and book the flight using the airlines' native currency.  Totally not a problem with the Chase MR Elite Visa Sig. 

• Re: How to (possibly) get a cheaper fare with international carriers
    john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

In a word, no. It doesn't work. I just tried for jollies to price a B/C R/T SFO/BKK on United using US and again using Thailand as point of purchase. The Thailand was actually about $50 more.

What does work is if you buy the ticket and start travel outside the US. For instance BKK/SFO/BKK in THB can be a whole lot less than  SFO/BKK/SFO in USD. Problem is you have to get from SFO to BKK on a one way to start the travel. When I was doing this trip 4 or 5 times a year I would buy a SFO/BKK/SFO departing SFO in Jan and returning in Dec. Then while in BKK I would buy BKK/SFO/BKK and save about $1,000 per ticket.

So if you're going some place regularly, you can save some money.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

KH,

Thanks for posting the article.  I found it interesting.  Nonetheless, I too have never been able to get it to work.  I have tried with both Air France and Lufthansa, on their websites in French and German (France and Germany as the purchasing point) with pricing in Euros.  It costs the same in some instances (currency conversion considered) and sometimes more.  But I only tried with international routes.  Perhaps there is something to booking domestic routes entirely within the EU (or foreign country).  I'll have to check it out the next time I need to book a domestic flight within a foreign country. 

Where I find that it does work is with booking trains on sncf.com (as opposed to raileurope.com), trenitalia.com and bahn.de.  I have to do some translating with google translate, but the effort has paid off with booking online, in advance and on the website using the foreign country as the purchase point.  I have saved money on rail tickets doing it this way.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai & pluto77,

I tried a search for HNL-NRT/HND and I too wasn't able to get any better fares.  Though I do believe Pluto's recommendation on using it for intra-Europe, or even intra-Asia flights might work better.  Will have to play with it and see what happens. 

I was told that booking on sncf.com and trenitalia.com were cheaper than using raileurope, but I got too frustrated and fell back to raileurope haha

ks77, hope you have better luck than we've had so far! 

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

If you are flexible in your travel destinations, there are two sites that are great for lazy people like myself.  TheFlightDeal.com and FareDealAlert.com can be valuable resources for both international and domestic travel.  Each site publishes a daily newsletter (free subscription) with fare low fare deals for both domestic and international flights.  From time to time, mistakes fares are also listed as was the "fuel dump?" through the Norwegian site wideroe.no last November.  The newsletters hit my inbox usually around 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time each day.  Often, I will check the sites early in the morning just in case any really great deals are listed. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...