6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2014 5:22 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Certificates: Earn 'em and burn 'em

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

When it comes to allowing my Certificates to expire, everyone in Insiders knows, there's nothing I like better than to    Erc...is this boy related to

PS - this search came up as Erc, is this boy related to you?
  Vaboy has entered Insiders into the Google lexicon

With expiration dates creeping closer; One solution,
A modern Animal House remake
ROAD TRIP!  

Mrs. Erc loved the idea, 
Photo of a woman saying so off we went.

I had two Cat. 5s and one Cat. 4. As a big fan of the SouthPark area around Charlotte NC, the Marriott SouthPark filled the bill nicely. Wanting to only make one seven hour drive (returning) and also wanting to swing through some of the nice wineries that Charlottesville local vaboy highlighted in Virginia is for Wine Lovers 
http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/92656#92656  the Lynchburg Va. SpringHill was an excellent match, exactly half way from DC to Charlotte. Both properties continue to be well run (I have been to both several times for baseball or when I used to run with the BB&T boys) with well meaning and competent staff and yes, I would have said that about the Marriott even without the good fortune of landing the Presidential Suite on a certificate! 

20140622_145942_resized.jpg  
Barboursville Winery, home of some award winning reds outside Charlottesville

20140622_165847_resized.jpg
  Blue Mountain Brewery in Nelsen County Virginia - some great local brews

20140622_193323_resized.jpg
The Liberty Mountain SnowFlex at Liberty U. (Va.'s largest U) -
Year round skiing, snowboarding, and tubing - guys I know, like it in July (has ramps etc)
20140624_110910_resized.jpg
Charlotte NC from Metropolitan Midtown -Big banks and energy
Duke Energy tallest on left, Bank of America tallest on right
20140624_093716_resized.jpg
Plenty to do downtown - search Charlotte restaurants for great Insiders recommendations
Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, plenty of good Performing Arts and of course, Beer!

20140624_091900_resized.jpg
Opened this April, Chicago White Sox AAA team The Knights play here, great views

One final note on Lynchburg Va. As I have written before, just about 20 miles away (essentially halfway between Roanoke Va. and Lynchburg) is the National D-Day Memorial. I highly recommend this to anyone who gets this close (or even to plan a trip if you're driving The Blue Ridge Parkway). It is very inspirational and quite moving. You'll be glad you swung by.

Ok, back to Marriott Certificates:  Moral of the story: if you are a road warrior and therefore don't have the time/interest for my type of lollygagging, then you're not chasing certificates anyway, you're hunting big game, 25k points or more in your MegaBonus. But as a bottom feeder like myself logging 1-4 stays (granted, traveling more than that, but using award nights and other deals), these certificates, be they roadside or airport layovers, local overnights, or the rare full service 'find', continue to hold value. The specified item was not found., here's an idea to pass along to that infamous "greater team"; for future MegaBonuses, how about offering both, certificates or double points after two stays. Thank you.

The Greater Team

Look guys, erc's got a request!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Certificates: Earn 'em and burn 'em
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

These certificates seem to get a lot of naysayers. We hear all the time..."They're no good for here, they're no good for there"..To quote Kenny Mayne from ESPN Sports Center "It's just another case of THE MAN keeping us down". So when you get a chance to "Stick it to THE MAN"...stick 'em!!  Nice job erc.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I still love certificates be they cat 4 or 5 (the latter is, of course, preferable). This year alone, I'm using 7 of them from past promotions and the MR Visa card (5 category 5s and 2 category 4s). I am eager to see them return for the Fall MegaBonus. During that time period there is no way I will be able to achieve the 15+ nights needed for the bonus points offers. Four stays should be within reach though (I have 3 booked for November already).

Pile on the certs and I'll stick it to the MAN or anyone else you can think of.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Great post erc!  Thanks for the shout out.  Glad I helped to make you famous with Google.

Sorry I will miss you this weekend when you pass through but things are looking good for July 4th weekend.  I'll send you a private message in regards to next weekend.

jmart Member

@erc What a trip you and the Mrs. formed around your soon-to-expire certs - nice job! Looks like you had a fabulous time both on the trip and after (recanting the stories and inside jokes here with the MRI crew). That "greater team" looks like they're having fun too ;-)

I will pass along your suggestion regarding MegaBonus, as Josh is off enjoying some vacation time for the next week. Feel free to tag me, our newest member KatieC, or merb while he's away. Thanks.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

erc, Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for the recap!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ks77,

Totally agree!

Looks like a wonderful time, and great way to use the certificates!

erc, thanks for posting!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...