14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2016 4:45 PM by NeoTrinity RSS

Wailea Beach Marriott SOLD

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

That's right.  The Wailea Beach Marriott is being sold by its current owners, Blackstone Investment (Hilton).  The new owners will be Sunstone Hotel Investors Inc., whom have said that (thankfully) they'll be retaining Marriott as the hotel management company.  Furthermore, Sunstone announced that the property will receive a significant renovation in 2015/2016.  Keep this in mind if you plan on visiting Maui within the next few years.

California firm buying Maui's Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa for $326M - Pacific Business News

Other Marriott properties owned by this group includes:

Marriott Portland (OR)

Marriott Sun City (UT)

Ren Long Beach (CA)

Ren LAX (CA)

CY LAX (CA)

Marriott Houston (TX)

JW New Orleans (LA)

Ren Orlando Sea World (FL)

Ren Washington DC (DC)

Ren Baltimore Harborplace (DL)

Marriott Tysons Corner (VA)

Marriott Philadelphia (PA)

Ren Westchester (NY)

Marriott Long Wharf Boston (MA)

Marriott Quincy Boston (MA)

• Re: Wailea Beach Marriott SOLD
    gone2maui Platinum 4 Reviews

I am glad that they will keep it as a Marriott.  Nice property and absolutely beautiful grounds around the resort.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gone2maui, August will be my first stay there and I'm looking forward to it!  While not staying there, I also plan on looking around the brand new Andaz Maui as well.  Can't wait to see what they do with the Wailea Marriott during it's renovation!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

It doesn't matter to me, I never stayed there and have no desire to.  I stayed at the Ren in the area before they sold it and prefer the Lahina area to the point where I am staying at non-Marriotts now.

californian, I love the Lahaina side of the island too.  As a child, my grandparents used to take me to Maui at least once a year and we'd stay at the Sheraton in Ka'anapali... that is until they shut down for renovations.  I think it took them a year or to, during which we stayed at the Hyatt.  When they re-opened, their prices had doubled and we returned only once.  But by then, I think I was already entering middle school and began traveling with school, so the family traveling stopped for a while. 

I love Wailea too, though it's more of a relax at the resort kind of place to me.  My parents love the Grande Wailea, though we haven't stayed since the property was acquired by Hilton. 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

californian  I agree I love the Kaanapali area. Wailea is beautiful but a little to quiet for me. I like the stores and restaurants and action over in Lahaina. I have stayed at both the Sheraton Black Rock and the Kaanapali Beach Hotel and both are great. Sheraton is super expensive for the oceanfront rooms (honeymoon) and KBH is a much older property but the room rates are very affortable and you are literally steps from the beach whalers village and Black Rock. 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

kh,

Thanks for the information!

They own some nice properties!  Had no idea of the other properties this group owns! 

Have stayed at 9 of their properties, and all were very good!

jerrycoin,

I try my best   I had no idea they owned that many Marriotts either, though the only other property I've ever been to was the Ren LAX.  It's a nice property, but could use some updating.  Some portions felt like they were trying to be ultra modern, while some portions felt somewhat dated.  An overall good stay though! 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

kharada46  Thanks for the info! I hope they don't bring their Boston Long Wharf rates to Wailea! Marriott BLW is so expensive and is for some reason a category 9. I know the location is great but I can't justify $400 a night there when the Westin down the street is half the cost.

ks77, that would be awful!  I sure hope that doesn't happen.  Nearby properties such as the Four Seasons Maui and the Andaz Maui charge more than that, but their rates are justified by the luxuriousness of the properties and the amenities included. 

Depending on what you like to do most will dictate where you like to stay.  I like the Wailea/Kihei area because it is closest to some of my favorite snorkel spots.  It is also quicker to hop on the back highway and get up to Haleakala or up to Paia and on the road to Hana.  You can also get to Kahului quickly.  Convenient when you get in later in the evening into OGG and you don't want to drive all the way around the island to the Kaanapali side.  Lahaina is quaint and fun to visit for some pretty decent restaurants and shops.  The views in Kaanapali/Lahaina probably upstage the food offering, though.  Nothing beats the Maui sunset or a sunrise on Haleakala.  You can get some nice fishing charters out of Lahaina marina as well.  But so often it is choppy out between the islands.  Black Rock at the Sheraton is a good snorkeling spot as well.  Let's not mention the golf.. Both sides have some great courses.  I have done some ziplining on the island, but since I have done that, there has been some talk about safety issues.  I have to sadly admit that I stay at Hilton properties on the main island and the big island.  I was very loyal to that brand before they devalued their points - so much more than Marriott that I switched to more Marriott stays some years ago.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I like the beaches enjoy the Lahina area ones more.

I zip lined in Lake Tahoe and a month later a man was killed and the woman with him was hurt.  It closed down.  So close that it could have been me. A woman that I worked with broke her leg zipping in Costa Rica.   I will think twice about it in the future.

Unfortunately, one of the guides at the last zip line company we used there this past spring died in an accident as well just some weeks after we were there.  Too close for comfort.  Don't need to do it again anytime soon.

gone2maui.  yes!  Maui has a lot of amazing things to do, I especially love snorkeling at Black Rock.  My family used to go every year when I was a child, though we'd stay at the Ka'anapali Sheraton.  We wouldn't go to much else than the Ka'anapali/Lahaina area, though we did go to Haleakala once during the day... sadly I got carsick on the ride up because I was playing my Gameboy and really didn't get to see anything aside from the bathroom

That's why I'm excited to go back now on my own (with my wife of course) to do things I've never done before like sun rise on Haleakala.  This time I'll be driving, so no carsickness   We plan on visiting the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm, maybe I'ao Needle, maybe the blowhole on the Northwest coast.  Thinking of visiting the Pu'unene sugar museum if the wife will allow it haha!  I do want to visit Charles Lindbergh's grave... gotta visit the former chief pilot of AA!  And there's some culinary adventures I hope to fulfill... Leoda's Kitchen, Ka'ana Kitchen, Ululani's, Stillwell's Bakery & Cafe, and Sam Sato's among others.

As for the zipline, though sad, it was the fault of the employee.  She chose not to use her harness per company policy.  It was very unfortunate, very unwise decision.  The situation is even made even more sad as those that were part of the situation recall the girl saying she shouldn't have done what she did shortly before she fell...

NeoTrinity Platinum

I also am glad that they are keeping this as a Marriott managed hotel. We had a wonderful stay there and I feel that the Marriott's promotes a customer oriented staff. It seems to be quite apparent (to us anyways) that at the Marriott's staff seems to have been trained and ingrained to treat guests with absolute benevolence. (I dress like beachbum). Also. The vanishing edge pool over the ocean is just spectacular. I'm not the best photographer but here is a moonset at about 6:45AM in January.

moonsetwailea.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...